Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2017

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Very very disappointed by Dunkirk. Soulless, poorly told and characters that lacked depth. I wouldn't recommend it unless war films really are your thing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very very disappointed by Dunkirk. Soulless, poorly told and characters that lacked depth. I wouldn't recommend it unless war films really are your thing.

I get where you're coming from. Despite the US Cavalry not coming over the hill and saving the day, it was still clearly corny. Decent film, but nothing more, elevated to quite another level by the superb film score that just kept winding up the tension til you cared far more than you otherwise would. 9/10 for the film score, 6/10 for the rest.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
July's films:

Baby Driver
I was a little disappointed with this. It was fine, but I wasn't blown away by it as I was expecting from all the positive reviews. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I liked the music more.

Spider-Man Homecoming
I liked it. It was good to have a more high school-centred story, and a restart to fit in better with the MCU. Not flawless, but a decent couple of hours. A little too much iron man, but I guess that was just an attempt to emphasise that it's in the MCU. I liked all the Captain America bits, too.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - open air screening at Preston Manor
I'm a fan of the film so it's always fun to watch. It was my first time watching the film with a crowd. Not sure the crowd were entirely up for it in the way they would at a proper cinema (fewer people in costume), but most people still got up and sung, threw rice, water pistols, calling out etc. Fun time.

War for the Planet of the Apes
Eh. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first of the new series of films, but it was fine.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
This might mildy amuse regular film goers:

I finally watched the Korean Zombie movie 'Train to Busan' the other week on dvd. Highly reccomended if you like that type of thing (which I do). Apparently the inevitable Yank re-make is in the pipeline so watch this before you have to endure Cruise or similar in the lead role.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Watched Detroit this afternoon.

A powerful film, which is not easy watching given the subject matter, which is based on actual events. While I was familiar with the American riots in the late 60s I was not aware of the actual events in the film, which shows racist police beating and killing blacks in a hotel.

Rather like 12 years a slave a very good film, which drains you mentally. Although the events are 50 years ago, the same issues unfortunately still seem to occur in America.

The film also uses actual clips from the wider Detroit riot from the 60s which show the destruction that the city experienced.

Worth seeing

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just been to see The Big Sick. Loved it, very funny and I do like a romance film too. Well worth a watch if that is your bag.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The last time I saw a film with an Indian theme was The Viceroy's House. It was dreadful. Shockingly bad.

Today I saw Victoria & Abdul and it was excellent. I've heard some reviews say it is historically inaccurate and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether this is the case.

What I would say is the the lead actors were excellent, most especially and surprisingly Eddie Izzard. Can't stand him as a lefty would be comic, but as "Bertie" the "embarrassing" Prince of Wales he was the stand out performance for me. Surely must be at least nominated as best supporting actor.

Overall 8/10

p.s. two tickets for normal seats at Vue Bicester Sunday afternoon. How much?
Twenty four pounds! (24) which may explain that there were eight people there.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ooh, I've not covered my august films

Dunkirk
I liked it. I didn't have any trouble with the time lines other than confusing one of the people in the lifeboats with Cillian Murphy (who had been picked up by Mark Rylance) and expecting them all to converge in some twisty way, which never happened. Not my favourite Chris Nolan Movie, but still a good film.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
An odd beast. Some fantastic visuals, but a bit much going on, and I didn't really like the main characters. Cara's and Rihanna's acting was generally fine for the general 'getting on with things' scenes, but the ones that required actual acting chops were quite painful. Overall, though, I liked it a lot.

Shin Godzilla
The first time the Japanese film series has been rebooted. It was a fun film, with an interesting take on an evolving godzilla, alongside a funny story of the ridiculous and stifling nature of bureaucratic nonsense in the face of disaster.

Batman and Harley Quinn
I didn't realise until I watched it that this was a continuation, of sorts, of the old 90s cartoon. There have been a series of almost manga style cartoons based on recent comic stories, and I thought it was another in that series. The art style, the voices for batman and nightwing (the grown up dick grayson) were the same. The attitude was not. This films seemed to think its audience would be the adults who watched the cartoon series as kids, and as such there was more swearing and sex than would otherwise be suspected. Great fun.

