Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mk dons fans

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
FFS

Always makes me laugh when we get slated by clubs like Brighton and most of the hypocritical fans on their forum A few seasons ago they were averaging 5 to 6000 at the Withdean. Certainly very rarely sold out. Can't believe the 25000 or so Brighton fans that now go to the AMEX most weeks can be life long supporters of the club. Seems to me that most of them are just like us to a certain degree (nice new shiny stadium put on their doorstep). Probably all ex Chelsea, Man U fans which is what they like to attack us for.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
FFS

Always makes me laugh when we get slated by clubs like Brighton and most of the hypocritical fans on their forum A few seasons ago they were averaging 5 to 6000 at the Withdean. Certainly very rarely sold out. Can't believe the 25000 or so Brighton fans that now go to the AMEX most weeks can be life long supporters of the club. Seems to me that most of them are just like us to a certain degree (nice new shiny stadium put on their doorstep). Probably all ex Chelsea, Man U fans which is what they like to attack us for.
Not even worth bothering with that level of ignorance given our history.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

:lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I remember, a good few years back, speaking to a couple of Wimbledon fans in the Burrell, Haywards Heath, who said that they were moving their support with the club to MK.

I didn't really have an answer for that. It was a short conversation.

Did you follow the Albion to Priestfield then? We were only there for two seasons but when we first went there were no guarantees, as far as remember that we would be back that soon?

With regard to the franchise issue, I'm still not sure what Wimbledon should have done. They were a failing business model, hadn't played in their own borough for several years and were thrown a lifeline by moving to Milton Keynes. What were they supposed to do? Say no thank you, we'll move but please put us in the lowest division possible, or just let the club go bankrupt? If anyone wants to bear a grudge then surely it should be against the FA and the powers that be.

As for others saying they should drop the name Dons and that will sort, who are you trying to kid. A lot on here will never let it drop because I would suggest it makes them feel like superior supporters!!!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
FFS

But when we moved to our shiny new stadium we got double what they could manage, possibly nearly triple if the stadium capacity was what it is now..

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did you follow the Albion to Priestfield then? We were only there for two seasons but when we first went there were no guarantees, as far as remember that we would be back that soon?

With regard to the franchise issue, I'm still not sure what Wimbledon should have done. They were a failing business model, hadn't played in their own borough for several years and were thrown a lifeline by moving to Milton Keynes. What were they supposed to do? Say no thank you, we'll move but please put us in the lowest division possible, or just let the club go bankrupt? If anyone wants to bear a grudge then surely it should be against the FA and the powers that be.

As for others saying they should drop the name Dons and that will sort, who are you trying to kid. A lot on here will never let it drop because I would suggest it makes them feel like superior supporters!!!

I hope you are not comparing the Albion moving to Gillingham with MK Dons ?

Wimbledon should have gone bankrupt and started again.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But when we moved to our shiny new stadium we got double what they could manage, possibly nearly triple if the stadium capacity was what it is now..

I think there's a hell of alot more wrong with that little snippet than this particular point. The fact we actually had a historical and traditional football club before the stadium, able to pull similar numbers in days gone by, would be a good start.

I'm sure someone can be bothered to set it straight. Not for me, one of the only clubs not worth explaining it to considering the ignorance.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Do i see any connection with the club that beat Liverpool in 1988's FA Cup Final and MK Dons? None what so ever.......i am pleased Milton Keynes has a team if i am honest,but the soul of that original Wimbledon Club does not reside at Milton Keynes....

I also find it a little unfair to call Milton Keynes soul less and a franchise although fact is that's how they started,they are building history,but all that history is there own and not that of the team that used to be in London..

For comparison could the San Francisco Giants Baseball team be classed as the New York Giants they used to be before 1957's move from coast to coast?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Giants

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm sure someone can be bothered to set it straight.

Brighton
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bha.htm

Milton Keynes Dons
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/mkd.htm

Afc Wimbledon
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/wimb.htm

Brighton have had individual (not averages as shown) 30,000 plus gates from 1932 to 1979 and from 2013

Look at our average gates at Gillingham....pretty good in the circumstances.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

When the FA granted permission for us to ground share with Gillingham, it was granted with a time limit attached. We were allowed to move on the proviso that we would return within a set number of years. The capitulation to franchising came a few years later.

Wimbledon were fairly shoddily treated by Merton borough council, but Winkleman's motivation was not to throw a lifeline to Wimbledon, he was out to steal a football club from it's community for the benefit of his own development plans. His consortium had approached a number of other clubs before he picked off Wimbledon: He tried Luton and QPR. He even wanted Palace. A fate I can't bring myself to wish on even their fans.

People won't let it drop because it was wrong. It doesn't get less wrong the longer ago it was. This seems evidenced by the FA making sure that it has never happened again. I seem to remember that they subsequently changed their rules. When we were looking for a permanent home FA rules required that our site was within a set distance from Brighton & Hove.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When the FA granted permission for us to ground share with Gillingham, it was granted with a time limit attached. We were allowed to move on the proviso that we would return within a set number of years. The capitulation to franchising came a few years later.

Wimbledon were fairly shoddily treated by Merton borough council, but Winkleman's motivation was not to throw a lifeline to Wimbledon, he was out to steal a football club from it's community for the benefit of his own development plans. His consortium had approached a number of other clubs before he picked off Wimbledon: He tried Luton and QPR. He even wanted Palace. A fate I can't bring myself to wish on even their fans.

People won't let it drop because it was wrong. It doesn't get less wrong the longer ago it was. This seems evidenced by the FA making sure that it has never happened again. I seem to remember that they subsequently changed their rules. When we were looking for a permanent home FA rules required that our site was within a set distance from Brighton & Hove.

But if the move to Withdean hadn't worked out then we would have been stuck there for maybe longer than the time limit imposed so new terms would have been negotiated. We got no help from Crawley but our advantage was that we weren't being shafted by our local authority.

As for all this willy waving about crowd sizes, Wimbledon never got big crowds so of course that isn't a fair comparison between them and us. I'll say it again, I believe any grudge people have should be directed at the FA (even though the rules have now been changed so it's a bit pointless).

As for Winkelman, don't really know the guy but maybe had Merton facilitated the return of the club then maybe a shitty area of Wimbledon might have seen the development that now surrounds stadium MK. I'm not going to lose any sleep over him or MK Dons.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Part of the joy of supporting football (IMO) is winding up opposition fans so MK Dong fans have succeeded. People should have just ignored them.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I HUGELY dislike the club but I can't really dislike the fans.

If I was in a town with no club and one suddenly turned up and was my local one, I'd probably go.

Jan 30, 2008
I walked past Spoons in West Street after the game on the way to the cinema with my 17 yr old and saw what was probably the same 'firm' as you describe. Dear oh dear, they were pitiful. They looked so tragic that I reckon my son could have held his own against them and he's 5'9'', about 9 stone and your typical middle-class 'never had a fight in his life' glasses-wearing teenager!
DRINKING IN WEATHER SPOONS on west street, need a bit more imagination :shrug:
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here