Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Man City 1979/80 footage at the Goldstone.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great footage! I'd like to be able to say 'I remember it well', but I don't - except for Gerry's goal. Was stood on the East Terrace North, I think.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm sure there will be support for it!

Thanks - is it best to speak to Bozza to get permission to do a crowdfunding post? Or is it A-OK without?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
That was fantastic to see - brings back such memories!

I was a young lad, standing on a milk crate at the back of the terrace behind the south goal - I'll never forget that Gerry Ryan goal - I remember going down to Hove Rec on the Monday to see the team train (how times have changed!) and nervously congratulating an ever modest Gerry Ryan on his fine goal.

That pitch made the Withdean one v Southend on New Years Day about 15 years ago look a quality surface!

Some terrific perms in evidence - but that team could play. Sometimes it's easy to get carried away with our love for the current crop but we have had our moments before.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I vividly remember Wardy & Ryan's goals but not Ray Clarke's. Funny that.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
East Terrace for me, towards the back, in line with the halfway line, my regular spot.
I was in my mid-twenties and married by then, so I had graduated from the North Stand as I was officially too old and was now able to view both ends of the pitch from my new position ... much better for viewing Wardy's wizadry!

That pitch was just an average playing surface in those days, there were better ones around the country ... but there were also a lot worse.
Youngsters today probably find it hard to believe good football was played on surfaces like that, but it was.

I often look at today's pitches and wonder just how good Wardy would have been on them in his prime.
Unplayable springs to mind .....

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Brilliant . Happy days of yesteryear .

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Still feel that buzz of anticipation even after all these years when Wardy gets the ball. Vicente, Zamora, Knocky, great players but nothing moves me like Peter Ward in his pomp.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Thanks for Posting this, It was my first ever match. A 13 yr old me was standing the the front of the North Stand. I was hooked from that game on. Its been a journey since that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here