Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2017

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I watched kingsman: the golden circle last week, what a load of crap.

Saw Jungle last night. Bit of a strange one. It had me glued but I don't really know why as it wasn't tense or exciting, acting was pretty bland, story wasn't even anything special, but I still really enjoyed it.

Me and the Mrs both disliked Atomic Blonde. We were expecting an intense action thriller with plenty of nostalgic nods to the 80's but it was just dull and the action scenes were over way too quick. Shame, definitely had promise.

Dark Tower was pretty good, although it felt like it was aimed at the younger generation. I'm not a fan of either of the main actors, but the kid from Dr Foster was actually pretty good. Decent family entertainment.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
This year a miniature Meade has of course begun to dominate time, and purpose, so I’ve not snuck to a new release since his arrival near August’s beginning. At home, on a late feeding shift I can just about manage to watch whatever’s been on itv4 that night - usually vapid action pap with the likes of Sly is the depth worn cranium can handle. But, almost secretly, a stole two afternoons a week ago to see what the London Film Festival had to offer, taking with me large bottles of Pepsi to keep me going. It was nice to be there, to catch a snippet of what’s to come, and hear a director or two talk lovingly and lyrically about their work. The films, though, weren’t great, as such.
First up was Good Manners, billed as one not to miss, and different to anything else you’ll see. I suppose the latter was somewhat true. The presenter leading us into the film said of how it’s best not to know of the spoiler jus5 a bit 9f way through, but the clues aren’t exactly subtle with the mini horror story to come. Brazilian, the film, with a hotpotch of genres that have this as a social drama, romantic, coming of age, musical horror comedy. When the directors spoke, they said they found unity at film school many years ago with their love of horrors, musicals and Disney films, and you can see their passion for each here. It works ok, overall, and entertained, but didn’t strike a chord wholeheartedly. The graphics were far less convincing than the model we see, which was a creepy sight. The acting of the nanny was good though, I have to say. Not bad, really.

Second up was Foxtrot, an Israeli military drama. This was good, if searingly painful to view at times. They describe the movements of the foxtrot at one point, and the narrative follows those, in a square motion leading back to the beginning. It opens with the military informing a family that their son is killed in action and, of course, that sends them into an incurable despair. Their grief, and combustion, is striking. The lead actor spoke of the director’s technique, which is to shoot a scene again and again until the camera battery runs out, and how this intensity has them lose count of take numbers, whilst the director rabbits on at them that it is their fault the son was killed, on repeat. The method works here in the results of the acting being that of wo4n out and broken people. The film takes three turns through, the second away from the family and out to the road block their son was stationed at, showing these youngsters wielding guns in a playful yet confused state. Anywho, ‘‘twas good, but difficult to recommend to watch due to the agony through it all.

Third film was The Winter Brothers, a scandi film with a lead who looks Nicholas Lyndhurst, if he was to appear in Day of the Dead. Not a zombie one here though. Just a mini melodrama between two brothers out in a desolate part of the country, making ends meet working in a mine, whilst brewing their own vodka. I was engrossed enough, but it didn’t lead to any great conclusion.

Finally, a Paddy Considine film, written, directed by and starring. When i saw it had been part produced by The Wellcome Institute, this brain damaged boxer drama seemed to have its makings as an educational feature written throughout. It wasn’t great, and pootled along without the depth a more daring view of the injury and its repercussions. Well acted, but it ired me a bit.

The girlfriend’s mum is over in a couple of weeks, and I intend to use that time neglecting my son, and catching up with a film or two.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I thought Bladerunner 2049 was excellent but unless you have seen the original would be confusing and pointless. It attempts to answer many questions raised in the first film but as in the first film leaves any conclusions open. It also has enough unresolved issues to make a third film. The first film had a philosophical approach to the isssues of robots and the interactions with humans and this theme is developed nicely particularly with the two Bladerunners and the understanding of who they are. Very thoughtful and provocative. Music and sets are greatly influenced by the first film which I thought was great, you realise how influential the first film was.
Off to see Death of Stalin later today and Walking Dead returns tonight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just back from Thor.

It's a comedy, a funny comedy but a comedy nevertheless.

