Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff game rearranged for Tues 24th Jan, 7.45pm.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I said the cash flow will suffer. If we lose more in January than was projected in the cash flow projections submitted to the board the it will have suffered. This game will make a loss. Simple
Given that the club are losing tens of millions a year, every game makes a loss. The cash flow will be fine, because Tony will put money in the bank. If the club think this is the best time to play, then I'm sure it's the best time to play.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Most of our fans want promotion more than we're worried about getting to that one game.

If it was one game I wouldn't have an issue but it's not. Lots of Friday games (including Villa where the train issues could have led to serious safety problems), Huddersfield away on a Thursday night (can you get back home by train, no you can't). I bought a season ticket for my son at the start of the season but obviously Saturday 3pm games are better for him than evening games. Anyone coming to the Amex from far away or who commutes to London will have missed games. It's even a struggle from Hastings or Eastbourne. Then there's people who lose money on advance train tickets for aways when they're moved.

It's not the clubs fault. I get that it's Sky / the trains/ the weather/ the league. But when they get a chance to make it easier they don't. Let's revisit this thread if we don't beat Cardiff eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree 100%. The issue I have was being picked up by the resident pedant on something he doesn't fully understand.
Oh you're trying to patronise me, that's so sweet. You said choosing this date was a "f-ing stupid idea", and your defence of that dumb post was "This will be the lowest actual attendance at the Amex for ages & I suspect the atmosphere and cash flow will suffer".

It looks like you can't go, so I'm sure the atmosphere will be fine. Cash flow will be fine because Tony will put money in the bank, so you've been unable to explain how there will be a problem. Trying to partonise me won't make you less wrong.

Personally I'd sacrifice three points if it meant that the fans - the paying "customers" - were the first people considered when scheduling games.
Wow. Amidst all the nonsense you've posted, that trumps it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not the clubs fault. I get that it's Sky / the trains/ the weather/ the league. But when they get a chance to make it easier they don't. Let's revisit this thread if we don't beat Cardiff eh?

I'm sure you don't mean it, but that reads like "I can't wait to say 'told you so' if we don't beat Cardiff."

It would take a greater mind than my own to be able to determine with absolute certainty that the result on the 24th has got anything to do with any particular external factor and would have been better or worse on some other undetermined date where that external factor may or may not have been present. With that in mind, I'll say that if it's good enough for Chris Hughton, it's good enough for me, although I have no idea how I'll get there myself.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree 100%. The issue I have was being picked up by the resident pedant on something he doesn't fully understand. Any decent board will have financial reporting at which they will report on income (turnover), profit and loss and cash flow. Each will have been projected. Yes, Tony will top it up, yes he's gambling on promotion but he'll still want to know the size of the cheque he's writing and why. That's my only point.

Personally I'd sacrifice three points if it meant that the fans - the paying "customers" - were the first people considered when scheduling games. I don't expect that to be universally popular nor am I blaming Barber. Modern football shits on the loyalist fans over and over. Southern and the unions just make it worse.

Strewth.

The opposite for me - I'd sacrifice going to the game if it meant the albion were guaranteed 3 points.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I'm sure you don't mean it, but that reads like "I can't wait to say 'told you so' if we don't beat Cardiff."

It would take a greater mind than my own to be able to determine with absolute certainty that the result on the 24th has got anything to do with any particular external factor and would have been better or worse on some other undetermined date where that external factor may or may not have been present. With that in mind, I'll say that if it's good enough for Chris Hughton, it's good enough for me, although I have no idea how I'll get there myself.

What I mean is that you can't guarantee three points but you can enhance people's chances of attending games. I'm sure the club have taken both in to account when scheduling this but I don't personally agree with them. I predict the stadium will be half full. I predict there'll be a 70 minute fire drill. I predict we'll lose even more money. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on all 3 counts but semantics on a message board won't do that, events on the night will.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it was one game I wouldn't have an issue but it's not. Lots of Friday games (including Villa where the train issues could have led to serious safety problems), Huddersfield away on a Thursday night (can you get back home by train, no you can't). I bought a season ticket for my son at the start of the season but obviously Saturday 3pm games are better for him than evening games. Anyone coming to the Amex from far away or who commutes to London will have missed games. It's even a struggle from Hastings or Eastbourne. Then there's people who lose money on advance train tickets for aways when they're moved.
We've not been discussing all that. Our game was cancelled due to fog. It's been re-arranged within the required time frame on a date that suits our manager/the team, not you. I applaud the decision, you don't. You think it's going to harm our cash flow.

Let's revisit this thread if we don't beat Cardiff eh?
That won't be relevant. If a game doesn't go your way, it doesn't mean you had the wrong manager/team etc etc. Some games just don't go your way. Likewise, if we win against Cardiff it won't mean it was the right decision. We don't yet know how congested the fixtures will be, because we don't know how many more cup games there will be etc, so this decision is just the best one with the information available, and it will have been the best one regardless of the Cardiff result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Strewth.

