Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

Would you like to see safe standing at the Amex?

• No thanks

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Yes, but only in a small section

Votes: 42 24.7%
  • Let's go for it and convert the entire North Stand

Votes: 88 51.8%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not fussed either way. It won't affect me, as I'm not going to give up my seat in the WSU for "safe standing", because its gubbins.

Now, if they brought back terracing, I'd be all over that like stink on shit.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Is standing at all-seater grounds safe?

Or is it preferable to have areas where standing can be done safely?

It's all arse about face really. It's impossible to MAKE away fans sit down - that's where safe standing should start. Consequently, that will make the more vociferous home support want/demand to stand as well.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
we already have safe standing if only the legislation allowed, we can simply stand in front of our allocated seat. i dont understand why the approach isnt to allow a change to the law so that areas can be designated "standing" seats, so that those that wish to stand through the match are permitted to do so and surrounded by like minded people. making a fuss over a specific area without seats seems to be making the matter unnecessarily complicated. (unless i've missed something, quite likly)

Yes, you have missed the main difference between normal seats and safe standing. The seats we, and all UK grounds have are NOT SAFE for standing because the backs of the seats in front are too low (trip/fall hazard). The SS system allows for higher rails which act as a safety barrier. All you need to know here -
http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/safe-standing-facts/

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Not fussed either way. It won't affect me, as I'm not going to give up my seat in the WSU for "safe standing", because its gubbins.

Now, if they brought back terracing, I'd be all over that like stink on shit.

More chance of taking a dump in the Queens handbag i'm afraid. :shit::shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What and see if we go up, think its hard to ask Uncle Tone to stump up more cash right now for this

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
What and see if we go up, think its hard to ask Uncle Tone to stump up more cash right now for this

Could be avoided if we opted for the 1 and a half person per seat/space system that is successfully used in some European grounds? Could raise well in access of 400k per season - every season.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I have just seen this on another site, but cant verify its accuracy "safe standing areas with rail seats can hold up to “80% more supporters than a seated area of similar size.” And that means that ticket prices are usually cheaper in standing areas."

Does that have any bearing on peoples opinion?

Even if the club chose not to reduce ticket prices, allowing them to cover the cost of conversion, the increase in supporters, all standing, would have a benefit to atmosphere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
More chance of taking a dump in the Queens handbag i'm afraid. :shit::shrug:

Which is a total nonsense, as there is absolutely nothing unsafe about terraces whatsoever. Hundreds of thousands of people stand on terraces every season in the lower leagues without incident, and yet in the upper echelons, with the modern, well equipped stadiums we have in this day and age, they're not even on the agenda.

Pathetic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, you have missed the main difference between normal seats and safe standing. The seats we, and all UK grounds have are NOT SAFE for standing because the backs of the seats in front are too low (trip/fall hazard). The SS system allows for higher rails which act as a safety barrier. All you need to know here -
http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/safe-standing-facts/

thanks. i think the confusion comes from a perception that "safe standing" means return to terracing, removal of seats, as can be seen from some of the survey's refered to on that page. then "they" start talking about reducing capacity to make this area safe, so it costs more (because fewer punters) etc, etc. what would be cost of putting in pictured barriers for a few blocks for say 10% ground? cant be more than £100k, and worth it for increase atmosphere.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Seems logical that those that want to stand should have an area to do so safely. If this is 1000 people (for example) provide 500 seats as a trial and see how it goes. The legislation will change I believe. I agree that this is not the same as old terraces but I think it's better for atmosphere than seating as the 'standers' are gathered in one area and are more likely to be the more lively ones. As stated elsewhere standing. In seats is not safe (I've got the scars on my shins to prove it!!)

I also think the club need to check again how many really want a safe seat as I don't think the survey reached people well.

Incidentally how do Brentford, Yeovil etc get away with terracing?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Which is a total nonsense, as there is absolutely nothing unsafe about terraces whatsoever. Hundreds of thousands of people stand on terraces every season in the lower leagues without incident, and yet in the upper echelons, with the modern, well equipped stadiums we have in this day and age, they're not even on the agenda.

Pathetic.

Agree with you on this. Problem is how the big money game has 'moved on' from terracing. The spectre of the bad old days, massive offs, over crowding (Hillsborough) etc is still lingering in the minds of the powers that be.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I have just seen this on another site, but cant verify its accuracy "safe standing areas with rail seats can hold up to “80% more supporters than a seated area of similar size.” And that means that ticket prices are usually cheaper in standing areas."

Does that have any bearing on peoples opinion?

Even if the club chose not to reduce ticket prices, allowing them to cover the cost of conversion, the increase in supporters, all standing, would have a benefit to atmosphere.

80% does seem a bit high. I know with SS in Europe they have systems that allow one and a half or even 2 people per seat/space which increases the capacity/revenue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Incidentally how do Brentford, Yeovil etc get away with terracing?

If you are promoted to the Championship, I believe you have 3 years to convert your terraces to all-seater.

Yeovil were only here for 5 minutes. Brentford may be getting special dispensation as they have been granted planning permission for their new stadium, although I have no idea how long its likely to be before they actually kick off in it. I don't think they've laid a brick yet.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
80% does seem a bit high. I know with SS in Europe they have systems that allow one and a half or even 2 people per seat/space which increases the capacity/revenue.

2 people per seat is 100% more???

Unpopulist

Dec 24, 2016
In t'old days of terracing I used to swap ends at half time at Leeds road on the main terrace side and sometimes you could even walk into the 'away' end if there was little away support. That freedom of movement wouldn't be possible now of course. I should say that's the only thing I preferred about the old ground as it was in my day, in decline. (Like the club!)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
So why do fans stand when at away games? Our fans basically use away grounds like a safe standing place, they stand, and they make noise.

I think I might be giving the wrong impression on how I feel about standing in general, when I say safe standing is pointless. To clarify, I like standing, I prefer standing and if I could choose an option free from the current realities, I would like an old school, old fashioned terrace. However I know that ship has sailed and safe standing is the option on the table. For me, the cost of ripping up the seats to replace them with a diluted form of what I want doesn't really seem like a great use of money. Not only that, lots of people already stand and make noise in the NS and I don't think safe standing would necessarily make the atmosphere better.
The questions I would ask are;
Will safe standing be the same or better than a terrace? I don’t think it will.
Will safe standing improve the atmosphere? Given that people already stand and make noise in the NS, I don’t think it will make much if any difference.
Will it mean cheaper tickets? No.
Those three answers are why “safe standing” seems pointless to me.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So why do fans stand when at away games? Our fans basically use away grounds like a safe standing place, they stand, and they make noise.

We're Albion,we stand where we like!:albion2:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Borussia Dortmund’s ‘Yellow Wall’.jpg

Borussia Dortmund’s ‘Yellow Wall’ is all safe standing and by all accounts makes a big difference to atmosphere.

Obviously we wouldn't be able to replicate the scale seen at Dortmund, but looking at the density of supporters this image, we could increase the capacity of the North Stand and thus increase atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here