We enjoyed it but many of the action scenes seemed a little disjointed and almost shoehorned into the script, with some clumsy edits.

On the whole we did enjoy it but I'm not sure how such a tongue in cheek film will be regarded by those who take Marvel a little more seriously.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I loved The Snowman trailer

Sadly I didn't love the movie. So slow

5/10

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought Bladerunner 2049 was excellent but unless you have seen the original would be confusing and pointless. It attempts to answer many questions raised in the first film but as in the first film leaves any conclusions open. It also has enough unresolved issues to make a third film. The first film had a philosophical approach to the isssues of robots and the interactions with humans and this theme is developed nicely particularly with the two Bladerunners and the understanding of who they are. Very thoughtful and provocative. Music and sets are greatly influenced by the first film which I thought was great, you realise how influential the first film was.
Off to see Death of Stalin later today and Walking Dead returns tonight.

Watched this last night at the Odeon. It was long, but really enjoyed it. I could probably have watched the urban flyover scenes with that thunderous soundtrack for an hour or two on its own. Films are obviously visual, but I thought the sound on this one was stunning.

Not sure about whether it answered many questions, or just raised more? Felt this film concentrated on the narrative of K with everything else simply in the background. The first film we sort of revolved around Deckard, Rachel, Roy and Tyrell, where 2049 felt much more focussed on this single character. There were so many bigger things that hovered in the background but didn't ever interrupt that focus. Even Deckard really is a side plot to K at the end, and I loved the moment he pointed to his dog and said "why don't you ask him?".

In an age of all fast action, massive set pieces, this was a beautifully shot, composed felt that wasn't afraid to hang some great visuals in front of you and just leave them there. I really enjoyed it, and will watch it again, probably after watching the original (for the 10th time!).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thor Ragnorak
I LOVED this. I'm a big comic book fan, and enjoy most comic book movies. Yes, this one leans heavily into comedy, but to be honest, even a CBM fan such as myself thinks the movie scene is dominated with this genre, and the way to keep that fresh and interesting is for different ones to lean in different directions. Taiki Waititi was responsible for my favourite film lat year. He may be responsible for my favourite film this year. It was hilarious, and I enjoyed almost every minute of it. I thought I would tire of the 'build up to big heroic moment but end with a pratfall' pattern, but never did. I thought the Norway scenes looked odd (they were originally shot as New York, but changed in post-production and you can tell, there's something artificial about the vistas)

Happy Death Day
I was expecting a horror comedy in the vein of Shaun of the Dead, so spent the first 20-25 minutes not liking the film because it wasn't particularly funny. Once I let go of that and accepted it for the gimmicky horror with a light essence, more in the vein of final destination, or a less ironic scream, it actually won me over and by the end of the film I quite enjoyed it.

Jigsaw
I think I was perhaps in the right mood for it. I would say it in many ways felt like it belonged in the series, though it has reined in the gore (a bit), in some ways it did feel like it was missing something to make it seem worth it, having come to a natural end with The Final Chapter. Probably not going to go down as a classic, but if you've sat through the first 7, this won't feel out of keeping with the series.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Thor Ragnorak
I LOVED this. I'm a big comic book fan, and enjoy most comic book movies. Yes, this one leans heavily into comedy, but to be honest, even a CBM fan such as myself thinks the movie scene is dominated with this genre, and the way to keep that fresh and interesting is for different ones to lean in different directions. Taiki Waititi was responsible for my favourite film lat year. He may be responsible for my favourite film this year. It was hilarious, and I enjoyed almost every minute of it. I thought I would tire of the 'build up to big heroic moment but end with a pratfall' pattern, but never did. I thought the Norway scenes looked odd (they were originally shot as New York, but changed in post-production and you can tell, there's something artificial about the vistas)

Happy Death Day
I was expecting a horror comedy in the vein of Shaun of the Dead, so spent the first 20-25 minutes not liking the film because it wasn't particularly funny. Once I let go of that and accepted it for the gimmicky horror with a light essence, more in the vein of final destination, or a less ironic scream, it actually won me over and by the end of the film I quite enjoyed it.

