Sherlock Holmes

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Y... I don't think they can any longer call it "based on stories by ADC"

Except that next week's episode is the only one of the entire set that takes its title directly from a Conan Doyle work. Apparently.

Last night's episode was entitled "The Lying Detective", loosely based on AC-D's "The Adventure of the Dying Detective" whose villain was a man named "Culverton Smith" who attempted to murder Sherlock...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So does the line about people always stopping at 3 and not looking beyond it, foreshadow an extra secret 4th episode this season ?

One thing about Moffat is that lines dropped into dialogue like that do tend to hint at future secrets.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was disappointed with the NY episode. The whole ex-spy/special forces, revenge plot thing made it feel like an episode of Spooks. I also think they have made Sherlock too dark. I found it all a bit depressing when I was looking forward to a bit of an escapist romp.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I was a bit unsure that SACD would have used the expression 'off his tits' otherwise all very enjoyable :)

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I thought it was excellent last night.

I and Mrs DiS were both enthralled with it last night. Just goes to prove each to his own, one man's meat is another man's poison, etc etc.

Excellently produced and acted, clever and thoughtful writing - not just a good (if somewhat far-fetched) story-line, but also very human.

And I loved the part that Una Stubbs played - the Aston Martin is hers, she is the widow of a drug dealer and she owns property in central London - preposterous but entertaining.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Toby Jones was excellent and a 'joy' to watch - if that's the right word. Creepy as heck. But the plot/writing is just becoming daft.

You guys need to get involved with Elementary!

Agree. I preferred early Sherlock to Elementary, but later Sherlock is sub par and makes Elementary far preferable.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's funny because I enjoyed last night's. The jimmy Savile undertones of the main criminal, the little nuances and the fact that sherlock's sibling may not be as obvious as it seemed (I had assumed it was molly or Mary so on the right lines)

It felt like having completed an cognitive reasoning test. Hard work, not restful but hugely satisfying. However I can also understand why tk many, it's not Sunday night entertainment

I physically squirmed when Toby Jones' character said that he'd been given the keys to all the rooms of "his" hospital. He played the villain superbly - what a great actor he is.

Having not much liked the first episode of this new series, I really enjoyed last night's personally.

I and Mrs DiS were both enthralled with it last night. Just goes to prove each to his own, one man's meat is another man's poison, etc etc.

Excellently produced and acted, clever and thoughtful writing - not just a good (if somewhat far-fetched) story-line, but also very human.

And I loved the part that Una Stubbs played - the Aston Martin is hers, she is the widow of a drug dealer and she owns property in central London - preposterous but entertaining.

I agree with you all... The Savile themes were creepy as hell, but Toby Jones is a great actor. (the video montage of him including a clip of him running a marathon in a jump suit... eugh)

I though Martin Freeman was excellent as well in last night's episode - a real opportunity to do show off his range; he's come a long was from the Office.

An enthralling episode, and sets the finale up perfectly.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I agree! But, we've always known that she owns property in central London - 221b Baker Street, for example

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Another shout for Una Stubbs!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Toby Jones is a brilliant actor. Enjoyed this episode.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree! But, we've always known that she owns property in central London - 221b Baker Street, for example

I - possibly wrongly - took it to mean more than 221b Baker Street.........

....... Not that 221b Baker Street actually exists - I used to go up to that part of London quite a lot, and there is a statue of Sherlock outside where it would be - just by Baker Street Underground Station.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Toby Jones is a brilliant actor. Enjoyed this episode.

Mostly Jimmy Savile, with bits of perhaps Trump or Farage thrown in. Phenomenal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last night's episode was superb.

It almost doesn't matter about the plot with that ensemble and a good script, the actual nuts and bolts of the case seem almost unnecessary.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Saw the NYE edition, with Mrs Peteinblack, and both agreed it was absolute nonsense - almost a piss-take. It seemed as if Cumberbatch couldn't be bothered - he might a well have phoned his lines in, and the story-line was pathetic; silly and convoluted in equal measure. Too much am-dram ham-acting by the main characters.

Deeply disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here