Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff game rearranged for Tues 24th Jan, 7.45pm.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In the great scheme of things I don't think a few less pies and pints of Harvey's will break the bank compared to the team getting to the Prem

Let alone fixture pile up, I don't see any alternatives to this date

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Response from Paul Barber, who is in Coventry, on the date selection:

We are obviously aware this is a strike day. There are many such days right now! However, we cannot allow them to disrupt our season from a footballing point of view by creating a pile up of games later on.

As a general rule, postponed league matches must be played within one month of the original fixture date. Our choice was therefore Tuesday 24 or Wednesday 25. Both are strike days.

We have every sympathy with supporters getting to matches on strike days, and unlike most clubs we lay on additional transport services to help, but we must still play our matches within a reasonable timeframe.

I would add that, aside from the EFL's guidance and expectation on when postponed games should be played, the decision is taken between myself, Chris and our opposition, in conjunction with the EFL.

In reality, there are very few options in the second half of the season due to the number of games we must play, the FA Cup, scheduled replay dates, and our own preferences from a footballing perspective.

In this regard, the Tuesday was preferable to Chris than the Wednesday so, on this basis and given that strikes are due for both days on which we had an option, we went with the manager's choice - which Cardiff agreed to.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
The club said after the postponement that refunds would be available for match tickets where people couldnt make the rescheduled date.
Season tickets though are for 23 matches whenever they take place

As a goodwill gesture the club should extend the refund option to season ticket holders who cannot attend the re-arranged fixture, bearing in mind many of them would have travelled long distances for the original fixture before being told it had been called off due to fog. This is different to a fixture change due to TV coverage which is publicised well on advance. I am writing to the club to express my dissatisfaction and to request a refund.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Makes perfect sense to me. I had a feeling there was a timescale within which the league preferred games to be played

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Response from Paul Barber, who is in Coventry, on the date selection:

We are obviously aware this is a strike day. There are many such days right now! However, we cannot allow them to disrupt our season from a footballing point of view by creating a pile up of games later on.

As a general rule, postponed league matches must be played within one month of the original fixture date. Our choice was therefore Tuesday 24 or Wednesday 25. Both are strike days.

We have every sympathy with supporters getting to matches on strike days, and unlike most clubs we lay on additional transport services to help, but we must still play our matches within a reasonable timeframe.

I would add that, aside from the EFL's guidance and expectation on when postponed games should be played, the decision is taken between myself, Chris and our opposition, in conjunction with the EFL.

In reality, there are very few options in the second half of the season due to the number of games we must play, the FA Cup, scheduled replay dates, and our own preferences from a footballing perspective.

In this regard, the Tuesday was preferable to Chris than the Wednesday so, on this basis and given that strikes are due for both days on which we had an option, we went with the manager's choice - which Cardiff agreed to.
Or to put it in non Mr Barber terms:-

The gaffer wanted Tuesday, so we're playing Tuesday.

Tough to argue with.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
As a goodwill gesture the club should extend the refund option to season ticket holders who cannot attend the re-arranged fixture, bearing in mind many of them would have travelled long distances for the original fixture before being told it had been called off due to fog. This is different to a fixture change due to TV coverage which is publicised well on advance. I am writing to the club to express my dissatisfaction and to request a refund.

As far as i know they never have done historically with postponements due to weather conditions so all the best with that.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

What are you unsatisfied with, the fact there was fog and it had to be called off? No shit, we were all pissed off.

Why would you be asking for a refund on your ticket, surely you should be after a gesture to cover your original travel expense?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Fingers crossed Tony doesn't ask for a refund of his investment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Or perhaps they should pay for taxis so every STH can attend...........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the great scheme of things I don't think a few less pies and pints of Harvey's will break the bank compared to the team getting to the Prem

I agree 100%. The issue I have was being picked up by the resident pedant on something he doesn't fully understand. Any decent board will have financial reporting at which they will report on income (turnover), profit and loss and cash flow. Each will have been projected. Yes, Tony will top it up, yes he's gambling on promotion but he'll still want to know the size of the cheque he's writing and why. That's my only point.

Personally I'd sacrifice three points if it meant that the fans - the paying "customers" - were the first people considered when scheduling games. I don't expect that to be universally popular nor am I blaming Barber. Modern football shits on the loyalist fans over and over. Southern and the unions just make it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

As good will gestures go TB puts in 2 million a month, I think maybe we can take the lose of one game on the chin?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll order an Uber now......from Tenerife.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Good idea but I will complain if the club include the ferry costs

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As good will gestures go TB puts in 2 million a month, I think maybe we can take the lose of one game on the chin?
All the while giving us season ticket holders 12 months interest free direct debit, subsidized transport and extra transport on strike days.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I guess you know best.

Well yes, it appears I do.

Your ST covers 23 games whenever they are scheduled or rescheduled. That is the commitment you make. It is totally outside the realms of reality to suggest that those inconvenienced should be refunded a ticket price because a fixture has been rearranged due to weather.

I offered advice that you may have better luck demanding a travel subsidy which is more in line with the nature of your complaint.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No one thinks of the fans in modern football.
Most of our fans want promotion more than we're worried about getting to that one game.

In fact the people who schedule games seem to want to screw them over. There's just as much of a risk of us dropping points playing in front of a half empty stadium where everyone leaves on 70 minutes.
If our club made the decision to play on that day, then they clearly disagree with you.

Stumpy Tim

Modern football shits on the loyalist fans over and over.

Does it though? Back in 80's we had fences, you couldn't go to a game without the threat of getting attacked, we were treated like cattle, those poor souls in Bradford were locked in the ground as their stand burnt down. Now we complain because the prices are a little higher and sometimes games are moved. I know which era I prefer.

First world problems

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here