Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2017

Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
    This month I have seen only two movies:

Lego Batman Movie
    As a big fan of comic book movies, and Batman in particular, I loved this. I know I've missed a whole load of jokes. So much going on in every scene made it difficult to catch everything. Doesn't have the same wide appeal as the lego movie, but for Batfans, it was utterly brilliant.

Prevenge
    Really good (though I think the people in front of me enjoyed it more, they were in hysterics almost all the way through). I thought the DJ Dan section was a particular highlight. But the whole film is good. Shifting tone and keeping you on edge. Worth checking out, I'd say.

As for the oscars. Most years I make an effort to at least check out the best picture noms, and as many of the films that have acting noms (usually they are mostly the same). But this year I've struggled to build up the enthusiasm for it. I thought Arrival was good, but felt it would lose a lot of impact on re-watch (until the reveation it felt very much eh to me). I had no sympathy for either main character in la la land and thus wasn't invested in their story at all, and felt the music overpowering the lyrics is a poor show for a musical film. I really enjoyed Hell or High Water, so of the three I'd want that to win, but I know it's most likely La La Land. As Meade says, Hollywood loves itself some hollywood. I think there has been too much of a "is this just being nominated as a response to #oscarowhite?" attitude to a lot of he non-white nominees that they won't just be given the awards to prove oscars aren't racist. Viola Davies has a good chance because the cast of Fences lived with their characters for a lot longer than usual for film because they had a run in theatre perfecting the performances, which gives it more of a foundation for a good performance. I think Maharsala Ali is in with a shout under the position of 'we need to recognise Moonlight because it was a good film, let's give them the supporting actor'.
    Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I saw Lion today. A film that I don't suspect will trouble the Oscars tonight, nor do I expect Patel to walk away with the best supporting actor.

Whilst good, particularly in the first half, the second portion of the film, led by Patel, was a much weaker fare. Whilst the first half was tense, emotional, beautifully shot and unpredictable, the second half dragged the film down immeasurably, sharing none of these characteristics. If anything, it was incredibly predictable.

Unfulfilled potential - 7/10 (mainly for the first half).

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The Oscars 2017

I am predicting a few surprises tomorrow notably Moonlight winning best film over La La Land, not for merit but due to pc reasons after the recent criticism over lack of awards to non whites. This is a fair criticism but this film is not worthy of the accolade as it is frankly imo very overrated. It is a decent story about isolation, identity and sexuality but incredibly slow and tedious. ALL the critics absolutely adore it though, lauding it as the best film for decades and incredibly moving. Kermode was almost out of control with all the praise he heaped on it. The acting was good but I just did not get it, it left me cold. Judging by recent comments a lot of people disagree with me

La La Land is for me 10 x better and the worthy winner but in many ways I feel the best thing for this film now is to win very little at the Oscars, ironically the worst thing that happened for this film is in winning all 7 golden globes and numerous other awards as there has been a sustained and relentless backlash since then from a lot of critics and the public. Before the awards it got pretty much universal love and praise from everyone but in the last few weeks I have lost count of the amount of people who have said and written " it is a load of rubbish " It seems everyone who went to see the film recently was going into the cinema desperate to hate it and pick holes in it. If it wins 11 or 12 Oscars this will be very bad news for this magnificent film

Of the 5 films I have seen nominated Arrival is my second best, it is a beautiful and poignant film for the times encouraging nations to work together to find a solution for a future event that threatens Mankind, that was the gift from the Aliens, Amy Adams should definitely have got a best actress nomination

Third is Lion, a very moving and wonderful film

Fourth is Hacksaw Ridge, another great film

Fifth is Moonlight

So I expect Moonlight to get a surprise win, all the momentum is behind this film, Ladbrokes at 11 to 2 is definitely worth a tenner, La La Land is 1 to 7

Best actress surely has to be Emma Stone

Best actor Casey Affleck

Best supporting actor Ali for Moonlight

Best supporting actress Viola Davis for fences

Best Director Damien Chazelle for La La Land

What are your views and what films have you seen from the shortlist ?

Many thanks
      Spot on.

Wrong Best Picture given best oscar,, oh the Irony
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      The Oscars 2017

I am predicting a few surprises tomorrow notably Moonlight winning best film over La La Land, not for merit but due to pc reasons after the recent criticism over lack of awards to non whites. This is a fair criticism but this film is not worthy of the accolade as it is frankly imo very overrated. It is a decent story about isolation, identity and sexuality but incredibly slow and tedious. ALL the critics absolutely adore it though, lauding it as the best film for decades and incredibly moving. Kermode was almost out of control with all the praise he heaped on it. The acting was good but I just did not get it, it left me cold. Judging by recent comments a lot of people disagree with me
      I'm with you on this, just another rights of passage movie.
      face piles of trials, with smiles
      it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GOM View Post
      I'm with you on this, just another rights of passage movie.
      Moonlight for me is a pc vote, an anti trump vote and a protest vote, nothing more. It is imo the most overrated film to have ever won the Oscar best picture
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      Spot on.

Wrong Best Picture given best oscar,, oh the Irony
      Some very good predicting. Hope you put a smidgen of moolah on it, that would lessen the blow of La La Land not coming out "officially" on top.
      Milk, milk, lemonade
      Round the corner chocolate's made

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Meade's Ball View Post
      Some very good predicting. Hope you put a smidgen of moolah on it, that would lessen the blow of La La Land not coming out "officially" on top.
      I had 15 at 11 to 2 and collected 97.50 today thanks Meade
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      I had 15 at 11 to 2 and collected 97.50 today thanks Meade

Excellent.
      I think you were saying you might see Moonlight again, to see if your mind changes at all. I might do the same, but really I promise myself to see Toni Erdmann again this week as that was a cracker I don't want to miss whilst it feels fresh - and before Jack Nicholson comes out of retirement to star in the remake of, as has been rumoured.
      Milk, milk, lemonade
      Round the corner chocolate's made

0 Not allowed!
      Moonlight for me is a pc vote, an anti trump vote and a protest vote, nothing more. It is imo the most overrated film to have ever won the Oscar best picture
      You've clearly never seen Crash then.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      You've clearly never seen Crash then.
      I have and it was vastly superior to Moonlight
      Spielberg is GOD.