Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Taylor R.I.P.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Remembered as Turnip but what he did at Watford was exceptional, took the most TINPOT of clubs into 1st Division, FA Cup Final and Europe, even better than what Mullery did with us

RIP

And if he had achieved that lot as a Brighton manager, would we have given a flying wotsit what kind of football he played?

I certainly wouldn't. It's nice to win football matches playing silky passing football, but ultimately it's the WINNING that's most important..

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Remember watching that game as a teenager. Was daylight robbery. The Irish went mental over the Henry handball in 2010. That incident was certainly up there with that.

RIP

I remember watching that game in the Pedestrian Arms (now The Foundry) with my uncle as a kid. I think I cried at the injustice of it.

#generationsnowflake.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
R I P indeed, a sudden and untimely death of one of English football's best. He was horribly pilloried in the press after the England debacle but went on to prove what a great club manager he was.
I used to enjoy his summaries and comments on Radio 5 , sadly no more.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I remember watching that game in the Pedestrian Arms (now The Foundry) with my uncle as a kid. I think I cried at the injustice of it.

#generationsnowflake.

Nothing wrong with that in my book:thumbsup:

It was the injustice of Koeman getting away with not being given a clear red card for pulling down Platt as the last line of defence and then going up the other end and sticking one in the top corner with a trademark free-kick:sick: Who knows how we would have done in the USA. We'll never know.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

It was the injustice of Koeman getting away with not being given a clear red card for pulling down Platt as the last line of defence and then going up the other end and sticking one in the top corner with a trademark free-kick:sick: Who knows how we would have done in the USA. We'll never know.

"Tell your mate the referee he just cost me my job."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Yes we do.
We'd have stumbled through the group, and then gone out on penalties to the first half-decent team we played. Same as always.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some lovely tales of Graham Taylor just now on 5Live from Ron Atkinson and Pat Murphy. Very moving tribute from Gordon Taylor too, seems he was very much loved across the game which takes some doing these days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great person, served him once at New Street Station and he was a perfect gentleman

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
I just looked at the stats for Graham Taylor's high water mark as England manager, the 1-1 draw in Poland to qualify for Euro92. He gave Andy Gray his debut?!

http://www.11v11.com/matches/poland-v-england-13-november-1991-243297/

Starting XI:
Chris Woods
Lee Dixon
Stuart Pearce
Des Walker
Gary Mabbutt
Andy A Gray
David Platt
David Rocastle
Andy Sinton
Geoff Thomas
Gary Lineker (captain)

Subs:
Alan Smith for Andy A Gray 46
Tony Daley for Andy Sinton 70

The Crystal Palace Andy Gray and that was his only cap.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
R.I.P Graham Taylor - very sad news.

What he achieved in club management was amazing - not just with Watford but also with Villa who he got promoted and then a 2nd place finish in the top flight after a right tilt at the title with Liverpool.

He has to be England's unluckiest manager ever - we should have beaten Denmark and France in Euro 92 but wasted great chances and ended up drawing both games, while we were also leading Sweden 1-0 at half-time in the final match.

1 defeat in his first 23 matches as England manager, crucial injuries to key players at key times (Gary Stevens, Lee Dixon, John Barnes, Gazza), key men retiring after WC 90 (Butcher, Shilton, Bryan Robson) and the odd awful decision along the way (e.g. Koeman's foul in the WC 94 qualifier vs Holland).

It makes me laugh that the press vilified him when he got the England job because he hadn't won anything, although he'd been Div 1 runner-up twice and reached an FA Cup Final - compared to Big Sam and Southgate those achievements are Ferguson-esque.

An excellent summary and agree entirely

He came in off the back of a World Cup that has captivated the nation replacing Robson who had cemented his place in England history and stepped down. Massive figures in the dressing room retired with other key players reached the end of their careers

Like others I was seething with him for subbing linekar but thought on the whole he was treated disgracefully by the media and a witch hunt made his position impossible

Great manager who ended up in the job at the wrong time

RIP Graham

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But binning off our best striker in the closing stages of a game we were chasing (and for Alan bloody Smith) was a bizarre decision at the time. I remember being incredulous at it.
Shades of Ramsey substituting Charlton for Colin Bell in 1970 v West Germany - although I think we were winning that one at the time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wonder if the Sun will include the turnip photo in their obituary tomorrow?

I felt genuinely rather sad to hear this news today. Always came across as an absolutely lovely guy, with a heart of gold, an absolute passion for what he did, and a great sense of humour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here