Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2017

1 Not allowed!
    Very very disappointed by Dunkirk. Soulless, poorly told and characters that lacked depth. I wouldn't recommend it unless war films really are your thing.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Smile Like You Mean It Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Very very disappointed by Dunkirk. Soulless, poorly told and characters that lacked depth. I wouldn't recommend it unless war films really are your thing.
      I get where you're coming from. Despite the US Cavalry not coming over the hill and saving the day, it was still clearly corny. Decent film, but nothing more, elevated to quite another level by the superb film score that just kept winding up the tension til you cared far more than you otherwise would. 9/10 for the film score, 6/10 for the rest.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      July's films:

Baby Driver
      I was a little disappointed with this. It was fine, but I wasn't blown away by it as I was expecting from all the positive reviews. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I liked the music more.

Spider-Man Homecoming
      I liked it. It was good to have a more high school-centred story, and a restart to fit in better with the MCU. Not flawless, but a decent couple of hours. A little too much iron man, but I guess that was just an attempt to emphasise that it's in the MCU. I liked all the Captain America bits, too.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - open air screening at Preston Manor
      I'm a fan of the film so it's always fun to watch. It was my first time watching the film with a crowd. Not sure the crowd were entirely up for it in the way they would at a proper cinema (fewer people in costume), but most people still got up and sung, threw rice, water pistols, calling out etc. Fun time.

War for the Planet of the Apes
      Eh. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first of the new series of films, but it was fine.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

1 Not allowed!
      This might mildy amuse regular film goers:

I finally watched the Korean Zombie movie 'Train to Busan' the other week on dvd. Highly reccomended if you like that type of thing (which I do). Apparently the inevitable Yank re-make is in the pipeline so watch this before you have to endure Cruise or similar in the lead role.
      And I don't get along with myself, And I'm not too keen on anyone else

0 Not allowed!
      Watched Detroit this afternoon.

A powerful film, which is not easy watching given the subject matter, which is based on actual events. While I was familiar with the American riots in the late 60s I was not aware of the actual events in the film, which shows racist police beating and killing blacks in a hotel.

Rather like 12 years a slave a very good film, which drains you mentally. Although the events are 50 years ago, the same issues unfortunately still seem to occur in America.

The film also uses actual clips from the wider Detroit riot from the 60s which show the destruction that the city experienced.

Worth seeing

0 Not allowed!
      Just been to see The Big Sick. Loved it, very funny and I do like a romance film too. Well worth a watch if that is your bag.

0 Not allowed!
      The last time I saw a film with an Indian theme was The Viceroy's House. It was dreadful. Shockingly bad.

Today I saw Victoria & Abdul and it was excellent. I've heard some reviews say it is historically inaccurate and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether this is the case.

What I would say is the the lead actors were excellent, most especially and surprisingly Eddie Izzard. Can't stand him as a lefty would be comic, but as "Bertie" the "embarrassing" Prince of Wales he was the stand out performance for me. Surely must be at least nominated as best supporting actor.

Overall 8/10

p.s. two tickets for normal seats at Vue Bicester Sunday afternoon. How much?
      Twenty four pounds! (24) which may explain that there were eight people there.
      I have not forgiven Lewes Council, or DeVeggie, or Archer, or Bellotti, or Stanley, or Bailey, or Whiteside, or Challis, or Saints and Spurs for that 0-0 in 1978.
      I don't get over things and I don't move on easily. OK?
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      Ooh, I've not covered my august films

Dunkirk
      I liked it. I didn't have any trouble with the time lines other than confusing one of the people in the lifeboats with Cillian Murphy (who had been picked up by Mark Rylance) and expecting them all to converge in some twisty way, which never happened. Not my favourite Chris Nolan Movie, but still a good film.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
      An odd beast. Some fantastic visuals, but a bit much going on, and I didn't really like the main characters. Cara's and Rihanna's acting was generally fine for the general 'getting on with things' scenes, but the ones that required actual acting chops were quite painful. Overall, though, I liked it a lot.

Shin Godzilla
      The first time the Japanese film series has been rebooted. It was a fun film, with an interesting take on an evolving godzilla, alongside a funny story of the ridiculous and stifling nature of bureaucratic nonsense in the face of disaster.

Batman and Harley Quinn
      I didn't realise until I watched it that this was a continuation, of sorts, of the old 90s cartoon. There have been a series of almost manga style cartoons based on recent comic stories, and I thought it was another in that series. The art style, the voices for batman and nightwing (the grown up dick grayson) were the same. The attitude was not. This films seemed to think its audience would be the adults who watched the cartoon series as kids, and as such there was more swearing and sex than would otherwise be suspected. Great fun.

Atomic Blonde
      Eh. Not as clever as it thinks it is, would be a decent straight-to-video type movie, but not enough for a proper theatrical release

It
      I saw this earlier in this week. I actually rather enjoyed it. Not as a horror film, it's not even close to scary for me, but as a coming of age film with a thriller edge to it, it was quite fun. The kids are bearable, even mostly likeable, but there is a certain level of discomfort over the almost lascivious way the camera sometimes lingers on a girl who is supposed to be 11 (and must have been around 13/14 when the movie was filmed).
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

2 Not allowed!
      Wind River - Powerful stuff, well worth a watch indeed.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      This might mildy amuse regular film goers:

I finally watched the Korean Zombie movie 'Train to Busan' the other week on dvd. Highly reccomended if you like that type of thing (which I do). Apparently the inevitable Yank re-make is in the pipeline so watch this before you have to endure Cruise or similar in the lead role.
      Me and the Mrs were talking about train to Busan earlier. Neither of us find zombie films even mildly interesting but this film was excellent. We both recommend it.

We saw IT the other day too.
      If you like Stranger Things then I'd recommend this. Definitely not a horror, more like an adventure film with a twist.

The latest transformers is total gash.
      ''At times, Brighton looked so comfortable they could have been settling into an armchair with a nice mug of hot tea and a plate of biscuits.''