Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans in disbelief at Benteke being sold?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I really don't know how it works. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] will be the man, clearly, but it has been mentioned elsewhere, eg: http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...help-struggling-eagles_sto6002648/story.shtml says the below:

Allardyce also revealed he expects Palace to have to move players on in order to bring in a raft of new arrivals in January.

"There's an overlying factor of a wage cap that everyone seems to forget about in January," said Allardyce.

"If we hit the limit in January then there will be no more players in."

Palace's wage bill in 2014/15 was £67 million, so they are limited to increasing the wage bill by £7 million a year (and Big Sam will no doubt take a large slice of that) plus (a) increase in commercial revenue...can't see a lot here, (b) Increased gate receipts, difficult for a small club such as Palace, and (c) Gains on player sales. I suspect that they have made a fortune selling Bollassie.

The sanctions given by the EPL are fairly minor though, I'm currently looking at the 2016/17 Handbook, which is hundreds of pages long, and will report back if I find anything of note.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Palace's wage bill in 2014/15 was £67 million, so they are limited to increasing the wage bill by £7 million a year (and Big Sam will no doubt take a large slice of that) plus (a) increase in commercial revenue...can't see a lot here, (b) Increased gate receipts, difficult for a small club such as Palace, and (c) Gains on player sales. I suspect that they have made a fortune selling Bollassie.

The sanctions given by the EPL are fairly minor though, I'm currently looking at the 2016/17 Handbook, which is hundreds of pages long, and will report back if I find anything of note.
Would Pardews (alleged) £3m payoff be part of the wages pot too?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Surely that money was spent on buying Benteke and the reported wage
difference for these two was Benteke taking around £70k per week more .

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
hes not for sale, hes perfect for Allardyce, unless they are financially knackered of course.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely that money was spent on buying Benteke and the reported wage
difference for these two was Benteke taking around £70k per week more .

Bolassie was sold for £25million, which is pure profit.

Whilst Benteke cost Palace £27m, which could rise to £32m, this is spread over the four years of his contract, so it about £7-8m a year. His wages are £3.5m, I suspect Bolasie was on about a third of that sum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reading this thread is so depressing.

It's obvious why Tony needs promotion but remind me again, why are 'we' so keen?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Reading this thread is so depressing.

It's obvious why Tony needs promotion but remind me again, why are 'we' so keen?

Because even with those astronomical costs Prem teams are turning a profit. Losing £10-20m a season in the Championship every year just isn't sustainable in the long run.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because even with those astronomical costs Prem teams are turning a profit. Losing £10-20m a season in the Championship every year just isn't sustainable in the long run.
Money has very little to do with 'us', that's the decision Mr Bloom has made and (somehow) is living with.
On that note we ought to have a rota in place for spread rose petals across the ground Mrs Bloom walks on.
I'm not buying a PS4 but our Tony is throwing £2m a month on his football team, that's a shitload of shoes :lol: :facepalm:

Anyhoo, I mean the numbers involved.

At some point we're going to have to commit to 1 player earning £70,000+ a WEEK, and hope he's not a mercenary.
Sure we all trust the club, love the manager, but fook me in which sewer will it all end?

palace fans have embraced everything that is dreadful about soccerball, and are now getting burnt.
Is it worth us fans putting our head in the same crocodiles mouth?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
palace fans have embraced everything that is dreadful about soccerball, and are now getting burnt.

I just don't see what the alternative is. TB is determined to get us up as he knows that is the only way for the club to become sustainable. I personally wouldn't mind going up and being relatively modest with costs like Burnley in the knowledge that if you go down you are going to be in a very healthy position with parachute payments and relatively modest outgoings.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Money has very little to do with 'us', that's the decision Mr Bloom has made and (somehow) is living with.
On that note we ought to have a rota in place for spread rose petals across the ground Mrs Bloom walks on.
I'm not buying a PS4 but our Tony is throwing £2m a month on his football team, that's a shitload of shoes :lol: :facepalm:

Anyhoo, I mean the numbers involved.

At some point we're going to have to commit to 1 player earning £70,000+ a WEEK, and hope he's not a mercenary.
Sure we all trust the club, love the manager, but fook me in which sewer will it all end?

Its certainly a worry, Bloody love TB, he makes me just about comfortable with the thought though.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I can sympathise with Stat Brother's point.

I'm loving this season and would be over the moon to see Brighton back in the top flight. But I'm thinking about the top flight in an early 1980s sense I think ... a Big Match, Panini sticker album, read the match report in the Sunday tabloids kind of way. No Super Sundays or image rights negotiations or agents' paydays.

I despise what the Premier League has done, in lots of ways, and will find it a lot harder to cheer on a team of pampered millionaires than the kind of players we've been used to watching for decades. But I do understand that we have to go for it - and live with the consequences, good and bad, if and when we get there. After all, we've had our turn at being homeless and bottom of the league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just don't see what the alternative is. TB is determined to get us up as he knows that is the only way for the club to become sustainable. I personally wouldn't mind going up and being relatively modest with costs like Burnley in the knowledge that if you go down you are going to be in a very healthy position with parachute payments and relatively modest outgoings.

Its certainly a worry, Bloody love TB, he makes me just about comfortable with the thought though.

I loves him more!

AD is right there aren't many alternatives, try and stay on the right side of relegation being the best of all evils.

I'm just trying to imagine being excited by £30 million £70k a week signing - almost impossible.
Only to have that thrown back into my face by a mixture of piss poor management, team management, and a complete lack of commitment by the player.
A player who knows full well, he can just go off and get an even better deal elsewhere.

As said at the start, all very depressing.

My advise - Trouser every fookin dirty penny Tony, and ride off into the sunset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here