Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans in disbelief at Benteke being sold?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because even with those astronomical costs Prem teams are turning a profit. Losing £10-20m a season in the Championship every year just isn't sustainable in the long run.

I get that, but it's still horrific to comprehend that teams like Palace are now paying players £100k per week. Bournemouth supposedly have players on £80k/ week. Regardless of my feelings for those teams, it just doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't if it was us either. I think if/when the time comes that we're paying our players that much, it will make me deeply uncomfortable.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get that, but it's still horrific to comprehend that teams like Palace are now paying players £100k per week. Bournemouth supposedly have players on £80k/ week. Regardless of my feelings for those teams, it just doesn't sit right with me. It wouldn't if it was us either. I think if/when the time comes that we're paying our players that much, it will make me deeply uncomfortable.

I could have just written that, sorry I mean THIS.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But I'm thinking about the top flight in an early 1980s sense I think ... a Big Match, Panini sticker album, read the match report in the Sunday tabloids kind of way.

I agree with you but what I'd say is that promotion will bring us those things above that we don't currently have...

Big Match - Match of the Day.
Panini stickers - Match Attax
Sunday papers - a big full blown report in every paper every week instead of a small column filler somewhere.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

This my deep concern would be if something were to happen to our beloved Mr Bloom, how could we survive in this league never mind the Premiership.
We are so lucky to have a Tony and I truly believe that he is trying to achieve promotion on a budget within the rules and would continue that philosophy until he thinks he can let go and trust someone else to take over the helm with the same out look.

My great fear is Tony suddenly leaving us and the vultures circle once more and pick this club to pieces as it has been before.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My main hope about the financial madness of the PL is that we keep the Bloom/Barber/Hughton Holy Trinity in place for as long as possible.

Relatively down to earth blokes who know all about traditional values in football and will do what they can to keep it as sane as possible with the best interests of the club and fans at heart.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I just don't see what the alternative is. TB is determined to get us up as he knows that is the only way for the club to become sustainable. I personally wouldn't mind going up and being relatively modest with costs like Burnley in the knowledge that if you go down you are going to be in a very healthy position with parachute payments and relatively modest outgoings.
I've been contemplating this. Given our incredible team spirit, we will surely go down the Burnley route, IF WE MAKE IT. Add incrementally to the squad with quality players, but those that CH believes can fit with our team ethic and add to rather than detract from the attributes we have currently. The core of Stockdale, Duffy, Dunk, Stephens, Kayal, Knocker, Murray would get first crack at the PL, with Bruno, Baldock and possibly others remaining part of the squad.

I would rather we did this and got relegated, than go down the Palace route. But I genuinely believe it's a better strategy to becoming an established PL club.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Should IT come to pass, then I think I'll just chose to see it that SKY are paying them the £70k a week to play for us.

This my deep concern would be if something were to happen to our beloved Mr Bloom, how could we survive in this league never mind the Premiership.

Your 'never mind the Prem' part makes no sense. Its the other way round. In that league clubs make a profit - we'd be sustainable - which is exactly why he wants us there. Its at the top end of THIS league, that a club without parachute payments is inherently unsustainable. Lose Tony's backing whilst we are here and then we have an issue.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I could have just written that, sorry I mean THIS.

I know it's just the way the game's going, and that most Premier League clubs are going to spend that cash if they have it. I know they turn profits too. I don't and never have objected to the top players earning what they do: it's basic supply and demand economics, and if Chelsea, for example, are willing to pay a player £300k per week for his disputed talent, then so be it.

But when relegation candidates are spending such vast sums of money on wages, I can't help feeling they're setting themselves up for a fall. Your team continues to play crap, then this guy who's earning more in three days and the average fan does in a year is not somebody who the fans are ever going to identify with. I've seen Benteke getting stick from Palace fans already, despite the fact he has scored a few goals. They feel they should be getting more for their club's money, and why not?

I love it that we're by no means the top wage payers in the Championship. Whilst we're hardly paupers, it nonetheless feels like we're sticking one up some of the teams with massive parachute payments, or huge ex-Premier League wage bills. It feels like we are where we are thanks to brilliant management and coaching, and a set of skilled players who have an unrivalled spirit and togetherness. Doesn't that feel great to you?

Success is success, however it's achieved. But somehow it gives me a greater satisfaction at the moment to see this Albion team doing so well without having spent £50 million on a few players.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I also share Stat Brother's misgivings about promotion. Part of me very much wants it as an achievement for the club and payback for Tony. Another big part of me does not care for the whole fake media circus and over inflated ego ridden players and managers. The step up in quality of football that follows any promotion should be what it's about.
Stability of ownership will be crucial for me. If Tony sells to one of the global super rich then we could lose our identity as a club very quickly and it is that and that alone that would make me think twice about the long
journey down from Suffolk.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
My main hope about the financial madness of the PL is that we keep the Bloom/Barber/Hughton Holy Trinity in place for as long as possible.

Relatively down to earth blokes who know all about traditional values in football and will do what they can to keep it as sane as possible with the best interests of the club and fans at heart.

I've been contemplating this. Given our incredible team spirit, we will surely go down the Burnley route, IF WE MAKE IT. Add incrementally to the squad with quality players, but those that CH believes can fit with our team ethic and add to rather than detract from the attributes we have currently. The core of Stockdale, Duffy, Dunk, Stephens, Kayal, Knocker, Murray would get first crack at the PL, with Bruno, Baldock and possibly others remaining part of the squad.

