Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2017

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw the Star Wars, Rogue thingamajig about 10 days ago. I was staying in a hotel in London, a day before I had a flat to move into, and I thought I ought to kill some time seeing something. I'd read also on here how it's a cracker. It was alright, for me. I am not a Star Wars follower, greatly, so planets and names linking it all together don't really instill me with wonder. Still, it was enjoyable enough. Some of the acting was pretty shocking, and I didn't like to see Peter Cushing brought back to life like that. But it was all action and that has to be enough at times.

Silence - my god what a shocker. Saw it last week, with a sense of intrigue over it being a new Scorsese and the subject matter. But 32 Jesuses wept, it was an agonizing two and bit hours, for all the wrong reasons. A combination of dreadful acting, unsubtle dialogue that was simply hurting my insides, and kung fu villainy from the Japanese. Liam Neeson is the new Sean Connery in this, as he plays a Portuguese religious man with a thick American Irish accent. The others at least pretend to be Portuguese, badly. I didn't enjoy it at all. Not often even visually. Bobbins.

Passengers was just about alright at best. Chris Pratt isn't best used as an emotional actor, which is perfectly fine, but to put him up alongside Jennifer Lawrence has him stand out as not quite up to it. Lawrence's character is rather annoying too. "I'm a writer. I just want to travel the universe and uncover secrets and jot them down." *puketry*
The film is sold as a Sci-fi romance, but it just thrusts some dirty and amoral questions into the arena that clash a tad with it being warm and heartfelt. It could have been told more interestingly, I feel. More darkly.
You know, it was alright. But forgettable. Michael Sheen was quite good.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
For me it is far better than the Artist but I am pleased you enjoyed it. That is high praise indeed and probably the first time we have both enjoyed the same film :D

:)
Aye, that's good indeed. A happy new film year to you.
Saw it at the festival last year La La Land. The year before, though, was the director's previous flick, Whiplash, which I thought was better. The music, for the most part, was simply great in both films.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
If the self-obsessed, shallow and tedious little critics love it - then it's probably sh&t.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another one here looking forward to TS2. I've even taken the day off to see it in the daytime with the wife. :)

I like the look of "Manchester by the Sea", somewhat overshadowed by "La La Land", but certainly far more up my street (I don't really do musicals with the odd exception, but do like a gritty drama). Has anyone seen that yet?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If the self-obsessed, shallow and tedious little critics love it - then it's probably sh&t.

I tend to find the imdb general concensus mark to be a pretty accurate guide as to how good a film is like. With often tens of thousands of votes it reaches a true reflection generally

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Another one here looking forward to TS2. I've even taken the day off to see it in the daytime with the wife. :)

I like the look of "Manchester by the Sea", somewhat overshadowed by "La La Land", but certainly far more up my street (I don't really do musicals with the odd exception, but do like a gritty drama). Has anyone seen that yet?

Yeah I saw that at the festival too. Tis a definite good one. Sombre, but has a certain warmth to it and bubbles with feeling. Different to La La Land, of course, although that is laden with remorse also. I might see it again this weekend as the girlfriend couldn't get a ticket for it when I saw it.

Looking forward to Manchester by the Sea - the director Lonegan's previous film Margaret was one of all time faves

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
La La Land

Quite simply the best film I have seen in the last 5 years. It is an absolute delight from start to finish. As near to perfect a film it is possible to be

A homage to the Hollywood musical greats and a brilliant addition to a forgotten genre

So many memorable scenes and a wonderful score I do not know where to start

Brilliant acting and a great script and story

Oscars will be showered on this film if there is any justice

It is firmly in my top 10 films of all time

I will be amazed if there is a better film than this in 2017

95 out of 100

Totally agree with this. I got totally lost in the film for the two hours I was there and came out afterwards feeling happy and joyful. I'll 100% see it again in the cinema and I'd recommend it to anyone that's a film lover who is willing to go in with an open mind.

Saying that, I totally get why it wouldn't tick the boxes for some people who need more action/less dancing/more fireworks etc.

Interesting also that I see some have compared it to The Artist. For me, this far exceeds what The Artist produced in terms of emotional output and character development, and I'd see La La Land over it everyday of the week. Still, to each their own.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Passengers was just about alright at best. Chris Pratt isn't best used as an emotional actor, which is perfectly fine, but to put him up alongside Jennifer Lawrence has him stand out as not quite up to it. Lawrence's character is rather annoying too. "I'm a writer. I just want to travel the universe and uncover secrets and jot them down." *puketry*
The film is sold as a Sci-fi romance, but it just thrusts some dirty and amoral questions into the arena that clash a tad with it being warm and heartfelt. It could have been told more interestingly, I feel. More darkly.
You know, it was alright. But forgettable. Michael Sheen was quite good.

I thought the space walk towards the end and the subsequent medical scenes spoilt the film for me. Watchable but not great,

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Looking forward to hacksaw ridge like a good war film although may not be great.
Moonlight sounds like an amazing film.
I hate the sound of lala land but the reviews have been so good I will go and see it.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

Probably going to be awful, but I enjoyed watching CHiPs on Sunday afternoon's back in the 1980s.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Looking forward to hacksaw ridge like a good war film although may not be great.
Moonlight sounds like an amazing film.
I hate the sound of lala land but the reviews have been so good I will go and see it.

I'm not the quickest at checking my email, and I missed out on getting a free ticket for a Hacksaw Ridge preview this weekend - well, there's tickets in the front row, but it'll be a big wide screen and seeing such a vast set of images from around a metre away probably isn't the wisest move. Rats. Will wait though.

Moonlight is a good one. Saw that last year and it brewingly thunders along. Really good performances and tone to it. I might see it again when it's out.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Passengers - was good to a point, but a little predictable.

Rogue One - Stars Wars innit. Fab! What else to say?

Assassin's Creed - had loads of action but I didn't have a clue what was going on. Maybe I should have played the game first?

Fantastic Beasts - not a Harry Potter fan, so again, a decent film but I clearly missed some of the HP references.

Arrival - confusing

Nocturnal Animals - quite good until the crap ending

The Accountant - not what I was expecting but enjoyed it.

Dr Strange - corny

Inferno - great - Tom Hanks can do no wrong.

The Girl on the Train - pretty good if a bit pedestrian (see what I did there?)

Jack Reacher - never read the books so I enjoyed it. Tom Cruise, another one who can do no wrong!

Bridget Jones - I was there under sufferance and will never admit that I enjoyed it.

Going to see Live by Night tonight.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hacksaw Ridge next. It looks very very good. Gibson is a very good director. I have high hopes

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Going to see La La Land next week I believe.

Watched 'A Monster Calls' last night. Once I'd gotten over my usual "ugh this kid is annoying" reflex I quite enjoyed it. Quite a harrowing film and honestly the lad has got some acting chops.

Saw this today with Mrs V.... tearfull at times but well done.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Saw La La Land tonight and then back in time to see the stars on Graham Norton. Great film - really enjoyed it. Won't appeal to the action adventure junkies that seem to dominate the cinema going audiences though. Clearly a lavish and expensive film to make and some punt to back a young director/writer on a project that is so against type to the current film trends.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Usually the combination of a musical, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone would be enough for me run screaming into the night. Therefore, I wasn't really looking forward to watching La La Land with Mrs Fantana. Boy was I wrong - what a film. A total breath of fresh air - beautifully written, wonderfully shot, great original score and a whole range of emotions on display. Without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet, it has one of the most poignant and meaningful endings of any film I've watched over the past few years.

Granted it won't appeal to everyone, but I absolutely loved it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here