Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    I would love to believe that Labour has something to offer the public in general rather than the Corbynites but every time you think they might be seeing the big picture, Corbin himself pulls the rug out from under himself. Yesterday, for example, he talked about a wages cap, which would be easily got round,instead of the much simpler reversal of the Tory tax cuts for the wealthy.

John Rentoul of The Independent suggested a policy angle which would surely be a winner for Labour - that the referendum result was a vote for more spending on the NHS. Boris's bus said so. That keeps him away from immigration, where he's dangerously at odds with Labour voters north of London, but gives him an unanswerable stick with which to beat the Torres. But that's far too sensible for the present Labour leadership.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I don't think he meant that.
      I don't either, I am just highlighting the stupidity of tarring everyone with the same brush.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

1 Not allowed!
      It's Hunt. And we're all screwed once we fall ill.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
      Of course, the failings of the NHS have nothing to do with our ridiculous expectations of wanting to be cured of everything and live until we are 200 years old.

Nothing to do with alcoholics, drug users, time wasters and hypochondriacs abusing our A. & E. departments in hospitals.

Oh....and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that much of the bed-blocking could be alleviated if we just took some responsibility for caring after our elderly relatives.

I understand that many of us want so much...and some things could be better organised. What I can't tolerate is scumbags like HerrTubthumper who climb all over this like a rash, just because they have a political agenda.
      The reasons you mention have much to do with the alleged failings, which anyone can see, though, of course, we only ever get to hear of the problems not the successes. I have only been in A&E once, and when I saw how busy they were, said to the nurse how sorry I was to add to their burden: she said_"I don't mind you being here, as you are actually ill. ." Expectations have risen and will continue to do so which will only put the system under more strain. Yes, we can pour ever more money into it, but next year will see the same old cries for more resources. Given that folk will always make their way to A&E with trivial ailments, and that expectations will rise, as will the population, it might be time to look at another system, rather than lurch continually from one crisis to another.

1 Not allowed!
      Hunt without a doubt but the most destructive and harmful agent against the NHS has always been the monstrous PFI deals made in the early to mid years of the Blair government. There should be retrospective action taken against all the PFI deals in my opinion. They were clear sleight of hand and the likes of Alan Johnson should be made to pay for his crimes.
      My music blog: de-minimis music

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albumen View Post
      It's Hunt. And we're all screwed once we fall ill.
      Does this really strike you as a sensible and well-thought post?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      Hunt without a doubt but the most destructive and harmful agent against the NHS has always been the monstrous PFI deals made in the early to mid years of the Blair government. There should be retrospective action taken against all the PFI deals in my opinion. They were clear sleight of hand and the likes of Alan Johnson should be made to pay for his crimes.
      Not disagreeing with you about PFI as a concept but didn't George Osborne continue making new PFI deals, despite commenting on the poor value they offered the tax payer?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      Don't disagree but the financing of PF deals is 2% of the NHS budget.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hastings gull View Post
      Does this really strike you as a sensible and well-thought post?
      Depends if you believe he's screwed the NHS to the point of endangering lives. Which he has. So yes.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by deletebeepbeepbeep View Post
      Don't disagree but the financing of PF deals is 2% of the NHS budget.
      This article from the Independent puts the average cost of all PFIs at nearer £10Bn a year and rising. (Presumably that includes the £3bn NHS costs but this appears to be rising too).

Basically, a PFI is like a mortgage that the government takes out on behalf of the public. The average annual cost of meeting the terms of the UK’s PFI contracts will be more than £10bn over the next decade. And the cost of servicing PFIs is growing. Last year, it rose by £5bn. It could rise further, with inflation. The upward creep is the price taxpayers’ pay for a financing system which allows private firms to profit from investing in infrastructure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/l...-10170214.html
      My music blog: de-minimis music