Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107
  1. #91
    Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    16,440


    0 Not allowed!
    As a can't be bothered to vote they are all the same brigade...

    I find it interesting that Corbyn is attacked for his principles, whilst others on the other side of political spectrum seemingly applaud those often wear on their sleeve the fact they don't have any.

    I'm out for this for myself and so should you be isn't a principle.

    Having said I've found the Labour fascinating to watch over my lifetime. Slowly modernising (unlike the Tories) under a slow and steady progression of Kinnock and Smith and then letting Blair quite royally **** the whole thing up.

    They are the Portsmouth FC of the politics world and it's gonna years for them to get in any position of election. It's isn't gonna happen with a new leader, it's probably gonna take 2 or 3.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #92
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Posts
      3,291


      0 Not allowed!
      Earnings Caps are wrong and unrealistic and unworkable.

      I love Corbyn and what he stands for and would vote for him all day long and so will many more people than the Press would have us believe. He will galvanise a lot of people to the Polls when the Election does come round

      However we need wealthy people. We need good successful businesses in the UK. Pure Socialism can never work in the modern global trading world. Pure Capitalism cannot be allowed to take hold because that's not fair and the poor and the weak in society like the disabled or the less learned people or elderly get left behind.

      We need to strike a balance and whilst I said we need the Wealthy people in society it is true but the problem comes when the Wealthy also hold the Power because that is when people get left behind.

      For me someone like Corbyn would be ideal because his goals would be to use Public spending to try and stop as many people as possible being over-looked left behind or marginalised. He will not have all the answers. No one can and he has failings but at least he will try and stand up for the common man and common woman.

      Can he win an Election. The Polls tell us he can't but lets the people decide and not the Sun Newspaper or the Telegraph. And so roll on Jezza. Give it your best shot and if you fail then at least you gave it a go to try and bring ''greed and peoples' self gratification under control.
    • #93
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      21,898


      0 Not allowed!
      apparently Coryn dropped the policy, back tracking to a pay ratio, then only applicable to government contracts. that went well then.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #94
      Members
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      1,502


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38568116

      and he will be joining the Southern Rail strikers on the picket line.

      I assume he never wants to live in Downing Street then.
      Want to know what these rail strikes are really about? Well, here's Sean Hoyle, president of the RMT union, "Rule no. 1 in our [RMT] bible is that we must strive to replace the capitalist system with a socialist order".

      Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    • #95
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Posts
      143


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Earnings Caps are wrong and unrealistic and unworkable.

      I love Corbyn and what he stands for and would vote for him all day long and so will many more people than the Press would have us believe. He will galvanise a lot of people to the Polls when the Election does come round

      However we need wealthy people. We need good successful businesses in the UK. Pure Socialism can never work in the modern global trading world. Pure Capitalism cannot be allowed to take hold because that's not fair and the poor and the weak in society like the disabled or the less learned people or elderly get left behind.

      We need to strike a balance and whilst I said we need the Wealthy people in society it is true but the problem comes when the Wealthy also hold the Power because that is when people get left behind.

      For me someone like Corbyn would be ideal because his goals would be to use Public spending to try and stop as many people as possible being over-looked left behind or marginalised. He will not have all the answers. No one can and he has failings but at least he will try and stand up for the common man and common woman.

      Can he win an Election. The Polls tell us he can't but lets the people decide and not the Sun Newspaper or the Telegraph. And so roll on Jezza. Give it your best shot and if you fail then at least you gave it a go to try and bring ''greed and peoples' self gratification under control.
      There in lies the problem.