The opposite for me - I'd sacrifice going to the game if it meant the albion were guaranteed 3 points.

But that's not what I said. I wouldn't give up three points so I could go. I'd sacrifice one win if it meant that football matches were scheduled with the fan in mind across the board. That Sky had to consult. That games couldn't be moved after cheap train tickets had run out. That as many people who were having DDs taken could actually turn up. That away games connected with trains to and from the venue. That Southern and the unions sorted their shit out. That's worth a game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But that's not what I said. I wouldn't give up three points so I could go. I'd sacrifice one win if it meant that football matches were scheduled with the fan in mind across the board. That Sky had to consult. That games couldn't be moved after cheap train tickets had run out. That as many people who were having DDs taken could actually turn up. That away games connected with trains to and from the venue. That Southern and the unions sorted their shit out. That's worth a game.

This rearrangement has absolutely nothing to do with Sky though. It was what is known as an 'act of God'.

The next available week for the game is the last week of February. Still midweek. No one knows if there will be a rail strike in that week either as it happens.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a goodwill gesture the club should extend the refund option to season ticket holders who cannot attend the re-arranged fixture, bearing in mind many of them would have travelled long distances for the original fixture before being told it had been called off due to fog. This is different to a fixture change due to TV coverage which is publicised well on advance. I am writing to the club to express my dissatisfaction and to request a refund.

Wow. Unbelievable. THERE WAS FOG

The ref had no choice but to call the game off - this was COMPLETELY beyond the control of BHAFC. And yet you think you should be refunded ? Wow. The sense of entitlement is, frankly, breathtaking. Tell you what, when you send your letter to the club expressing your dissatisfaction at a game being cancelled because of fog, how about you enclose an invoice addressed to Tony Bloom for the price of your ticket. And let us know the response.

Alternatively how about you just give your head a wobble, suck it up, and be grateful for the fact that someone is prepared to pay MILLIONS to subsidise this club and this team for you, me and every other fan of BHAFC on this (so far) momentous season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
FFS.

Cardiff play Reading on the Saturday in the league.

It ****ing amazes me that people are offering alternatives.

Back in your box son. I naturally assumed that Cardiff were still in the cup and there could have been some leeway around fixtures.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
This rearrangement has absolutely nothing to do with Sky though. It was what is known as an 'act of God'.

The next available week for the game is the last week of February. Still midweek. No one knows if there will be a rail strike in that week either as it happens.

It wasn't an act of Sky, it was an act of the club. If we'd have left it at Sat 3pm it would have been played. Sky have played havoc with our fixture list but that's to be expected. I didn't expect the club to join in.

You're right on later dates, though it would have given more chance for a negotiated settlement

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Not to mention that based on Paul Barbers response that last week in february would be well outside the leagues guidelines for this postponement

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Response from Paul Barber, who is in Coventry, on the date selection:

We are obviously aware this is a strike day. There are many such days right now! However, we cannot allow them to disrupt our season from a footballing point of view by creating a pile up of games later on.

As a general rule, postponed league matches must be played within one month of the original fixture date. Our choice was therefore Tuesday 24 or Wednesday 25. Both are strike days.

We have every sympathy with supporters getting to matches on strike days, and unlike most clubs we lay on additional transport services to help, but we must still play our matches within a reasonable timeframe.

I would add that, aside from the EFL's guidance and expectation on when postponed games should be played, the decision is taken between myself, Chris and our opposition, in conjunction with the EFL.

In reality, there are very few options in the second half of the season due to the number of games we must play, the FA Cup, scheduled replay dates, and our own preferences from a footballing perspective.

In this regard, the Tuesday was preferable to Chris than the Wednesday so, on this basis and given that strikes are due for both days on which we had an option, we went with the manager's choice - which Cardiff agreed to.

So, Newcastle game to be announced as either 21st or 28th February within days of the FA Cup 4th round games being played?
or
announced as 28th Feb to avoid clash with 4th round replays?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Which is obviously the correct answer from a true fan

So what you're saying is it's fine if we play Huddersfield away on a Thursday (I was going to use a hyperbolic example like Newcastle away at 11pm on a Sunday but actually a real life example will do here) so long as we win and you can see it on Sky. I can see that splitting the jury. Plenty will agree but not the people I go to games with

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
So, Newcastle game to be announced as either 21st or 28th February within days of the FA Cup 4th round games being played?
or

I would guess those would be the dates to be considered. Thats without checking any other implications or newcastles fixtures around the time

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
or

The 28th could clash with 4th round replays so OUT.

Newcastle play Villa on Sky on 20th, so 21st is OUT ( although that might get moved if Newcastle get to the 4th round ).

theboybilly

It's quite feasible that if the 2nd string keep going in the FA Cup we're going to have to fit in Barnsley (a) and Newcastle & Derby (h) in somewhere. And that's without replays or even (getting carried away with myself here) going through to the 6th Round of the Cup or further. For that reason alone I'm happy with playing Cardiff on the 24th

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here