Atomic Blonde
Eh. Not as clever as it thinks it is, would be a decent straight-to-video type movie, but not enough for a proper theatrical release

It
I saw this earlier in this week. I actually rather enjoyed it. Not as a horror film, it's not even close to scary for me, but as a coming of age film with a thriller edge to it, it was quite fun. The kids are bearable, even mostly likeable, but there is a certain level of discomfort over the almost lascivious way the camera sometimes lingers on a girl who is supposed to be 11 (and must have been around 13/14 when the movie was filmed).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
This might mildy amuse regular film goers:

I finally watched the Korean Zombie movie 'Train to Busan' the other week on dvd. Highly reccomended if you like that type of thing (which I do). Apparently the inevitable Yank re-make is in the pipeline so watch this before you have to endure Cruise or similar in the lead role.

Me and the Mrs were talking about train to Busan earlier. Neither of us find zombie films even mildly interesting but this film was excellent. We both recommend it.

We saw IT the other day too.
If you like Stranger Things then I'd recommend this. Definitely not a horror, more like an adventure film with a twist.

The latest transformers is total gash.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Victoria and Abdel. " And the Oscar goes to " Judi Dench. A masterclass in acting. A superb actress at the top of her game. A very good film. 86 out of 100

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Anyone seen Blade Runner 2049? ....I see its three hours long which might lead to a bit of shuffling round the seat :moo:

it's not 3hours long just over 2 and a half. it did need some buttshuffling though. It was quite good, some what not what I thought it would be (a good thing) but slow as anything and I didn't think that helped or was needed. by the music you could tell it was directed by the Sicario chap. Filed under glad I watched it at the cinema not sure I'd recommend for me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Has anyone seen Nocturnal Animals which is doing the rounds on Sky Cinema. Whenever I spend the next day thinking about a film - albeit to a degree because of its ambiguous ending - I nearly always look back on them with an affection.
. I like it when a director (Tom Ford) asks questions of an audience to work some things out themselves.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone seen Blade Runner 2049? ....I see its three hours long which might lead to a bit of shuffling round the seat :moo:

If you're a Blade Runner fan boy, any fears you may harbour that they're going to have buggered up the sequel should be put to one side. There are plenty of nods to the original, but it might just about about stand alone too.

Majestic cinematography, a good, layered plot, posing yet more questions (and answering few from the original), great score. Very slow in places, but I didn't care. Still has the underlying sexist (even misogynistic?) approach to female characters that the original did. Clearly been made by a knowledgable fan of the original.

I loved it, and suspect other fan boys will too. If you're not a fan? Still at least decent, I think, but really hard for me to tell.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Saw 'Blade Runner 2049' yesterday and thought it was magnificent.
Best film I've seen since There Will Be Blood.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just three films to catch up on since my last post:

mother!
I like some of Aronofsky's previous work, but this just didn't work for me. From the moment it started, I knew how it would end, but to get to the end it went through scenes that veered between boring, and weird. Not weird in a "I don't understand what's going on" way, but weird in a "this is not recognisable as sensible behaviour or reaction to events" way. I get the metaphor they were going for, it just didn't work for me.

Blade Runner 2049
I wasn't a big fan of the original. I missed out on it's theatrical release (too young) so came to it when so many other films had paid homage or been inspired by it, so when I finally got around to watching it, it wasn't anything I hadn't seen done with better more modern technology, and it didn't really grip me. So I went into this one with low expectations. I'd seen the three short films released to bridge the gap between the first and this one, but it didn't feel like it really added anything. I had a mild sense of liking 2049. It felt like at 2h40 it was too long, but at the same time it felt like it was paced really well to tell the story it wanted to. Not sure it had the depth it thought it did.

The Death of Stalin
I liked this. It wasn't the 100% slapstick comedy the trailer suggests, and rightfully so given the topic it covers and the history it is covering. But there were a few big laughs, and lots of little ones and it had the sense that it's the sort of film that you'll find more to laugh at the more times you watch it.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Absolutely love Bladerunner, was incredibly indifferent to Bladerunner 2049.

Yes fine there were nods and winks in every frame to the original but some of them were so overplayed and dull it really irked me.

The soundtrack for starters. Yes fine maybe Vangelis' version from the original was so original for a film of this kind that it actually enhanced the endless hopelessness of life in that world and made sense of the incredible imagination to bring forth such strong production qualities in the film making yet this version was pointlessly bordering verbosely entrenched in bass lines when it didn't need to be it basically got in the way of the cinematography.

And where was the hardnosed aloof Deckard? Ford basically played this version like a cross between Indiana Jones and Han Solo.

Sure, Gosling is excellent as K as was his ephemeral ethereal virtual girlfriend as he/they explored the issues around VR, souls and what it means to be alive.

The whole thing felt in many respects like a between levels plot clip from Metal Gear Solid or some other immersive video game.

Such a shame. Promised so much yet delivered something very average for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here