Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Film 2017

0 Not allowed!
    I took the day off yesterday, for an appointment initially, but also the aim to use the time following to catch a flick. The sadness in me is of hearing of a colleague or friend seeing a film on opening night, and if I half-want to see it, I don't want to hear about it from them. So, on Monday I was told that a workmate was to see Logan on Wednesday eve. I was very tired yesterday, and just wanted to be at home really, but my unquenchable desire to be an early viewer meant me waddling wearily to a Vue, and see it. The annoying thing is, I come to work today, ask the colleague what he thought of it, only for him to tell me he didn't go. Where's the good in competing with someone who just isn't racing at all.

Anywho, Logan was the film. It started quite well, and I enjoyed it being a '15' and gruesome and gritty, but I wasn't hugely connected to it. It didn't feel like a perfect evolution to how things are in 10 years, with Logan's approaching decrepitude. And some bits had the Marvel corniness that they cannot allow not to be in there, it seems. It had a Terminator 2 feel to it at times. Which doesn't make it bad. I just was thinking of whilst they are on the road. Overall, it was ok, but I got a bit bored, and the voice of the girl he's saving, when it finally comes out, is shriekily grating. I also disapprove of Professor X being sweary, and Stephen Merchant being in there. But, as I said, it weren't bad. I think in some ways I think I've had just about enough of Wolverine films. And Jackman as him.
    Milk, milk, lemonade
    Round the corner chocolate's made

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Watching the **** up of the Oscars last night the person I feel the most for is the 79 year old Warren Beatty. He did not make a mistake and was put in a horrible position as was Faye Dunaway. Glorious **** up but in no way their fault. Worst things happen at Sea. Hey ho it is only films after all. Feel sorry for Warren he deserves better than that and he was clearly struggling with it all being given the wrong ****ing envelope
      He could have said "I think I've been given the wrong card", but didn't. Instead he shows the card to Faye (and according to rumours there was an argument about who would get to announce the winner, was he just trying to show her why he was stalling, or was he just putting her on the spot knowing she would embarrass herself?) Yet, in an effort to protect their own, he is being portrayed as a victim and the accountants thrown under a bus. Several people could have done things differently to avoid the embarrassment. But like you say, it's only a film awards show. Definite overreacting all around. I mean the accountants are getting death threat, ffs.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
      Massive c**k up 070516 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Went to see Loving last night at the Connaught Studio in Worthing...i like the revamp...and look forward to the new bar they are looking to put in at the base of the Balcony

0 Not allowed!
      I finally got around the seeing Hidden Figures today. It's a touching, at times comical and always well acted film, albeit one that is very on the nose with the subject matter. I'd highly recommend it though.

I also saw Logan on Friday. Again, I'm sure it'll be devisive, but to someone who is a great lover of all things comic book, it was right up there with The Dark Knight for me. I appreciate some will have Wolverine/Jackman fatigue at this stage, and I must confess I probably felt that going in, but the film was tremendously well acted, vicious, with a solid storyline and the odd bit of wry humour, just to balance things out. Again, I'd highly recommend it, particularly if you like he subject matter. However, if superheroes aren't your thing, then it probably isn't worth your time.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I finally got around the seeing Hidden Figures today. It's a touching, at times comical and always well acted film, albeit one that is very on the nose with the subject matter. I'd highly recommend it though.

I also saw Logan on Friday. Again, I'm sure it'll be devisive, but to someone who is a great lover of all things comic book, it was right up there with The Dark Knight for me. I appreciate some will have Wolverine/Jackman fatigue at this stage, and I must confess I probably felt that going in, but the film was tremendously well acted, vicious, with a solid storyline and the odd bit of wry humour, just to balance things out. Again, I'd highly recommend it, particularly if you like he subject matter. However, if superheroes aren't your thing, then it probably isn't worth your time.
      This re: Logan although I felt that if you weren't so into superheroes, it would still be fine. I think one of the big successes of the film is getting away from the sometimes two-dimensional nature of some superhero films, and really bringing in the human and relationship side of things, without losing the excitement. Great script, great acting, and for me much better than previous Wolverine/X-Men films.

0 Not allowed!
      I went to see Kong: Skull Island last night at the Komedia.

Went into the film expecting it to be total balls but actually rather enjoyed it. Good use of 3D, just cheesy enough and just the right length. Oh and Brie Larson is nice to look at.

Amazed to share the cinema with only about 10 others plus me and the little lady.

Great piece of toffee apple flapjack too. I really enjoy the Komedia experience.
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm

0 Not allowed!
      Viceroy's House. A decent film, better than I thought it would be and a good history lesson, 79 out of 100

This year

La La Land 95
      Lion 89
      Hacksaw Ridge 85
      Viceroy's House 79
      Moonlight 56
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      Beauty & The Beast. 95/100.

Top tip to all blokes after brownie points and/or conjugal enhancement: Take your other half on a "date" to see this film - you will thank me...!

High quality, enjoyable and very roman'ic...
      Boxing Day 1979 (h) W 3-0 B.Horton (pen), P.Ward, G.Ryan Att. 28,358

St. Patrick's Day 2013 (h) W 3-0 L.Ulloa (2), Sp.Dave Att. 28,499

0 Not allowed!
      Kong: Skull Island.

Last week I took myself off to the cinema. I chose Kong, not because I thought it'd be especially good. It it might provide some escapist nonsense and Enough big screen, blockbuster thrills to make up for the weak story.
      It was mind numbingly boring from start to finish save for a slightly animated section when they first arrive on Skull Island.
      It basically rips off Apocolypse Now but with none of the heart of that film.
      A few crappy big monsters and insects make a brief appearance. Good stars like Jackson are wasted. It's all a mess. Then just when you think its starting to pick up....it ends.
      Basically it's a shoddily made teaser for the big Godzilla v Kong film coming out in a couple of years.
      Honestly, don't waste your time with this 3rd rate piece of dogshit.

0.5/10

0 Not allowed!
      Watched Get Out last night. It was superb!