Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Taylor R.I.P.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
"You're talking about another human being, just watch your language, all right?"

Decent man.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A very likeable personality I always thought, who kept his sense of humour despite the vilification he had to face for years after the England job. A good pundit on R5. Sad loss.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow, that's a shock, I didn't even know he was unwell. I never quite got over the time he dropped Gascoigne for Gordon Cowans for a qualifier in Ireland, or the subbing of Lineker in his final ever England game for Alan Smith when we were losing to Sweden in the Euros. Certainly didn't shy away from the big decisions, even if they were the wrong ones.

RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Genuinely sad to hear this, I always enjoyed his punditry on 5Live and was wondering why we had not heard much of him this season. RIP Graham .

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I really hope they show that documentary again, shows a true football manager right at the sharp end.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will never forget......

'Shall I put Wrighty on ? Shall I ? Shall I put Wrighty on ?'
'Uh, um, yeah, good idea boss. Put Wrighty on'

RIP, always came across as a gent.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As rubbish as his tenure as England manager was he always came across as a nice chap. Always enjoyed watching him managing a team of celebs vs ex pros on that The Match show Sky did.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I never quite got over the time ...the subbing of Lineker in his final ever England game for Alan Smith when we were losing to Sweden in the Euros.

Me neither, but then I remember that shortly before, Lineker had missed a pen v Brazil at Wembley in a friendly. He'd have matched Charlton's record with a goal - so Taylor, though imo heartless for taking Lineker off v Sweden, wasn't entirely responsible for Lineker's failure to equal the record...

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Really bizarre. I was 2 minutes ago reading Henry Winter's excellent 50 years of hurt and I am on a chapter that focuses on his reign.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's a real shocker. Hated him as England manager; liked him as Watford manager; liked him as the occasional, slightly eccentric but knowledgeable pundit/co-commentator. RIP.

I never had a problem with him, some people don't seem to realise, that the reason certain managers play a direct, long ball style of football, is because it suits the players he has at his disposal.

RIP Graham.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Will forever be remembered as Turnip,but a nice man.R.I.P.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
RIP to a guy I thought was a good bloke, despite whatever you thought of him as a manager. I can still recall countless quotes from THAT documentary off the top of my head.................

'Carlton! We're losing the ship! Tony!'

'Can you Merse....Can you Merse...'

'I was just saying to your colleague, thank the referee for getting me sacked, won't you.'

'Can we not knock it?!'

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He had failings as a manager but in recent years was easily one of the best pundits on Radio 5. RIP.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I never had a problem with him, some people don't seem to realise, that the reason certain managers play a direct, long ball style of football, is because it suits the players he has at his disposal.

RIP Graham.

Such as Lineker, you mean?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here