Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
you are so right, I'm not going to join in anymore!

Having read this thread and realising that I'm not alone I've decided that I'm done with it. Unless I know the deceased personally or unless they're someone who has had an effect on my life I'm not going to join in any more. Enough already. And no that doesn't make me a person who "doesn't care about the suffering of others".

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Having read this thread and realising that I'm not alone I've decided that I'm done with it. Unless I know the deceased personally or unless they're someone who has had an effect on my life I'm not going to join in any more. Enough already. And no that doesn't make me a person who "doesn't care about the suffering of others".

This

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm the same about a minute silence. Unless it's remembrance Sunday or other historically important event (can't think of any - fill me in) then I hate them as it devalues the ones that really matter

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have been thinking about this recently and agree with most of the sentiments on here. A tragedy like the Shoreham airshow crash is the right time for such things but otherwise it seems to be an annual tribute to any fans that have passed away during the year would be enough. As I believe Villa did recently. My father is sadly terminally ill and could die very soon. He has supported the Albion all his life, but I don't believe he would deserve special treatment because otherwise you'd have this at every single game. it's a sad fact that in a crowd of 30,000 there will be a good proportion of people that are in their later stages of life who won't make it to next season. They will be remembered and commemorated by their families and friends at their funeral, just because they are an Albion fan does not mean we should do it at the games. However a one off commemorating those that have passed away during the year seems to make a lot of sense. Perhaps it should be at the first game after Christmas when people tend to think of their families anyway? I guess that's why Villa did it at the end of the year.

To not adopt this approach edges towards who deserves it more than someone else. if one of the big Falmer for All people died as Sarah Watts did do they deserve it more than a fan who dies younger than they should of done? Good arguments for both, but sadly we can't do it every game so put it all into one game, one place.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think this tribute business has become more widespread since the "minute's applause" thing surfaced. A minute's silence was always so formal, it wasn't appropriate in many cases. Though even that was starting to become a bit OTT. I've said it before, but the traditional silence used to be held- appropriately- for:

- Armistice Day
- deaths of nationally significant figures (e.g. the Queen Mother, whatever your opinion on her, Prime Ministers etc)
- deaths of ex Albion players, staff or well known supporters
- deaths of other persons of local or regional significance

The one that did rather grind my gears at the time was when they held a silence in memory of Ken Bigley when we played at Withdean. A bloke from Liverpool who was held hostage and killed somewhere in the Middle East (I think). It was terribly sad for his family and friends, sure. I'd no idea at the time whether he was a football fan, but even if not, it might not have been unreasonable for one or both of his main local clubs to have paid tribute perhaps. But a football club in Sussex, playing a fellow fourth tier side in a League game? At all league games that weekend, in fact? That was just bizarre.

The problem the Albion have now is, where do they stop? People are always going to die, and they've paid remarkable respects to so many now, I'm not sure what happens when they say no to somebody's grieving family.

I agree with all of this other than the "well known fan". Its too judgemental, and whilst they may be well known to many, are they more important than any other fan? Yes we could all name those that stood tall and thought the cause for the Albion and Falmer and yes they probably deserve something but the line has to be drawn somewhere and I really feel the only way is black and white. Include them in the end of year or end of season tribute. And for this I would have a minutes silence prior to the game, not the clapping either before or during the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with all of this other than the "well known fan". Its too judgemental, and whilst they may be well known to many, are they more important than any other fan? Yes we could all name those that stood tall and thought the cause for the Albion and Falmer and yes they probably deserve something but the line has to be drawn somewhere and I really feel the only way is black and white. Include them in the end of year or end of season tribute. And for this I would have a minutes silence prior to the game, not the clapping either before or during the game.

Agree re fans - impossible to define. As regards a minute's silence before the game, it doesn't really work due to concourse noise - I completely get (and enjoy) a good concourse sing-sing pre-match, but hearing it during, for example, the Remembrance Day minute's silence is awful.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Now, whilst disliking him as England manager I did warm to Graham Taylor for his punditry and affability in his later years, but quite why Preston and Brighton fans had to give a minutes applause is completely INANE

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now, whilst disliking him as England manager I did warm to Graham Taylor for his punditry and affability in his later years, but quite why Preston and Brighton fans had to give a minutes applause is completely INANE

Interesting. Given he managed England I feel he's someone who should be given a minutes applause

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Interesting. Given he managed England I feel he's someone who should be given a minutes applause

I thought the tributes at Watford and the Wolves v Villa game were great, and all the more touching because they were sincere.
There's no need to pick over the bones of his England career but it was over twenty years ago and doesn't stand as a great legacy

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's self congratulatory tokenism.

All part of the nonsense of modern football, and the gentrification of the game. It's similar to the nonsense we see of players shaking hands before the match, tapping the ball to the opposing keeper when there is a dropped ball, and the effective abolition of the shoulder charge.

Graham Taylor was a very good club manager, by all accounts a thoroughly nice bloke too. But yesterday my focus was on the Albion, and the minute's applause (silence is clearly deemed too risky in case some people don't obey the thought police and make a bit of noise) at Deepdale was insincere twaddle.

I fully understand it happening at matches relating to clubs where he previously managed, and by all accounts it was genuinely emotional at Vicarage Road, but see no need for it at other grounds.

I therefore spent the minute yesterday eating chips whilst others applauded.............but in Graham Taylor's memory of course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought the tributes at Watford and the Wolves v Villa game were great, and all the more touching because they were sincere.
There's no need to pick over the bones of his England career but it was over twenty years ago and doesn't stand as a great legacy

Irrespective of how he performed he did lead the nation at football. I feel this deserves recognition. Let's agree to disagree.

theboybilly

So do I but I can afford to spare a minute for thought on 2 occasions per season as I am sure many would remembering their friends and family who they may have attended matches with. I would rather that than as exists now when we all stand up in the 65th minute and applause because that is how old the person was or 28th cos that is the date they died.

Then remember them in your own way in your own time. It's a personal thing...I haven't got a clue who most of these people are or whether they were really worthy of such commemoration. I remember the first time I attended such a silence and that was after many, many years of attending football matches. It was for Dunblane, an event so horrid that it shook the country to the core. If we have to do these commemorations please can you do it before kick off and I will stay on the concourse and do my own thing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Irrespective of how he performed he did lead the nation at football. I feel this deserves recognition. Let's agree to disagree.

This is where I feel uneasy, as on that basis, we should have to give a minute's applause for Sam Allardyce, as he also was England manager, and Peter Taylor, and Howard Wilkinson etc. when they pass away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is where I feel uneasy, as on that basis, we should have to give a minute's applause for Sam Allardyce, as he also was England manager, and Peter Taylor, and Howard Wilkinson etc. when they pass away.

Taylor and Wilkinson were only caretakers so I think we can easily and safely ignore them. And I can come up with a variety of reasons to overlook Allardyce. I think we're okay.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't remember a minutes silence or applause for Bobby Robson who certainly achieved more. When did this all start? If it continues at this rate we will all be laying flowers for Gareth Southgates goldfish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here