Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Burger Thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Good thread.

I rarely get to eat out in 'grown up' places these days but I may use this thread to post occasional photos and reviews of the complete rip-off abominations that masquerade as a burger that you get in places like safari parks, zoos and other family attractions.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
The muffin bun is novel twist and intrigues me. What puzzles me however is the recent trend towards brioche buns. Not for me but I guess some people must like 'em.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The muffin bun is novel twist and intrigues me. What puzzles me however is the recent trend towards brioche buns. Not for me but I guess some people must like 'em.

I can't stand the brioche bun. What on earth is that all about? It's like getting a perfectly edible bun then coating it in varnish.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Funnily enough this might be starting to get some traction. I understand the Trolls guy is looking into this and The Guardian went in search of the perefect kebab a short while ago https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/nov/20/doner-kebabs-celebration-50-years-berlin-germany

As always I am ahead of the zeitgeist. On phone to retail property agents in green lanes as we speak. Also registering names like "doner and blitzen" and "gyro-scope" as soon as I can. #onestepaheadofthehipsters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Bun is important for me. Agree re brioche. Also don't really want anything overly bread-y. Needs to be a fine balance between the actual burger and bun

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What about the fad of using a glazed ring donut as the bun?

This is new to me and not something I have experienced. I can only assume it is a game played by bored kitchen staff to see just what confused diners will accept before they actually complain that they are having the piss taken out of them.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Just got into making and cooking my own. They've come out pretty well if I do say so myself :drool:

Still experimenting with seasoning and what I'm adding to the meat.

Hoping to produce Burgers as good as my local place, Half Man Half Burger. Gorgeous Burgers between £8 and £15.

They have just opened a brunch in Eastbourne haven't they? Been meaning to try it out.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Time for a gourmet kebab craze I think.

Funnily enough this might be starting to get some traction. I understand the Trolls guy is looking into this and The Guardian went in search of the perefect kebab a short while ago https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/nov/20/doner-kebabs-celebration-50-years-berlin-germany

If you find yourself in St Albans for any reason, this place is well worth visiting:

http://thekebab.co.uk/

I went there with my brother and sister-in-law and their kids/my Godsons after a prizegiving ceremony, by which time we were ravenous. Really decent, tasty kebabs, and the place was as clean as a whistle. Sadly, I don't know of anywhere I can recommend in Sussex, though.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When it comes to burgers, size isn't everything. Too many places boast of their signature burger when it's just a full English in a bun basically needing engineers to disassemble after the server plonks it on the table with the obligatory minuture trolley of chips. Much prefer quality these days. Ow and just a burger, nicely seasoned and TASTY with perhaps a bit of salad included but not an allotment. And let's get back to floury baps or seasame buns please. You can now do one brioche, were done with you, you YOU FOREIGN fad!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Went to FIVE GUYS after the game in Fulham, expensive but bloody lovely burger, 15 choices of toppings, we opted for every single one..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
ultimate-burger.jpg

I like the ultimate burger in Wetherspoons.

6oz burger with cheese & bacon, tomato & onion, sides of chips & onion rings. It's good value as well at £7.50 with a beer. You can also add another 6oz patty for just £1.25.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There seems to be a lot of interest in burgers on this site with posts about the best burger vendor, home cooking and medium versus well done etc etc. I thought I'd start a separate thread; I figure if there's not enough interest, or the feeling is other threads cover the topic, it will die a natural death.

I'll kick things off with my usual from The Bird. This is the Dr Zian with blue cheese and US style belly bacon and cooked medium. My favourite burger and it balances the flavour of the chargrilled meat with the 2 classic toppings. One criticism of Trolls is that the burger gets lost with some of his more crazy fillings. I'm not sure if the Zian is perfect though, the bun is a muffin which works okay but in a kind of neutral doesn't-add-much way. That said it is a good sponge for the flavors but I do wonder what another bun would be like. The chips are exactly the way I like them; well cooked and super crispy and I sling a decent amount of salt and a dollop of mayo on them. Add a home made pickled gurkin, raw red onion and a slice of tomato and you've got a happy Herr Tubthumper.

The problem I see with a burger like that with chips like that is its way to dry and you'd need a few pints to get that down. Anything more substantial than a basic mufin would make that inedible imo.

Thoughts?.

Jul 7, 2003
Where to start with this thread without having loads of quotes.

Gourmet kebab - the Troll tried it but it didn't work. Not sure if it was the location but people didn't want them that early in the evening and he ended up with loads left over so is now out of the Druids and having a rethink.

