Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
It's self congratulatory tokenism.

Yes. Absolutely this.

An extension of this is football fans giving each other dog's abuse on Twitter and then suddenly starting Twitter campaigns to get Bradley Lowery's penalty voted as the BBC goal of the month. I genuinely feel for Bradley and his awful illness but I think a great deal of his coverage is little to do with his plight and more to do with football fans' desire for oneupmanship on every single scale.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At Watford yesterday they had Graham Taylor photos on big screens, the held up cards left on the seats that made a big Graham Taylor images, they had a huge Graham Taylor flag that was passed across the crowd and they ran a Graham Taylor message around the pitch-side advertising hoardings during the pre-match minutes applause, during which the crowd chanted, "there's only one Graham Taylor."

If that wasn't enough, the crowd then broke into applause on the 72nd minute. (Which, to me, always seems a bit more like a patronising piss-take than a tribute).

Way too much grief tourism and a 'need' to show how much you care so far as I am concerned.

I reckon if Graham Taylor could have expressed his wishes on how he would like to have been commemorated at the first match following his death, he would have said, "Shake hands with the opposing skipper, shake hands with the Ref and win the bloody game."

It's all got way out of hand.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At Watford yesterday they had Graham Taylor photos on big screens, the held up cards left on the seats that made a big Graham Taylor images, they had a huge Graham Taylor flag that was passed across the crowd and they ran a Graham Taylor message around the pitch-side advertising hoardings during the pre-match minutes applause, during which the crowd chanted, "there's only one Graham Taylor."

If that wasn't enough, the crowd then broke into applause on the 72nd minute. (Which always seems a bit more like a piss-take than a tribute, to me).

Way too much grief tourism and a 'need' to show how much you care so far as I am concerned.

I reckon if Graham Taylor could have expressed his wishes on how he would like to have been commemorated at the first match following his death, he would have said, "Shake hands with the opposing skipper, shake hands with the Ref and win the bloody game."

It's all got way out of hand.

How long before a club exploits this and charges a family to 'book' the 85th minute for a minute's applause for dear old Grandad ? Picture on the big screen, 'Alfie Smith, 1932-2017'.......yours for £500. 'It's what he would've wanted..........' etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember there was a fad for retiring shirts a few years ago. Are the shirts still retired or have they made a quiet comeback?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember readings official coffin? Chelsea also I think did/do them..."but customers are free to choose what they want and we are meeting a growing demand blah blah fecking blah..." NO! It's shameless filthy blooding sucking greed and clubs ought to be ashamed of. Get on with football, that's all you bloody are. Not the grief police or anything else to do with life or death. Sick nonsense, this 'sport' has got way out of hand. Years ago.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This is very tricky. If there's a spectrum on public emoting, with the Princess Diana stuff at one end and the stereotypical British 'stiff upper lip' at the other, my instincts are towards the latter; I think we've travelled a bit too far. On the specific issue of Graham Taylor I understand (from listening to the BBC Radio 5 guys who knew him) that he was something of a traditionalist and would not have wanted the one minute applause thing himself, but might have liked (who really knows?) a minute's silence. Not sure where this leaves us, but as soon as you do it for one 'category' of the departed (managers, players, fans) the precedent is created.
I suspect that the companies who make replica football shirts will soon be bringing out black armband editions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes. Absolutely this.

An extension of this is football fans giving each other dog's abuse on Twitter and then suddenly starting Twitter campaigns to get Bradley Lowery's penalty voted as the BBC goal of the month. I genuinely feel for Bradley and his awful illness but I think a great deal of his coverage is little to do with his plight and more to do with football fans' desire for oneupmanship on every single scale.

Yes, and how typical that Everton highjacked it by giving Bradley Lowery another day out at their club. They couldn't possibly find another more local poor child to rally round, just in case that doesn't come with a media circus could they?

Typical fking scousers if you ask me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here