Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Abandoned Car

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Surely you would know if your own car was insured, why would you need a website to check that ???

I've used it to check that my renewal has gone through, so I can apply for the road tax online.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
Re post #40. I don't think it could be classed as theft. The definition of theft, as I understand it, is to deprive the owner permanently of his/her property. No such intention here. Push it round the corner

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
We used to do this at the Black Lion in Patcham- old bill wouldn't move them so we did... always went quickly when A23 became a bit backed up..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quite astonishing update for you

So I spoke to the police last night following confirmation it was uninsured and without MOT, reporting as a crime.

Anyway I get a call from a PCSO several hours later - he's been out to check the vehicle.....
He feels it's secure enough despite the missing rear window, but the amazing thing is apparently he said it doesn't need to be insured as my road and the surrounding ones are not a public highway.

After I asked can I therefore drive a car around without it being insured or taxed and HE SAID YES.

Unbelievable - the guy was adement.

Not sure what to do from here but this is just crazy isn't it?! Never heard of that in my life

The guy is talking complete bollocks. Is your road a private one? Even if it is, from an insurance perspective, it is still counted as the public highway, as is supermarket car parks, leisure centre car parks and in fact any area where you have reasonable, unhindered access.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Quite astonishing update for you

So I spoke to the police last night following confirmation it was uninsured and without MOT, reporting as a crime.

Anyway I get a call from a PCSO several hours later - he's been out to check the vehicle.....
He feels it's secure enough despite the missing rear window, but the amazing thing is apparently he said it doesn't need to be insured as my road and the surrounding ones are not a public highway.

After I asked can I therefore drive a car around without it being insured or taxed and HE SAID YES.

Unbelievable - the guy was adement.

Not sure what to do from here but this is just crazy isn't it?! Never heard of that in my life

You're not reporting a crime at all, you're reporting an abandoned car and potentially some motoring offences. Notwithstanding, the advice from the PCSO is not correct.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
The guy is talking complete bollocks. Is your road a private one? Even if it is, from an insurance perspective, it is still counted as the public highway, as is supermarket car parks, leisure centre car parks and in fact any area where you have reasonable, unhindered access.

That's what I think. 100% not a private road

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can you not find out who the registered keeper is? Must be someone in your close - try door-to-door until someone fesses up.
Then have a conversation about it with the owner - if the convo doesn't go to your liking, go vigilante as others have suggested.

I live in a close where some of it is public highway and some is private drive. If the vehicle is on private land, it's up to the land owners to take action - assuming shared drive scenario, again, discuss with neighbours [fellow shared land owners] and see if a consensus for action can be agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here