Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Chapman, from the south

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
A very popular player for us until he was released in 1996. For those of you who remember him, how old do you think he was when he left the Albion? No googling! I was very surprised to learn the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A very popular player for us until he was released in 1996. For those of you who remember him, how old do you think he was when he left the Albion? No googling! I was very surprised to learn the answer!

I seem to recall him being a teenager when he made his debut, just 17 I think, and guessing that that would have been about 86, I would guess about 27?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I seem to recall him being a teenager when he made his debut, just 17 I think, and guessing that that would have been about 86, I would guess about 27?

Couldn't wait for a response, and googled it now. My memory is not so bad.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast

I'd go along with that although I thought he was 16 when he made his debut?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He made us debut at St Andrews aged 16 something, I didn't go but remember Tony Millard bleeting on about his age on the radio. We lost 2-0 I think.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He made us debut at St Andrews aged 16 something, I didn't go but remember Tony Millard bleeting on about his age on the radio. We lost 2-0 I think.

Seeing as Chapman had just become Albion's yougest-ever debutant in the Football League, I should think he would have every right, and indeed would be expected to, bleet [sic] on about his age.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Chappers didn't have a very happy day yesterday.
Hillians lost 0-6 at home

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
D

Deleted User X18H

16 years 257 days I believe.

I'll ask and come back later.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chappers will probably be repeating his public apology again this week after another abject BHTFC performance yesterday...............................

JBD

Jul 12, 2009
Zone Q
First player from the English School of Excellence to make his league debut. Think his first touch was to clear off the line.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Great player for us. Always committed.

Unfortunately the one footballing moment from him which I remember most was his calamitous own goal in the 2-2 draw with Leeds in 88/89 in the North Stand goal. It was one of those slow motion moments when he knew what to do, but he somehow couldn't stop himself bundling the ball across the line into our own net.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I remember his diving header own goal at the Goldstone. Absolute gem, but unfortunately in the wrong net.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Great player for us. Always committed.

One of my favourite ever Albion players. Solid and committed with more than a dash of talent.

Ridiculous decision to let him go during the Bellotti area. If I remember rightly, he was then voted player of the season partly as a feck-you to the owners (and partly because there weren't too many other options in those dark days).

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
So only 26 years old. I thought he was much older than that! That was practically the end of his playing career as a professional. It also says on Wikipedia that we gave him a trial in 1999. Didn't know that! One of my favourite players in the early to mid 90's.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
When he was released and signed for Gillingham? I was told he had the option to sign for Palace but turned them down saying "I have to look myself in the face when I shave in the morning".

Anyone know if this is true? Or just one of those stories that gets built up each time it's told.

Either way, should never have been released, poty that season iirc.

Stumpy Tim

When he was released and signed for Gillingham? I was told he had the option to sign for Palace but turned them down saying "I have to look myself in the face when I shave in the morning".

Anyone know if this is true? Or just one of those stories that gets built up each time it's told.

Either way, should never have been released, poty that season iirc.
I know that's true 100%, because he said it to me! We were in a club after REMF 1 (which I incidentally scored twice in) and he bought me and a couple of the other players a drink for beating Palace, before telling us that very line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here