Troll has been back in the shack opposite The Albert and trying new things (venison, duck, etc). I get the impression he is bored with burgers as he has spun the business off into a community thing but yet to find his next big thing that meets his environmental loves..

Burger Kult (based in Mash Tun), has great burger toppings but the beef was not as good as it could have been.

The Woods, Worthing - not tried it yet but they sell 3oz beef burgers which are never going to be great for taste as they will cook too quickly. Will give it a go soon as Worthing has no decent burger place.

MeatLiquor - was pleasantly surprised by them as I thought it might be too much style over substance but a tasty burger.

Brioche buns - generally hold together better than bog standard roll. Burger Brothers use Chollah bread rolls which hold together very well.

Glazed Ring Donuts - came from Man vs Food. I have made these myself and they taste good but very messy and not good for your diet!

Homemade burgers - I use 35 day aged steak mince and only add some steak seasoning and nothing else. Cook on a griddle if possible.

Byron burgers - I find these over-rated. A trendy version of GBK. Assume Smashburger in Brighton will be fairly similar.

Five Guys - had these in the US. Better than McD's/BK/Wendys etc but nothing special. Would take a Grubbs over these any day.

Patty & Bun in London are good. Would also recommend their rosemary fries with chicken skin mayonnaise - very tasty.

Uncle Sams were better than your McD's/BK etc but the franchises are very inconsistent these days. Both Worthing ones are pretty poor. Burgess Hill is the best I have found.

Current favourite locally is still Burger Brothers. They are consistently high quality and I've never had a duff burger from there. Not the widest choice but what they do they do very well.

Working in Edinburgh this week so looking to try a recommended craft beer and burger place up there.

Does this sound like I eat a lot of burgers?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Gourmet kebab - the Troll tried it but it didn't work. Not sure if it was the location but people didn't want them that early in the evening and he ended up with loads left over so is now out of the Druids and having a rethink.

Troll has been back in the shack opposite The Albert and trying new things (venison, duck, etc). I get the impression he is bored with burgers as he has spun the business off into a community thing but yet to find his next big thing that meets his environmental loves..

Burger Kult (based in Mash Tun), has great burger toppings but the beef was not as good as it could have been.

The Woods, Worthing - not tried it yet but they sell 3oz beef burgers which are never going to be great for taste as they will cook too quickly. Will give it a go soon as Worthing has no decent burger place.

MeatLiquor - was pleasantly surprised by them as I thought it might be too much style over substance but a tasty burger.

Brioche buns - generally hold together better than bog standard roll. Burger Brothers use Chollah bread rolls which hold together very well.

Glazed Ring Donuts - came from Man vs Food. I have made these myself and they taste good but very messy and not good for your diet!

Homemade burgers - I use 35 day aged steak mince and only add some steak seasoning and nothing else. Cook on a griddle if possible.

Byron burgers - I find these over-rated. A trendy version of GBK. Assume Smashburger in Brighton will be fairly similar.

Five Guys - had these in the US. Better than McD's/BK/Wendys etc but nothing special. Would take a Grubbs over these any day.

Patty & Bun in London are good. Would also recommend their rosemary fries with chicken skin mayonnaise - very tasty.

Uncle Sams were better than your McD's/BK etc but the franchises are very inconsistent these days. Both Worthing ones are pretty poor. Burgess Hill is the best I have found.

Current favourite locally is still Burger Brothers. They are consistently high quality and I've never had a duff burger from there. Not the widest choice but what they do they do very well.

Working in Edinburgh this week so looking to try a recommended craft beer and burger place up there.

Yes.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Not for me to pass judgement, but don't expect Dr No to be along any time soon.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I'm doing Veganuary (Vegan for Jan) so thanks a lot for this thread Herr, you heathen.

I'm salivating just remembering all the possibilities. Five Guys was hugely disappointing, actually makes me feel a bit ill when I have those. Went through a phase of making my own, using a recipe I found online to try and recreate the burgers from 'In 'n Out burgers'. You need quite fatty meat, which makes all the difference, and of course a griddle. So many great burgers but not done it for ages as the other half is vegan, wouldn't go down well!

I made Mexican bean, jalapeño, roasted pepper & sweetcorn burgers last night, with basil vegan mayo and tomato chutney (and rocket, tomato, etc). Was actually really good, very satisfying and the best veggie (vegan) burger I've ever had.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Cricket Inn burger in Beesands always worth a try in my experience :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here