Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

48 Team World Cup by 2026.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The number of European teams is rising from 13 to 16...

So that ensures that a big proportion (11 as of today, assuming Germany qualify as holders) of FIFA's own top ranked 48 teams won't be there.
If they're going to do this then it's time for world qualifying groups rather than association-based qualification. It would be fairer and would also meet the objective of giving developing nations experience against good teams / help spread the game further.
Current quota system is unfair to European teams and the expansion will do nothing to address that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The World Cup has lost it's shine for me. Two corrupt tournaments coming up and then this monstrosity planned for 2026. FIFA kiling football not saving it. I'm done with International football for the time being.
This. The World Cup has officially jumped the shark.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have ceased caring about the World Cup until the last 8... the standard of some of this football will be below the Championship :nono:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really is time we broke away from FIFA. They are killing the game.

The prospect is of Russia and Qatar has finished International football, there was a time when I'd move heaven and earth to avoid missing an England game

Could the World Cup go the way of the FA Cup, looks like it

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The Panini 2026 World Cup sticker album is realised.......

IMG_0029.JPG

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Don't mind more teams more games should be good the World Cup has continuously changed.

Like I'm gonna be around to see it anyway....

Neither are half of you moaning about the good ol'days anyway.

Crack on its progress

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I hated the expansion of the euros as it basically made the group stage redundant.

And when I read the World Cup was expanding I initially hated the idea....but it's not so bad.

Less group games. More knockout football. Knockout football is by far more entertaining and dramatic.

It is from England,s point of view !!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here