I would rather we did this and got relegated, than go down the Palace route. But I genuinely believe it's a better strategy to becoming an established PL club.

PG

Totally agree. Between the three of them they are creating a sustainable model for PL survival, plus. Keeping all three may be hard if we don't go up, but if we do then I think all three will want to see it through. Can't see all three going ATM but CH may get some pretty good offers if we go up and stay. I would like to think that the model they are developing will be imbedded in the club long term, we don't want to revert to the Palarse route, ever. :shootself

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
But when relegation candidates are spending such vast sums of money on wages, I can't help feeling they're setting themselves up for a fall. Your team continues to play crap, then this guy who's earning more in three days and the average fan does in a year is not somebody who the fans are ever going to identify with. I've seen Benteke getting stick from Palace fans already, despite the fact he has scored a few goals. They feel they should be getting more for their club's money, and why not?

But this is the job of the scouting team and management to get players that fit the club ethos. We all knew what Benteke was like, in the same way we did with Adebayor. They are highly paid players, but moody and not the sort of blokes you want in a relegation scrap.

Look at the likes of Spurs, they seem to have a good team ethos there, the players seem genuinely happy to be there and the manager is doing a great job, I would say the same of Liverpool and even Burnley to a degree, whereas some of the clubs seem rotten throughout and full of players in it for a payday.

Just because some of our players are likely to get a big pay bump if we go up, doesn't mean they are going to turn into dicks overnight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can sympathise with Stat Brother's point.

I'm loving this season and would be over the moon to see Brighton back in the top flight. But I'm thinking about the top flight in an early 1980s sense I think ... a Big Match, Panini sticker album, read the match report in the Sunday tabloids kind of way. No Super Sundays or image rights negotiations or agents' paydays.

I despise what the Premier League has done, in lots of ways, and will find it a lot harder to cheer on a team of pampered millionaires than the kind of players we've been used to watching for decades. But I do understand that we have to go for it - and live with the consequences, good and bad, if and when we get there. After all, we've had our turn at being homeless and bottom of the league.
That's very good, thanks, you and the big boss man have helped me out.
I'm now going to contradict myself!

As much as I loathe the 'circus' I do enjoy people who are smart and funny.
I listen to Football Weekly, and feel incensed when the Albion aren't praised.
Sure The Football Ramble isn't high in the 'smart' stakes, but you've got to admire their commitment.

I can't imagine I'd ever get bored of listening to or reading lengthy pieces solely based on the Albion.

The coup de grâce would be for the Albion to get a mention on one of my American podcasts.
That would just about finish me off, and would never happen without the Premier League and it's wealth.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

PG

TBF Palace did stick with the spine of the team that got promoted for a couple of seasons, Sporoni, Bolasie, Murrey, Jedinak , williams, OKeefe, Delaney to name a few but 4 years later some have moved on meaning there is no option but to buy new more expensive players that is what happens I am afraid.

As a Palace fan I have no pleasure watching multi millionaires running around on a Sunday at 12.30 in the afternoon or Monday night at 8 , but it is what it is. But fans like me will only be too happy to watch championship football (more games more chance of winning) but I am sure the owners shudder at the thought.

The only answer is to abandon pro football and concentrate on my local Rymans league club. (which I have started doing, even bought the scarf the weekend)

SAC

May 21, 2014
TBF Palace did stick with the spine of the team that got promoted for a couple of seasons, Sporoni, Bolasie, Murrey, Jedinak , williams, OKeefe, Delaney to name a few but 4 years later some have moved on meaning there is no option but to buy new more expensive players that is what happens I am afraid.

As a Palace fan I have no pleasure watching multi millionaires running around on a Sunday at 12.30 in the afternoon or Monday night at 8 , but it is what it is. But fans like me will only be too happy to watch championship football (more games more chance of winning) but I am sure the owners shudder at the thought.

The only answer is to abandon pro football and concentrate on my local Rymans league club. (which I have started doing, even bought the scarf the weekend)

I think I'm right in saying that Palace's problem is that they didn't blow the budget in year one. If they had done (and still stayed up), they would have been allowed a greater budget in subsequent years.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
We have fantastic Academy facilities. Part of the model has to be to have home grown players who didn't cost huge transfer fees and who probably have more reasonable pay checks, at least to begin with. Then, if right for all concerned, they move on for large transfer fees.

Being in the top flight will make our academy more attractive to top class youngsters, especially if we are doing reasonably well and also if the ' togetherness' and attitude of our club shines through.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that's the going rate, it's inevitable if we're promoted.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We have fantastic Academy facilities. Part of the model has to be to have home grown players who didn't cost huge transfer fees and who probably have more reasonable pay checks, at least to begin with. Then, if right for all concerned, they move on for large transfer fees.

Being in the top flight will make our academy more attractive to top class youngsters, especially if we are doing reasonably well and also if the ' togetherness' and attitude of our club shines through.

This is Mr B's long term plan and why we are buying long shots teenagers from Iceland, division one, two even non league teams with prospects that could off set future costs, imagine if we find one or two young players who later turn out for the first team and move on to play for Real Madrid and England. Job done academy paid for, it is a long shot but you have to take that or depend on mercenary players which only ever ends one way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here