Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump, how long will he last?

How long will the Trump Presidency last?

• End of the Jan

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • A year or two

Votes: 62 37.3%
  • Will lose in 2020

Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Full 8 years, the Yanks will love him

Votes: 35 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He constantly comes so close to damning himself with his loose tongue. At some point he'll say something that just is one step too far.
I'm waiting for him to declare war on someone via twitter.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
He constantly comes so close to damning himself with his loose tongue. At some point he'll say something that just is one step too far.

Bill Clinton's approval rating went up after he was impeached and after his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

You can be pretty bad and still get away with it in the US.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
My guess is that if his polling figures start to show that he's dragging down the electability of Republicans in Congress something will come to light that will either cause his impeachment or force his resignation to avoid it. I suspect they'd rather like Pence in power anyway. The only variable is whether or not they think it'll cause a significant split within the party's base if they kick him out. I would say probably not, Trump's drawn a lot of people who don't usually vote towards him, so they're unlikely to present a long term problem once he's gone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
he'll get caught with his fingers metaphorically in the till. putting his business into trusts to be run by family is a fig leaf, opportunities will arise and he wont be able to help himself take advantage. after its exposed, he'll face calls for impeachment but probably lose the re-election before they come to a head.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My guess is that if his polling figures start to show that he's dragging down the electability of Republicans in Congress something will come to light that will either cause his impeachment or force his resignation to avoid it. I suspect they'd rather like Pence in power anyway. The only variable is whether or not they think it'll cause a significant split within the party's base if they kick him out. I would say probably not, Trump's drawn a lot of people who don't usually vote towards him, so they're unlikely to present a long term problem once he's gone.

I get the impression he's a puppet with experienced Republicans pulling the strings. He'll remain as long as they have control of him.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
He seems in good health,so the full 2 terms.The Democrats are dead in the water and rapidly becoming as electable as Labour.I fully expect a third party to appear and split the Democrat vote even further.Obama will be their last President for at least 3 or 4 terms.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Democrats are dead in the water and rapidly becoming as electable as Labour.I fully expect a third party to appear and split the Democrat vote even further.

This is the party that won the majority of votes just two months ago

There's been talk of a third party in the US for decades, without it coming to anything. The last third party candidate to win an electoral college vote was George Wallace in 1968 ... and he got 13% of the vote. Since then, it's been even more skewed to the two main parties, there's not a hope in hell of a third party emerging

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
As opposed to the safety Clinton provided the US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens?

First US ambassador killed since 1979 under Clinton's watch. Yet people wanted that incompetent clown to be in charge of US safety?

Not saying that HC would have been an ideal candidate either however doesn't take a lot of intelligence to see Donald as a political catastrophe.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Not saying that HC would have been an ideal candidate either however doesn't take a lot of intelligence to see Donald as a political catastrophe.

That was the choice the voters had, the catastrophe you've already witnessed/experienced or the one that might eventuate.

They went with the one with no blood on their hands this election.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
With the current trend for non-political politics, Trump is part of a shaking up of old ways that just don't seem to be working for many people. He has 'trumped' Putin with his style so it is no wonder Putin wants to develop relations with the US. We could even see peace break out between the two big boys on the planet. Intriguing stuff.

I'm in the pessimist camp - I think he is a remarkably skilful politician whose use of humour and populist messaging ("jobs!") means he inspires great loyalty and support.

The pessimism comes from the response of the Democrat establishment who think Putin scares can defeat him - they are deluded in that as they were the horrific choice of the corrupt Clinton as their standard bearer - these arrogant idiots will create another defeat from the jaws of victory in 4 years times.

The hope lies with the proles as Orwell said and in the US context that means the grassroots support that sprang up to support Sanders. Only they have the message that can beat Trump but dumb liberals will always punch left and ensure Trump wins.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
How any American would even consider a man who has been linked with Russia to be president baffles me completely.
I would have thought that the Supreme Court coupled with the President and any authority interested in the safety of their country would be able to stop this man being inaugurated.

Pretty much as I see it too.
If he has been up to skullduggery, which IMO seems likely. I can foresee the possibility of a private meeting with Senior Senators followed by him sliding out the back door ...whilst making some patriotic reason for doing so.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
With the current trend for non-political politics, Trump is part of a shaking up of old ways that just don't seem to be working for many people. He has 'trumped' Putin with his style so it is no wonder Putin wants to develop relations with the US. We could even see peace break out between the two big boys on the planet. Intriguing stuff.

Peace breaking out will be a disaster though?

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
If he carries on with attacks on his own intelligence services I could see them leaking information that would leave Congress with no choice but to impeach him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If he carries on with attacks on his own intelligence services I could see them leaking information that would leave Congress with no choice but to impeach him.
The best way to remove any leverage Putin has over Trump is to release all the evidence.

I'm sure they'll do this if the situation demands and is serious enough.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm in the pessimist camp - I think he is a remarkably skilful politician whose use of humour and populist messaging ("jobs!") means he inspires great loyalty and support.

The pessimism comes from the response of the Democrat establishment who think Putin scares can defeat him - they are deluded in that as they were the horrific choice of the corrupt Clinton as their standard bearer - these arrogant idiots will create another defeat from the jaws of victory in 4 years times.

The hope lies with the proles as Orwell said and in the US context that means the grassroots support that sprang up to support Sanders. Only they have the message that can beat Trump but dumb liberals will always punch left and ensure Trump wins.

What he has done incredibly well is turn politics into the ultimate reality show where the lowest common denominator, populist entertainer wins regardless of what is said or done. By anyone.

Getting Mike Pence was a great security move. The U.S now has to consider what happens if they get rid of Trump mid term...they get Pence instead.

The democrats need to get their shit together, find a decent candidate and spend the next four years pulling behind him/her so that in 2020 they can smash Trump. I bet they don't though...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It's funny how over the years much of the anti-American sentiment from many was directed at the CIA and their meddling in other nations affairs. Yet now Trump is having a go at them those same people are now hypocritically screeching how dare Trump question that agency.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here