Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff game rearranged for Tues 24th Jan, 7.45pm.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Meant to be starting work at 22:00 in the centre of Brighton that night, if the trains were running to some degree I would be able to go. Probably going to take the night off now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What can you not understand?
Gibberish!

I am working in North West London that week. I cannot get there on time from home due to the train strike. Therefore I'm staying up.
Right, so you can't go to the game because of the strike. That's a shame, but shit happens.

And I'm talking about the clubs cash flow. They're losing hundreds of thousands thanks to the train strike. The combined Cardiff games will be the worst of the season for bottom line
You may have misunderstood what cash flow means. If you're talking about profit/loss, then it will have a bit of an affect, but it's a price worth paying. Cash flow is how much money is in the bank account, and I'm sure that will be covered.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gibberish!

Right, so you can't go to the game because of the strike. That's a shame, but shit happens.

You may have misunderstood what cash flow means. If you're talking about profit/loss, then it will have a bit of an affect, but it's a price worth paying. Cash flow is how much money is in the bank account, and I'm sure that will be covered.

Point being many, many people won't be able to go to the game due to the train strike. It's a stupid date to pick. Others will leave early and there will be a catalogue of complaints for the transport manager to deal with. Having a match at a ground that is primarily served by trains during a rail strike is stupid.

I'm well aware what cash flow is. I've helped run companies and forecast it. Without Tony we wouldn't have a bank balance. That daily cheque for 93k he's writing may rise to 95k or more for all you know as a direct result of the decisions to move Cardiff to a Friday night and then rearrange it for a strike day. But the bottom line is without Tony constantly topping up the bank balance we'd be liquidated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I have no idea (about much at all really) but I would wager that BHA have had little or no input into this rearranged date. The League will have said 'Come up with a football reason why you can't play on this date'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Point being many, many people won't be able to go to the game due to the train strike. It's a stupid date to pick.
It's the best date to pick. Yes, some people won't be able to go. But how you can think that's more important than having rested players is beyond me.

Others will leave early and there will be a catalogue of complaints for the transport manager to deal with.
Oh goodness me, you should have said.

Having a match at a ground that is primarily served by trains during a rail strike is stupid.
Delaying the game further when we there will be fixture congestion and players will be tired and there will be a greater risk of dropping points is stupid.

I'm well aware what cash flow is.
Then don't get it wrong. If you know what it is, don't say that we shouldn't play then because we're going to have a cash flow problem - we're not.

That daily cheque for 93k he's writing may rise to 95k or more for all you know as a direct result of the decisions to move Cardiff to a Friday night and then rearrange it for a strike day.
So? That's Tony's decision. He's presumably decided that the loss is worth it, as it gives us the best chance of points.
But the bottom line is without Tony constantly topping up the bank balance we'd be liquidated.
Er, we know. WTF has that got to do with anything?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have no idea (about much at all really) but I would wager that BHA have had little or no input into this rearranged date. The League will have said 'Come up with a football reason why you can't play on this date'.
I'm not so sure. If we didn't want to play it, surely we'd have just said that safety would be a problem due to the train strike or some BS?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm not so sure. If we didn't want to play it, surely we'd have just said that safety would be a problem due to the train strike or some BS?

The response might have been that this strike is ongoing, with new dates mentioned all the time. A suitable space for the game is rare but has been suggested at the earliest possible date. Hard to reject.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Then don't get it wrong. If you know what it is, don't say that we shouldn't play then because we're going to have a cash flow problem - we're not.

?

I can see you need a bit more simplicity so here's a maths test.

Little Johnny has £100 in the bank at the start of January. During January he makes a further £50 but spends £90. How much does Johnny have in the bank at the end of the month?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Little Johnny has £100 in the bank at the start of January. During January he makes a further £50 but spends £90. How much does Johnny have in the bank at the end of the month?

£100 as his Dad always bumps him back up at the end of the month. Every month. Regardless. It's what he does.