Jigsaw
I think I was perhaps in the right mood for it. I would say it in many ways felt like it belonged in the series, though it has reined in the gore (a bit), in some ways it did feel like it was missing something to make it seem worth it, having come to a natural end with The Final Chapter. Probably not going to go down as a classic, but if you've sat through the first 7, this won't feel out of keeping with the series.

I totally agree about Thor. I can cope with the film not being dramatic perfection when it’s that funny.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Watched this last night at the Odeon. It was long, but really enjoyed it. I could probably have watched the urban flyover scenes with that thunderous soundtrack for an hour or two on its own. Films are obviously visual, but I thought the sound on this one was stunning.

Not sure about whether it answered many questions, or just raised more? Felt this film concentrated on the narrative of K with everything else simply in the background. The first film we sort of revolved around Deckard, Rachel, Roy and Tyrell, where 2049 felt much more focussed on this single character. There were so many bigger things that hovered in the background but didn't ever interrupt that focus. Even Deckard really is a side plot to K at the end, and I loved the moment he pointed to his dog and said "why don't you ask him?".

In an age of all fast action, massive set pieces, this was a beautifully shot, composed felt that wasn't afraid to hang some great visuals in front of you and just leave them there. I really enjoyed it, and will watch it again, probably after watching the original (for the 10th time!).
the two films certainly get me thinking, I don't think I understood the theme behind Bladerunner when I first saw it but over the years and with the release of the second the underling concept of 'what is consciousness' on a philosophical level becomes much clearer. This and the TV series of 'Westworld' are two entertaining ways of addressing the question.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
the two films certainly get me thinking, I don't think I understood the theme behind Bladerunner when I first saw it but over the years and with the release of the second the underling concept of 'what is consciousness' on a philosophical level becomes much clearer. This and the TV series of 'Westworld' are two entertaining ways of addressing the question.

To some degree the reboot of Battlestar Galatica was just that too.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Watched The Party which is a 70 minute black and white film which looks more like a play. Good fun and if you like short and quick arty films then you will enjoy it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This theme is discussed regularly across a broad range of film and TV media. Even Red Dwarf covered it recently.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Well nothing is that new what’s your point in relation to discussing Bladerunner?

That if you find the thematic elements present in Blade Runner to be interesting, then there’s lots more media that could tickle that particular itch for you too.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I persuaded my parents to get out the house Saturday night and took them to see Murder on the Orient Express at cineworld in Poole.

Very rare for them to make the effort and they were looking forward to it more than I was.

The best summation was my old Mum saying she just thought the whole film was just an excuse for Kenneth Branagh to just be the star.
It was also a nice paycheck for the other a-list names , but apart from that it was a waste of two hours.

I do have to say I was amazed how full the place was. Maybe if you pack a cast full of stars you get bums on seats. Simple as.

We said 4/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Cinecity festival is underway with films showing at Duke of Yorks, Duke's at the Komedia and Lewes Depot. It started on Friday and will run through to the 26th November. A range of films from around the world. Last year I saw Free Fire, which I liked but seemed to get mixed responses, and Raw, which I also liked and that got a lot of strong reviews, but I don't think it found a mainstream audience, but that's french coming-of-age cannibalism movies for you.

I saw my first cinecity film last night at the Komedia - Blade of the Immortal. It is the promoted as the 100th film from Takashi Miike who is most famous for films like 13 Assassins, Audition, Visitor Q, Ichi the Killer, Yakuza Apocalypse, and one of my favourites: The Happiness of the Katakuris. Blade of the Immortal follows a japanese warrior who is made immortal by a mysterious woman. 50 years later a young girl seeks him out to act as her bodyguard so she can seek revenge on the man who killed her mother and father. It is delightfully over the top violent, with a lot of sweet and funny moments.

More on cinecity: http://www.cine-city.co.uk/

Jul 7, 2003
I went to see the new Paddington film yesterday afternoon. Very enjoyable family film with plenty to keep both adults and kids amused. Great cast and High Grant looks like he is having great fun hamming it up as an old actor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep just back from Padders, bloody good fun.

Another vote for Paddington 2 from the Pottings who all saw it yesterday. Plenty to enjoy for both young and older, couldn't decide whether Hugh Grant or Brendan Gleeson seemed to be having the most fun playing their OTT roles in the film! Definitely leaves one with a "warm glow".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here