Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2017

0 Not allowed!
    I saw the Star Wars, Rogue thingamajig about 10 days ago. I was staying in a hotel in London, a day before I had a flat to move into, and I thought I ought to kill some time seeing something. I'd read also on here how it's a cracker. It was alright, for me. I am not a Star Wars follower, greatly, so planets and names linking it all together don't really instill me with wonder. Still, it was enjoyable enough. Some of the acting was pretty shocking, and I didn't like to see Peter Cushing brought back to life like that. But it was all action and that has to be enough at times.

Silence - my god what a shocker. Saw it last week, with a sense of intrigue over it being a new Scorsese and the subject matter. But 32 Jesuses wept, it was an agonizing two and bit hours, for all the wrong reasons. A combination of dreadful acting, unsubtle dialogue that was simply hurting my insides, and kung fu villainy from the Japanese. Liam Neeson is the new Sean Connery in this, as he plays a Portuguese religious man with a thick American Irish accent. The others at least pretend to be Portuguese, badly. I didn't enjoy it at all. Not often even visually. Bobbins.

Passengers was just about alright at best. Chris Pratt isn't best used as an emotional actor, which is perfectly fine, but to put him up alongside Jennifer Lawrence has him stand out as not quite up to it. Lawrence's character is rather annoying too. "I'm a writer. I just want to travel the universe and uncover secrets and jot them down." *puketry*
    The film is sold as a Sci-fi romance, but it just thrusts some dirty and amoral questions into the arena that clash a tad with it being warm and heartfelt. It could have been told more interestingly, I feel. More darkly.
    You know, it was alright. But forgettable. Michael Sheen was quite good.
    Milk, milk, lemonade
    Round the corner chocolate's made

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      For me it is far better than the Artist but I am pleased you enjoyed it. That is high praise indeed and probably the first time we have both enjoyed the same film

Aye, that's good indeed. A happy new film year to you.
      Saw it at the festival last year La La Land. The year before, though, was the director's previous flick, Whiplash, which I thought was better. The music, for the most part, was simply great in both films.
      Milk, milk, lemonade
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Dunkirk looks like being a great summer movie, if I can get over the fact that Harry Styles is in it.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      If the self-obsessed, shallow and tedious little critics love it - then it's probably sh&t.

1 Not allowed!
      Another one here looking forward to TS2. I've even taken the day off to see it in the daytime with the wife.

I like the look of "Manchester by the Sea", somewhat overshadowed by "La La Land", but certainly far more up my street (I don't really do musicals with the odd exception, but do like a gritty drama). Has anyone seen that yet?
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by essbee View Post
      If the self-obsessed, shallow and tedious little critics love it - then it's probably sh&t.
      I tend to find the imdb general concensus mark to be a pretty accurate guide as to how good a film is like. With often tens of thousands of votes it reaches a true reflection generally
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      Another one here looking forward to TS2. I've even taken the day off to see it in the daytime with the wife.

I like the look of "Manchester by the Sea", somewhat overshadowed by "La La Land", but certainly far more up my street (I don't really do musicals with the odd exception, but do like a gritty drama). Has anyone seen that yet?
      Yeah I saw that at the festival too. Tis a definite good one. Sombre, but has a certain warmth to it and bubbles with feeling. Different to La La Land, of course, although that is laden with remorse also. I might see it again this weekend as the girlfriend couldn't get a ticket for it when I saw it.
      Milk, milk, lemonade

0 Not allowed!
      Going to see La La Land next week I believe.

Watched 'A Monster Calls' last night. Once I'd gotten over my usual "ugh this kid is annoying" reflex I quite enjoyed it. Quite a harrowing film and honestly the lad has got some acting chops.
      Members
      Trapped inside the Project for the New American Century

0 Not allowed!
      Looking forward to Manchester by the Sea - the director Lonegan's previous film Margaret was one of all time faves
      "I have been in professional football since I was 16 - that's 33 years this summer. I have seen and done it all. In Brighton, I thought that I had found a club that sat outside the norm. People who love their club but are realistic about their club's prospects in dire circumstances. That appealed to me. That is what I call true loyalty. Supporting the club as you have done through the hard times. I am prepared to be here through these hard times and to develop a squad as I have started to do in preparation for the day that we all move to a new stadium at Falmer. I need your support, patience and understanding in the long-term because there is no quick fix. I hope you will continue to give me that opportunity." Mark McGhee, 17th April 2006

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
      La La Land

Quite simply the best film I have seen in the last 5 years. It is an absolute delight from start to finish. As near to perfect a film it is possible to be

A homage to the Hollywood musical greats and a brilliant addition to a forgotten genre

So many memorable scenes and a wonderful score I do not know where to start

Brilliant acting and a great script and story

Oscars will be showered on this film if there is any justice

It is firmly in my top 10 films of all time

I will be amazed if there is a better film than this in 2017

95 out of 100
      Totally agree with this. I got totally lost in the film for the two hours I was there and came out afterwards feeling happy and joyful. I'll 100% see it again in the cinema and I'd recommend it to anyone that's a film lover who is willing to go in with an open mind.

Saying that, I totally get why it wouldn't tick the boxes for some people who need more action/less dancing/more fireworks etc.

Interesting also that I see some have compared it to The Artist. For me, this far exceeds what The Artist produced in terms of emotional output and character development, and I'd see La La Land over it everyday of the week. Still, to each their own.