      I went to a speech in Brighton a number of years ago by John McDonnell and the Labour Representation Committee. I twigged during that speech that I really couldn't support people on that side of the Labour Party when he said 'ethical capitalism is fundamentally impossible', then going onto push more or less pure Socialism as the only alternative. I think my whole family, who are all very left-wing, left thinking 'I'm not THAT left wing'. I've moved right quite a bit since then and would regard myself as a Liberal now.
    • #96
      Punxsatawney Phil Curious Orange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      On NSC for a decade...
      Posts
      8,435


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Tony Bloom comes from a wealthy family already and was destined to be pretty well off whatever he did. I do not begrudge him his money bu,t remember that BHAFC is still a business and if/when we get to The Premiership and it's inherent costs he may feel he has taken the club ( Business) as far as he can and sell out. There is stupid amounts of money sloshing around that wants to buy a Premiership team for many reasons... how would you feel then ?
      I think you may have missed the point I was making generally about philanthropy, would the world be a better place if people no longer had the means to do things that one might not consider a benefit to all, certainly wouldn't be funded directly by government, and might only be appreciated by a small section of society, things like propping up a local football club?

      As for your point about the Premier League, it strikes me that the money sloshing around there is probably a reason why Tony would be less likely to sell if anything, as he won't be constantly having to dip in his pocket. The Amex is better appointed than a lot of Premier League grounds in terms of its facilities - *cough* Selhurst *cough* - so maximising match day revenues isn't an ongoing problem, and these are dwarfed by the TV money in any case.
      When Steve McQueen met The Blob, he tried to kill it. It probably never crossed his mind to try and take it out to a restaurant.
    • #97
      Members JC Footy Genius's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Middle Earth
      Posts
      4,027

      The gift that keeps on giving.


      0 Not allowed!


      'Our system rests to a large extent on the notion that we accept the result of free and fair elections with good grace, even if we’ve lost, and get on with making the best of it.'
    • #98
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      DONCASTER
      Posts
      251


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by PILTDOWN MAN View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The last few sentences certainly don't relate to the first few. We were the sick man of Europe prior to the 80's/90's. All that full employment, all I can remember is militant unions.
      That is probably because you listened to the right wing media. Lets not mention Saudi Arabia and the oil price hikes that caused wage demand. The unions had to respond they represented most of us on low wages. Inflation had kicked in. Most disputes were settled reasonably. The stand out was the over the top demands of the coal mining union led by a certain Mr Scargill. That brought about a strong anti union feeling amongst many. It paved the way for anti union legislation leaving workers rights in a siding. Only the European Union was left to give some kind of protection to workers. That struggle also led to the end of the consensus that had emerged from the 1930's being binned. You think the start of my comment does not relate to the last? Well I think you will find that one event can have consequences that lead to others. Throw a stone in a pond and watch the ripples.
    • #99

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ALBION28 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That is probably because you listened to the right wing media. Lets not mention Saudi Arabia and the oil price hikes that caused wage demand. The unions had to respond they represented most of us on low wages. Inflation had kicked in. Most disputes were settled reasonably. The stand out was the over the top demands of the coal mining union led by a certain Mr Scargill. That brought about a strong anti union feeling amongst many. It paved the way for anti union legislation leaving workers rights in a siding. Only the European Union was left to give some kind of protection to workers. That struggle also led to the end of the consensus that had emerged from the 1930's being binned. You think the start of my comment does not relate to the last? Well I think you will find that one event can have consequences that lead to others. Throw a stone in a pond and watch the ripples.
      Rubbish , union leaders were literally household names in the 70s , they led politically motivated disputes that nearly finished this country, anti union feeling was strong way before the last miners strike.
    • #100
      Members PILTDOWN MAN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      on the street
      Posts
      5,878


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ALBION28 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      That is probably because you listened to the right wing media. Lets not mention Saudi Arabia and the oil price hikes that caused wage demand. The unions had to respond they represented most of us on low wages. Inflation had kicked in. Most disputes were settled reasonably. The stand out was the over the top demands of the coal mining union led by a certain Mr Scargill. That brought about a strong anti union feeling amongst many. It paved the way for anti union legislation leaving workers rights in a siding. Only the European Union was left to give some kind of protection to workers. That struggle also led to the end of the consensus that had emerged from the 1930's being binned. You think the start of my comment does not relate to the last? Well I think you will find that one event can have consequences that lead to others. Throw a stone in a pond and watch the ripples.
      rubbish, end of.
      FFP look at the sodding regulations before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •