Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA CUP - Squad Opportunity or First Team ?

squad rotation exercise

• Rest the first team - fresh for the league games

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • vary depending on opposition

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • vary depending on progression

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • use the squad - its a reward for no regular 1st team game

Votes: 25 24.3%

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It also depends how the fixtures for the opposition fall. Therefore, if we draw say Arsenal who have a piss easy match on the Tuesday vs Watford then Arsenal will probably put out a half-decent side in the Cup, in which case you play the reserves. On the other hand if we draw a Prem club in the bottom 6 then there is a good chance they'll put out a weakened side in the Cup and prioritise in the league, in which case I'd like to see the likes of Knockaert and March up against some reserve full-backs from a Swansea or Sunderland as I fancy we could nick that match.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
its got to be Fulham in the 4th round has'nt it ?....... they sort of do deserve to beat us once this season....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One other factor - how far ahead are we in the league?

By the time the 6th round comes, if we are still in the cup, we could be virtually out of sight in the league.
Or outside of the play-offs.

Thanks to [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION], on the football 365 thread, the Albion could be 3rd on the 28th of January.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not what I said at all. Let's hope you learn to understand the English language.

"...........and we'd be expected to lose no matter what side we put out anyway."

I don't have too much of a problem understanding the English language, thank you. Expected to lose = little or no chance. No point in going up if that is going to be the way of things. On the other hand, beating the likes of Chelsea or ManU would be one hell of a boost.

Let's hope you learn to understand the English language.
Let's also hope you learn to be less patronising!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think third team players should not play if we play the top six in the PL. I think only the reserves.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
"...........and we'd be expected to lose no matter what side we put out anyway."

I don't have too much of a problem understanding the English language, thank you. Expected to lose = little or no chance. No point in going up if that is going to be the way of things.

Expected to lose means that most people would predict that we'd lose. Would you really expect us to beat a team like Man City or Chelsea? By no means am I saying that we can't beat them, but we certainly wouldn't be favourites.

If we go up this year, we'll be the underdogs in the majority of games next season. But just because we'd be the underdogs, doesn't mean we'd necessarily lose.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Squad for sure, whether it is Ipswich or Lincoln.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
In the event that Hunt, LuaLua and Ince go out on loan, this leaves us with:

Mäenpää
Rosenior
Goldson
Hünemeier
Pocognoli
Towell
Sidwell
Kayal
Skalak / Murphy / March / Bjordall / Tilley ( 2 from, take your pick)
Hemed

Well capable of winning a game against Ipswich or Lincoln i would have thought. If we don't lose all three players to loans, we have even more options!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Wouldn't want to put out a full strength team until the semi's but I would vary how strong the team was up until that point depending on opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here