Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salary cap how much?

What would be a fair top wage if one had to be implemented?

Votes: 4 13.3%

Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 2 6.7%

Votes: 6 20.0%

Votes: 2 6.7%

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
NOTHING WRONG WITH EARNING 100K

as long as you actually earn it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£250k. Pointless though, I'd suggest higher paid earners would spend more back into the economy, than companies earning more money.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I'd vote for a sliding scale, pegged to £1 above whatever I happen to be earning. Reviewed daily.

Unless I end up on an hourly rate at some point, at which stage it's reviewed hourly.

Genuinely though, he (JC) said something about it being slightly higher than his ~£140k salary. Is the tax system still the same?

Does everyone else get an earnings boost to account for the drop at the top end? What happens to self-employed people? I guess they put their rates up to compensate for everyone else earning more. Shopkeepers etc can increase their prices accordingly to earn more as well. Sooner or later this will make no difference except we'd get less tax take and the genuine people worth a super premium wage will simply not be available in the U.K.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
40k, if your going to have a cap set it low. no one needs to earn more than 40k right? its all spent on luxuries from there about onwards?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Especially as Corbyn said a cap would be significantly more than the 138 grand he earns.

I'm sure the poll was created with tongue firmly in cheek though.

According to the BBC he said 'somewhat higher':
Speaking later on Sky News, Mr Corbyn said a wage cap would be "somewhat higher" than his salary of approximately £138,000

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
40k, if your going to have a cap set it low. no one needs to earn more than 40k right? its all spent on luxuries from there about onwards?

Exactly! I'd probably move the family north. Very north. £40k would go a lot further than down here. London would empty out quickly, luckily the foreign super rich could snap up all the property for much less than they currently pay. Hopefully they'd let brits live in the empty flats etc they own, rather than leaving them empty as per their current model.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I now believe that Corbyn is in fact a Tory in red clothing. He's an agent briefed by Ted Heath in the 70's to infiltrate Labour and destroy it. For some reason, nobody has turned this one-man political terrorist off and he still thinks the war is being waged.

Corbyn will (if he hasn't already) destroy the Labour party.

The only reason for optimism is that Theresa May appears to be unable to see the open net she has before her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
20k a week I reckon. I'm not ready for Prosecco just yet.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Cap should be a multiple of the salary of the lowest paid worker. I'll say 10x for starters, so if lowest paid worker earns £10k p.a., cap for is £100k.
(It would probably need to be pro rata for hours of input but I'll help work out the details when it's in the Queen's Speech???)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No cap on salary.Just a much higher starting point for income tax,and a much higher tax rate above average earnings.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So let's say you have a recording artists who earns £1 for each album sold (or downloaded). The wage cap is £100k but they sell 1,000,000. Who gets the other £900,000? Do we have to introduce a system where the more they sell the cheaper the price so those that bought early are due a refund!

Ludicrous idea but unless you have a wage cap across the world then it isn't going to work because all that will happen is that the skilled worker/entrepreneur will go elsewhere and the country will be left with the dross.

It's not wages that need to be evened up, it is opportunities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here