Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Burger Thread

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm going to blaspheme the thread here, by sticking my neck out and saying this: I don't like Burger Bros- there I've said it. I don't care for wholemeal buns, and I've found the meat a little dry.

For a takeaway burger, it has to be, in my opinion, Smoque Grill on Islingword Rd. It was recommended on here a few years ago, and good god is it a decent burger. Reasonable as well, and handily on just eat, so if you're busy with Cowgirl MILFS, they'll just deliver to your door!!!

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
I'm going to blaspheme the thread here, by sticking my neck out and saying this: I don't like Burger Bros- there I've said it. I don't care for wholemeal buns, and I've found the meat a little dry.

For a takeaway burger, it has to be, in my opinion, Smoque Grill on Islingword Rd. It was recommended on here a few years ago, and good god is it a decent burger. Reasonable as well, and handily on just eat, so if you're busy with Cowgirl MILFS, they'll just deliver to your door!!!

They will delivery to your door but it will be stone cold without fail every single time! Lovely burger but the delivery service is terrible so I would advise collection only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nooooooooo! I hope whoever takes it on keeps the wide variety of drinks. This is such a great place to drink (if you can get in the door!)

I agree. It's a lovely place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm yet to go so it's interesting to here this and I'll be disappointed if the meat is dry. Good quality meat needs a bit of fat with it.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
I'm yet to go so it's interesting to here this and I'll be disappointed if the meat is dry. Good quality meat needs a bit of fat with it.

They make all their patties from minced sirloin, never had a dry burger in the three years I've been going there. My favourite is the classic beef with extra caramelized onions, stonking stuff.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Iceberger are definitely one of my favourites. Good quality burgers with a decent range of toppings that aren't too extravagant. The only downside is that they use the ever popular brioche buns, which I just don't get.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

My complaint with Burger Bros is the sauce they use on the bun. I've no idea what they put in it but I could taste it hours after I'd eaten the burger. It's not a pleasant sensation.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
View attachment 80980

For a fast food Burger, it's a Grubbs for me. It's classic example of looks awful on the outside but lovely inside. Once inside the burgers are great!
Then for a more gourmet burger it's The Plough on the Pond in Rottingdean. They do a 2-4-1 Burger offer every Wednesday and they are honestly fantastic.

This. Always enjoy a Grubbs original when I get the chance. They used to have one near Palmira Sq with a weird vertical conveyer belt, best choc brownies in town as I remember. Is it still there?
Not a big fan of 9inch high gourmet burgers skewered together with a tent peg and served on a bit of 4X2 for £15.00 a pop.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That must be the result of oil used beyond its useful life?

I was once told by a fish and chip shop owner that you cannot use all new oil/fat you have to put some old stuff in with the new. As regards burgers the Hairy Bikers did one on their TV Program yesterday using chuck steak which looked good. Only problem is I do not have a commercial type mincer like they use but have often thought of buying a domestic one of similar design. Has anybody done this and prooved successful.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Always used to be an Uncle Sam's double chilli burger with extra chilli for me before the game.

Plenty if decent options around now - I like the Yeoman's venison burger with Sussex blue cheese for something a bit different.

Coggings & Co at seven dials is consistently excellent and made with local produce. Goose fat chips, onion rings and courgette fritters to boot.

Other than that make your own - mine are great (has to be said). I adapted an old Delia meatloaf recipe and make them with good beef plus ground salami, rosemary, Parmesan, black pepper and garlic and a few breadcrumbs to retain the melting fats. Top stuff!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Went to hampden park uncle sams a few months back and was bitterly disappointed.

That said, I was always suspicious of the out of town ones, not including warren road.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ok I am not sure if this can be answered here, but me and old friends have been trying to remember one of the first out of town Burger Bars this direction, Saltdean, Peacehaven etc., so any help would be great.

It must have been 1981'sh and we all used to pile into our cars and race down to the lights at Rotthingdean heading towards Brighton from Peacehaven and turn left towards the sea, park up near or next to The Coach House pub we then enter a nearby restaurant (it might have been a Thai/Chinese) and go down the stairs to a little hatch where we could order and pick up burgers of our choice, I seem to remember they were quite nice but we just cannot recall the name, if you are of that era and location maybe you can let me know, thank you ??

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I went back to the Troll for the first time in ages on the evening of the Cardiff fog-off, and still think that it is comfortably the best burger in Brighton.

Burger Bros and MeatLiquor are great but really don't come close IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• IMG_5449.JPG
    IMG_5449.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 260

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills