Chandlers Ford

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38568116

and he will be joining the Southern Rail strikers on the picket line.

I assume he never wants to live in Downing Street then.

No it would seem he doesn't. That sort of thing plays brilliantly with young Momentum activists and Trotskyite union leaders but then again those are his support base. They play out terribly to the rest of the country. Once again he's preaching to the choir.

Contrast that with Farage who'd recite verbatim a combination of a Sun editorial and Donald Trump's twitter feed for three extra votes in the country. Corbyn is the more principled man yet he's got as much chance of leading the country as I have partnering Lewis Dunk at centre back against Newcastle.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
................ Corbyn is the more principled man yet he's got as much chance of leading the country as I have partnering Lewis Dunk at centre back against Newcastle.

As a lifelong Labour voter I'd fancy your chances more! Let's hope Duffy doesn't get injured :(

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
never quite sure what advocates think a wage cap will actually achieve. many executives are paid their headline grabing salary and bonus as shares, would this be counted, along with all other loopholes and forms of payments in kind? why do we want to loose the 40% tax? remember over a quarter of tax revenues come from the top 1%, whos going to pick up the slack if they dont earn so much?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was pro Corbyn but I think that's it for me, irrespective of any merits it's just a stupid thing to announce in an interview and will completely dominate any of the positive things he was intending to say in his speech and interviews today.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I assume you are probably right - he'll seemingly always value his principles above his ambitions. Quite a refreshing change from the rest of them, don't you think?

Agreed, in principal. The problem though is that if you are never in power whatever he thinks is completely irrelevant. Being a politician is about getting things done. Blair learnt that you can have principles but if you are always in opposition whats the point. Corbyn will never rule and get anything he wants because he isn't willing to play the game to get into power. Very foolish.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, in principal. The problem though is that if you are never in power whatever he thinks is completely irrelevant. Being a politician is about getting things done. Blair learnt that you can have principles but if you are always in opposition whats the point. Corbyn will never rule and get anything he wants because he isn't willing to play the game to get into power. Very foolish.

He's really NOT a (professional) politician though, is he? That's the point. He's simply not prepared to 'play the game' as you kindly put it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I assume you are probably right - he'll seemingly always value his principles above his ambitions. Quite a refreshing change from the rest of them, don't you think?

I am a real big fan of Corbyn and I totally agree with you that it is refreshing to see that BUT - He has a job to do now and that is to get elected because he cannot invoke those principles if he doesn't get Labour Elected.

The issue of closing doors on trains in my mind is not a fight he should be fighting and that's not to say its not a fight that needs to be fought. It just isn't his fight at this moment in time.

Stumpy Tim

No it's ridiculous. He would rather the Labour Party lose & the Tories win. How is that a refreshing change? As a life-long Labour voter it's ludicrous

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He's really NOT a (professional) politician though, is he? That's the point. He's simply not prepared to 'play the game' as you kindly put it.

Piers Morgan asked him on breakfast TV this morning if he wanted to be PM, he pretty much said he just wants to be in parliament in a Labour government - at no point did he say yes he would like to be PM.

I think Corbyn is an old-fashioned politician, one who believes in what they say, and sometimes shoot from the lip without thinking first.

Makes a change from the Dodgy Daves of this world!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No it's ridiculous. He would rather the Labour Party lose & the Tories win. How is that a refreshing change? As a life-long Labour voter it's ludicrous

I'd rather he wasn't the leader of the Labour Party, too, because of course you're right - he's an open goal for the Tories.

That doesn't translate to me being willing to slaughter him for refusing to prostitute his beliefs for votes though.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'd rather he wasn't the leader of the Labour Party, too, because of course you're right - he's an open goal for the Tories.

That doesn't translate to me being willing to slaughter him for refusing to prostitute his beliefs for votes though.

I'm with you on that one - nice to see a real politician for once, just not sure I would want him in charge ???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Corbyn is the more principled man yet he's got as much chance of leading the country as I have partnering Lewis Dunk at centre back against Newcastle.

The trouble I have with Corbyn's principles is that he's prepared to put aside the ones that I can respect and understand whereas the ones I have big problems with are sacrosanct to him. Viz. his views on racism, homophobia and even his pacifism are all honourable and admirable (even to me and I'm no pacifist) but he is willing to ignore the virulent anti-semitism of his pals in Hamas and with some of his friends on the Left, going by his many paid appearances on Iran's Press TV he doesn't seem to have a problem at all with that country's views on the torture and execution of gays and his anti-war stance doesn't include IRA terrorism.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm with you on that one - nice to see a real politician for once, just not sure I would want him in charge ???

You needn't concern yourself with that possibility.

'Real politician' is hard to define. It very clearly means different things to different folk. Its clear that plenty see it simply as describing a profession.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
He's a lovely old bore who would be harmless if he hadn't surrounded himself with lots of hard-arsed Trotskyites and unionists.

If he's the catalyst for a new, mainstream progressive liberal party, not at the hock of the unions (and not called the Liberal Democrats), then Corbyn may well turn out to have been a good thing - the Tories need a genuine challenge, they're getting away with everything right now by being the least incompetent party.

In a small way, I feel the same about Trump - he could be the catalyst for the Democrats getting their acts together. They could easily win the presidency and both houses in four years. Time will tell (and if we're not all dead before then...)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Christ you're easily pleased. He doesn't impress me at all.

And you make it sound like he's the only principled politician we've ever seen. He isn't. Robin Cook was my idea of a principled man - swallowed a lot of stuff he didn't agree with for the greater good, but correctly realised that killing people in the middle east on the whim of a moron was WRONG, and so he resigned from the cabinet. Proper politician.

Corbyn is in fact, utterly selfish - he's more concerned with his grip on power within his party than the wishes of the country as a whole. And as for this, what a stupid idea. If you want to make a fairer society, implement a fairer tax system.

Stumpy Tim

He doesn't deserve to be slaughtered for his beliefs. He does deserve to be slaughtered for destroying any hope his political party has for election. If he wants to continue to be the type of politician he is, he shouldn't be leader.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The trouble I have with Corbyn's principles is that he's prepared to put aside the ones that I can respect and understand whereas the ones I have big problems with are sacrosanct to him. Viz. his views on racism, homophobia and even his pacifism are all honourable and admirable (even to me and I'm no pacifist) but he is willing to ignore the virulent anti-semitism of his pals in Hamas and with some of his friends on the Left, going by his many paid appearances on Iran's Press TV he doesn't seem to have a problem at all with that country's views on the torture and execution of gays and his anti-war stance doesn't include IRA terrorism.

I don't disagree with that as it goes. I just meant I find him more principled than Farage, who thinks that having a pint and being on the radio makes him the man of the people - privately educated former City worker Farage.

Anyway, re the OP, as someone who's mostly voted Labour I won't be while Jezza in in charge. I'm seriously regretting electing the ever available but utterly ineffective Peter Kyle as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here