Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Chapman, from the south

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember Chappers having a future Albion legend in his pocket on the night of 'Goldstone to Golden Balls'.

An absolute masterclass in positional dominance.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I know that's true 100%, because he said it to me! We were in a club after REMF 1 (which I incidentally scored twice in) and he bought me and a couple of the other players a drink for beating Palace, before telling us that very line.

Thanks for the confirmation, one of my favourite stories about any Brighton player. Legend IMO.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I know that's true 100%, because he said it to me! We were in a club after REMF 1 (which I incidentally scored twice in) and he bought me and a couple of the other players a drink for beating Palace, before telling us that very line.

I heard he prefaced that quote by saying "I'm a Brighton boy from Whitehawk and....etc..." The man is an absolute LEGEND.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Indeed he did. Loves the Albion, hates Palace

Thanks for your input to this thread - it's nice to get some first-hand confirmation of the quote as I've used it countless times to illustrate both IC's pride in his roots and what it means to support the Albion. My Albion-supporting daughter (now 21) has heard it so often she can quote it verbatim !

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
For the reasons given here, my favourite Albion player of all time. Vicente may have been the best player, Calde hugely admired, Zamora/Ward the best goalscorers, etc etc, but Chappers was possibly the only Brighton player in my lifetime who's felt the same way the fans do. I don't expect players to feel like the fans do - it's their living, not necessarily their passion - but for him, there was both.

Stumpy Tim

Thanks for your input to this thread - it's nice to get some first-hand confirmation of the quote as I've used it countless times to illustrate both IC's pride in his roots and what it means to support the Albion. My Albion-supporting daughter (now 21) has heard it so often she can quote it verbatim !

Glad that conversation has gone into Albion folklore!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did Tilley take that accolade when he came for 30 seconds at Boro?

Maybe.

Edit after quick google...

No. JFC 'much' younger.

JFC born 25.04.94, debut (H v Yeovil) 08.05.10, was just 16 years and 14 days old.

Tilley born 13.06.98, debut (A v Boro) 24.05.15. was 16 years and 345 days old. By coincidence, when he came on that day, it was in place of Forster-Caskey.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Think he was 28.

Will never forget his thunderbolt in the 3-3 v Bournemouth at home.

The northstand cried shoot in unison, he did, and it flew in to the top corner.

He had a weird habit of scoring absolute belters against Bournemouth. But that one was the best.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Wish there was some footage of this somewhere.

He scored a goal at Dean Court once where he lobbed the keeper from miles out with a Beckham/Sidwell style goal. I hope that exists somewhere. I also have a feeling he took a touch to the control the ball before hitting a half volley stunner on the turn against them. And then obviously his belter that you mention in the North Stand. Seriously amazing goals, and weird that he always produced them against Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here