Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Taylor R.I.P.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me neither, but then I remember that shortly before, Lineker had missed a pen v Brazil at Wembley in a friendly. He'd have matched Charlton's record with a goal - so Taylor, though imo heartless for taking Lineker off v Sweden, wasn't entirely responsible for Lineker's failure to equal the record...

Oh I never blamed him for that.

But binning off our best striker in the closing stages of a game we were chasing (and for Alan bloody Smith) was a bizarre decision at the time. I remember being incredulous at it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Sums up his England management

original

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very sad news. I'd like to think he'll be more remembered for his club management and just being a very decent bloke rather than a comical England manager. RIP Graham.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Oh I never blamed him for that.

But binning off our best striker in the closing stages of a game we were chasing (and for Alan bloody Smith) was a bizarre decision at the time. I remember being incredulous at it.
I went to a golf do and he was the speaker at the dinner afterwards and had a go at me for bringing this subject up. ****. I've got to tell the story plenty of times though, so, RIP

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
No matter what anybody can say about the results and selection as England manager, nobody could doubt that he cared and he felt it as bad as we did as fans

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
Football fans of this generation would do well to ignore the headlines of former England manager and read about his time at Watford.

From the lower leagues to the FA Cup final with his own unique brand of football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P Graham Taylor - very sad news.

What he achieved in club management was amazing - not just with Watford but also with Villa who he got promoted and then a 2nd place finish in the top flight after a right tilt at the title with Liverpool.

He has to be England's unluckiest manager ever - we should have beaten Denmark and France in Euro 92 but wasted great chances and ended up drawing both games, while we were also leading Sweden 1-0 at half-time in the final match.

1 defeat in his first 23 matches as England manager, crucial injuries to key players at key times (Gary Stevens, Lee Dixon, John Barnes, Gazza), key men retiring after WC 90 (Butcher, Shilton, Bryan Robson) and the odd awful decision along the way (e.g. Koeman's foul in the WC 94 qualifier vs Holland).

It makes me laugh that the press vilified him when he got the England job because he hadn't won anything, although he'd been Div 1 runner-up twice and reached an FA Cup Final - compared to Big Sam and Southgate those achievements are Ferguson-esque.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Very sad. One of those managers that had passion and used to kick every ball on the touchline. I thought his sidekick Laurie McMenemy would have gone first. Just shows the stress and abuse he had to take.

I expect The Sun will run some tasteless headline. He certainly deserves better than that. Took Aston Villa up and they finished runners-up in 1989/90. Fantastic achievement. The England job was just too big for him in a period of transition.

RIP to a great footballing man.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
And there it begins, 2017 claims its first hero (eventhough he just couldn't make it with England)... his Villa and Watford sides simply shook the hierarchy of English football during his halcyon days. RIP :down:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Very sad and shocking news. What he did with Watford and Villa were incredible. His time as England manager was just an unlucky period on several counts. However most of all seemed a very decent bloke. RIP

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
RIP Graham Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
To be fair to him - he managed England at a time when our pick of players to wear an England shirt was pretty shite. I don't think anybody would have done a good job with the shower of sh*t at this disposal. Unfortunately though, he didn't help himself by believing that Carlton Palmer was of international standard.

Great club manager though - RIP.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I just looked at the stats for Graham Taylor's high water mark as England manager, the 1-1 draw in Poland to qualify for Euro92. He gave Andy Gray his debut?!

http://www.11v11.com/matches/poland-v-england-13-november-1991-243297/

Starting XI:
Chris Woods
Lee Dixon
Stuart Pearce
Des Walker
Gary Mabbutt
Andy A Gray
David Platt
David Rocastle
Andy Sinton
Geoff Thomas