Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Burger Thread

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm doing Veganuary (Vegan for Jan) so thanks a lot for this thread Herr, you heathen.

I'm salivating just remembering all the possibilities. Five Guys was hugely disappointing, actually makes me feel a bit ill when I have those. Went through a phase of making my own, using a recipe I found online to try and recreate the burgers from 'In 'n Out burgers'. You need quite fatty meat, which makes all the difference, and of course a griddle. So many great burgers but not done it for ages as the other half is vegan, wouldn't go down well!

I made Mexican bean, jalapeño, roasted pepper & sweetcorn burgers last night, with basil vegan mayo and tomato chutney (and rocket, tomato, etc). Was actually really good, very satisfying and the best veggie (vegan) burger I've ever had.

Two Things wrong here.
1. Stupid word created for January + Vegan
2. That Mexican cocktail purporting as a 'burger'! It's wrong on so many levels!! Just give up for Jan and look forward to your tasty treat on Feb 1st, but don't go venturing off into 'delicious vegan offerings'. Only trouble will come of that.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I knew which burger you would have chosen before opening this thread :thumbsup:

I liked the bird but I really didn't like their 'medium rare or go home' attitude, for me I like my burgers medium-well and more towards the well done end at that and they really, really don't like that. Burgermeister was ****ing excellent as well, although far too messy for a street burger.

I'm a burger off man, the burgers there are good quality and cheap, just a shame that the chips are proper shit.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I had a burger at Honest Burgers in Brixton Flower Market a few years ago before they started expanding and it was the best burger I've had. I haven't tried one since (very young Kids) but my memory of it was as close to burger perfection as you'll get. I've lived in the states for a bit and had a great burger in Connecticut but this was sensational.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The burger patties from the butchers in Southwick Square are bloody marvellous. One of my BBQ specialties with those is EGG in the HOLE

Squash the patty down a bit to spread it a little wider, and then use a shot glass to cut a hole in the middle so you have a "burger donut". Grill it on the BBQ as normal, but just before its ready, put the burger in a mini frying pan, crack an egg into the hole in the middle, and fry it. Flip it so the egg / yoke is cooked right through, and serve in a bun.

Super.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The burger patties from the butchers in Southwick Square are bloody marvellous. One of my BBQ specialties with those is EGG in the HOLE

Squash the patty down a bit to spread it a little wider, and then use a shot glass to cut a hole in the middle so you have a "burger donut". Grill it on the BBQ as normal, but just before its ready, put the burger in a mini frying pan, crack an egg into the hole in the middle, and fry it. Flip it so the egg / yoke is cooked right through, and serve in a bun.

Super.

What do you do with bit cut out?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where to start with this thread without having loads of quotes.

Gourmet kebab - the Troll tried it but it didn't work. Not sure if it was the location but people didn't want them that early in the evening and he ended up with loads left over so is now out of the Druids and having a rethink.

Troll has been back in the shack opposite The Albert and trying new things (venison, duck, etc). I get the impression he is bored with burgers as he has spun the business off into a community thing but yet to find his next big thing that meets his environmental loves..

Burger Kult (based in Mash Tun), has great burger toppings but the beef was not as good as it could have been.

The Woods, Worthing - not tried it yet but they sell 3oz beef burgers which are never going to be great for taste as they will cook too quickly. Will give it a go soon as Worthing has no decent burger place.

MeatLiquor - was pleasantly surprised by them as I thought it might be too much style over substance but a tasty burger.

Brioche buns - generally hold together better than bog standard roll. Burger Brothers use Chollah bread rolls which hold together very well.

Glazed Ring Donuts - came from Man vs Food. I have made these myself and they taste good but very messy and not good for your diet!

Homemade burgers - I use 35 day aged steak mince and only add some steak seasoning and nothing else. Cook on a griddle if possible.

Byron burgers - I find these over-rated. A trendy version of GBK. Assume Smashburger in Brighton will be fairly similar.

Five Guys - had these in the US. Better than McD's/BK/Wendys etc but nothing special. Would take a Grubbs over these any day.