I've dropped Paul Barber a quick line on this (not the maths problem) but I expect he'll say that:

a) We had a choice of dates to find a mutual agreement with Cardiff and this one wasn't imposed upon us by the EFL.
b) This one is seen as best by Hughton and his team and that is they key priority here.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Point being many, many people won't be able to go to the game due to the train strike. It's a stupid date to pick. Others will leave early and there will be a catalogue of complaints for the transport manager to deal with. Having a match at a ground that is primarily served by trains during a rail strike is stupid.

I'm well aware what cash flow is. I've helped run companies and forecast it. Without Tony we wouldn't have a bank balance. That daily cheque for 93k he's writing may rise to 95k or more for all you know as a direct result of the decisions to move Cardiff to a Friday night and then rearrange it for a strike day. But the bottom line is without Tony constantly topping up the bank balance we'd be liquidated.

What's more important to you, being inconvenienced/not being able to get to a game or the players having to play 3 games in a week and risk points dropped?

It's not an easy choice to make, but one that had to be made. It's fairly obvious CH wanted this date for footballing reasons.

The club will now have a load more expense for buses/coaches so i'm not sure what you are actually suggesting? That this was an inept decison from the club despite providing no legitimate alternative?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Little Johnny has £100 in the bank...
You ****ed up and I'd think you'd know me better than to think I'll let you pretend you didn't. This is what you said:

This will be the lowest actual attendance at the Amex for ages & I suspect the atmosphere and cash flow will suffer.
Tony will stick some money in the bank, so the cash flow will be fine. WTF are you talking about?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What's more important to you, being inconvenienced/not being able to get to a game or the players having to play 3 games in a week and risk points dropped?

It's not an easy choice to make, but one that had to be made. It's fairly obvious CH wanted this date for footballing reasons.

The club will now have a load more expense for buses/coaches so i'm not sure what you are actually suggesting? That this was an inept decison from the club despite providing no legitimate alternative?

No one thinks of the fans in modern football. In fact the people who schedule games seem to want to screw them over. There's just as much of a risk of us dropping points playing in front of a half empty stadium where everyone leaves on 70 minutes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was hacked off by the Reading game originally being moved to Friday Rail Misery because of Sky. It was moved back to Saturday, well done albion.

This is different. The match was postponed due to 'act of God' and the priority has to be to avoid a fixture pile up at all costs. We have to take the rail pain as the best playing date for CH and the team is priority.

The next available week was that of Tuesday 21st Feb, and we're already looking at finding a date for Newcastle, plus Barnsley is high risk.

I think the club got this one right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You ****ed up and I'd think you'd know me better than to think I'll let you pretend you didn't. This is what you said:

Tony will stick some money in the bank, so the cash flow will be fine. WTF are you talking about?

I said the cash flow will suffer. If we lose more in January than was projected in the cash flow projections submitted to the board the it will have suffered. This game will make a loss. Simple

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Seems like there's still a few people desperate to take a dig at Barber and co.

This date is the best compromise, albeit a pain in the ass for many, but there will be park and ride options and without doubt the club will be putting a lot of effort into getting as many people to the ground as possible via alternative measures. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something could be negotiated to delay/postpone the strike anyway - maybe wishful thinking.

It allows us an extra days rest over Cardiff, and a long break assuming we play a 2nd string again at Lincoln/Ipswich. The only other option really was the 31st (Cardiff already have a fixture), or the 17th/18th January which would mean 3 games in 6 days.

Good decision from the club.

Totally agree. You would've thought Barber was an ASLEF striker himself. It's classic victim blaming. It's still a couple of weeks away I think most of us can work out how to get to Falmer - of course not everyone, but hey the world not fair, who knew?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I said the cash flow will suffer. If we lose more in January than was projected in the cash flow projections submitted to the board the it will have suffered. This game will make a loss. Simple

In the great scheme of things I don't think a few less pies and pints of Harvey's will break the bank compared to the team getting to the Prem

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
I like the idea that a win against Cardiff could put us FIVE POINTS ahead of the Toon, then a little victory over them could mean we go EIGHT POINTS ahead, nice������

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here