Patty & Bun in London are good. Would also recommend their rosemary fries with chicken skin mayonnaise - very tasty.

Uncle Sams were better than your McD's/BK etc but the franchises are very inconsistent these days. Both Worthing ones are pretty poor. Burgess Hill is the best I have found.

Current favourite locally is still Burger Brothers. They are consistently high quality and I've never had a duff burger from there. Not the widest choice but what they do they do very well.

Working in Edinburgh this week so looking to try a recommended craft beer and burger place up there.

Does this sound like I eat a lot of burgers?

Worth a visit :

http://www.burgersandbeersgrillhouse.co.uk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gourmet kebab - the Troll tried it but it didn't work. Not sure if it was the location but people didn't want them that early in the evening and he ended up with loads left over so is now out of the Druids and having a rethink.

Troll has been back in the shack opposite The Albert and trying new things (venison, duck, etc). I get the impression he is bored with burgers as he has spun the business off into a community thing but yet to find his next big thing that meets his environmental loves..

Burger Kult (based in Mash Tun), has great burger toppings but the beef was not as good as it could have been.

The Woods, Worthing - not tried it yet but they sell 3oz beef burgers which are never going to be great for taste as they will cook too quickly. Will give it a go soon as Worthing has no decent burger place.

MeatLiquor - was pleasantly surprised by them as I thought it might be too much style over substance but a tasty burger.

Brioche buns - generally hold together better than bog standard roll. Burger Brothers use Chollah bread rolls which hold together very well.

Glazed Ring Donuts - came from Man vs Food. I have made these myself and they taste good but very messy and not good for your diet!

Homemade burgers - I use 35 day aged steak mince and only add some steak seasoning and nothing else. Cook on a griddle if possible.

Byron burgers - I find these over-rated. A trendy version of GBK. Assume Smashburger in Brighton will be fairly similar.

Five Guys - had these in the US. Better than McD's/BK/Wendys etc but nothing special. Would take a Grubbs over these any day.

Patty & Bun in London are good. Would also recommend their rosemary fries with chicken skin mayonnaise - very tasty.

Uncle Sams were better than your McD's/BK etc but the franchises are very inconsistent these days. Both Worthing ones are pretty poor. Burgess Hill is the best I have found.

Current favourite locally is still Burger Brothers. They are consistently high quality and I've never had a duff burger from there. Not the widest choice but what they do they do very well.

Working in Edinburgh this week so looking to try a recommended craft beer and burger place up there.

Excellent work :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll look those burgers up - gotta be better than Tesco Finest.

Butchers burgers are always better than Tesco. Although to be fair, the large fresh Angus burgers off the deli counter at Tesco are decent. You just need to get decent sized ones if you're lobbing an egg in the middle - the standard sized patties just won't cut it, they'll break up if the "meat ring" isn't wide enough.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"

Try http://www.theholyrood.co.uk/ if you are on that side of town.

Jul 7, 2003
I'm doing Veganuary (Vegan for Jan) so thanks a lot for this thread Herr, you heathen.

I'm salivating just remembering all the possibilities. Five Guys was hugely disappointing, actually makes me feel a bit ill when I have those. Went through a phase of making my own, using a recipe I found online to try and recreate the burgers from 'In 'n Out burgers'. You need quite fatty meat, which makes all the difference, and of course a griddle. So many great burgers but not done it for ages as the other half is vegan, wouldn't go down well!

I made Mexican bean, jalapeño, roasted pepper & sweetcorn burgers last night, with basil vegan mayo and tomato chutney (and rocket, tomato, etc). Was actually really good, very satisfying and the best veggie (vegan) burger I've ever had.

I'm told that the Burger Brothers veggie burger is very good. The Troll is a former veggie so is also supposed to knock out a decent veggie burger.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
IMG_8297.JPG

For a fast food Burger, it's a Grubbs for me. It's classic example of looks awful on the outside but lovely inside. Once inside the burgers are great!
Then for a more gourmet burger it's The Plough on the Pond in Rottingdean. They do a 2-4-1 Burger offer every Wednesday and they are honestly fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here