Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adios Jack Harper.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Yep. Agreed. He's not fulfilled expectations, although most of that hype didn't come from him. But he's still young.
But why need to call players "shit".

Perhaps because all he managed to do whilst here, was get himself a personalised seat at the Nando's where the Goldstone used to be.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep. Agreed. He's not fulfilled expectations, although most of that hype didn't come from him. But he's still young.
But why need to call players "shit".

"Shit" may or may not be harsh. I've not seen anything of him other than a couple of goals on YouTube, so I can't really judge. But our strikers in the DS have pretty much without exception been utter shithouse, and Harpers lack of progress in his time here would seem to consign him very much into that bracket along with all the other failures.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He was unfortunate with injury when he joined, but he really has been a huge disappointment. A young attacking midfielder with an eye for goal was just what we needed when he arrived. He may or may not be shit, but he has certainly not taken advantage of any opportunity to impress the coaches here.

Maybe he is just not cut out for championship football. Good luck to him in Spain, but I cannot help but feel that he has blown a major opportunity to make his mark in English football here.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not been good enough to even come close to making a 1st team appearance anywhere in his career so far ?

2 years with the kids at Real Madrid playing in the amateur 3rd tier, great career move that turned out to be. Then 18 months in and out of our DS, without so much as a sniff of our bench, even in the crap cups.

He's 21 next month, and has never played a game. If he was good enough, surely he'd have shown something by now.

Yeah, Ian Wright was shit as well wasn't he:whistle:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, Ian Wright was shit as well wasn't he:whistle:

:rolleyes:
The example trotted out every time we release someone who might still have "potential". Roy Keane is usually the other one.

If Jack Harper turns out to be a prolific striker in La Liga, or at any level equal to or higher than the Championship, then I will paint my arse blue and show it in the window of Top Shop.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It was only ever lazy scouting driven my vanity, if you care to look closely at the Academy there are many examples of youth Icelandic internationals, Irish internationals and Harper a scottish youth international with a Real Madrid name tag, seems like they have a PR department trying too hard, better the staff get their heads down and develop those youngsters on their doorstep, but a few scouts might lose out on their utterly pointless overseas trips and their priority decisions on similar talented players to somehow justify their existence.

The only magic bullet is development of young players, getting half baked players in from afar and letting them have an extended trial in the disguise of 1 year or 2 year contracts is never likely to deliver successes.

The Academy needs an identitiy of primarily local youngsters and a long term development strategy, schizophrenic signings and then discardings is just signifys hope rather than design.

You can't blame the kids, its the recruitment policy and those that implement it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm a closet Montrose fan. Just down the road from Arbroath. Makes a cracking local derby. All of 300 fans there.

Montrose is the only Professional football ground I have never been to. They have never played Motherwell in my lifetime of over 50 years

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It was only ever lazy scouting driven my vanity, if you care to look closely at the Academy there are many examples of youth Icelandic internationals, Irish internationals and Harper a scottish youth international with a Real Madrid name tag, seems like they have a PR department trying too hard, better the staff get their heads down and develop those youngsters on their doorstep, but a few scouts might lose out on their utterly pointless overseas trips and their priority decisions on similar talented players to somehow justify their existence.

The only magic bullet is development of young players, getting half baked players in from afar and letting them have an extended trial in the disguise of 1 year or 2 year contracts is never likely to deliver successes.

The Academy needs an identitiy of primarily local youngsters and a long term development strategy, schizophrenic signings and then discardings is just signifys hope rather than design.
You can't blame the kids, its the recruitment policy and those that implement it.

Most of that is fact and local Youth should be developed for sure but bringing in talent from abroad should also be developed. The Academy should fund itself in the future. How so by being in the Premier League and having even brilliant Youngsters coming through who still won't make the first team because the first team is so good.

Then you start to fall into the category of Spurs and Arsenal and Chelsea where you sell the players who don't make it at Brighton on to other clubs. Very much in the vein of players like we almost paid £8m for in Alex Pritchard.

That's what the aim of the club as a whole and the Academy in particular should be aiming for. This doesn't happen overnight and it has to happen in conjunction with success of the first team squad.

Lush

Mods' Pet
"Shit" may or may not be harsh. I've not seen anything of him other than a couple of goals on YouTube, so I can't really judge. But our strikers in the DS have pretty much without exception been utter shithouse, and Harpers lack of progress in his time here would seem to consign him very much into that bracket along with all the other failures.

Maguire-Drew seems to be doing OK at Dagenham and Redbridge.

Loan ends this month.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maguire-Drew seems to be doing OK at Dagenham and Redbridge.

Loan ends this month.

Doing OK at Dagenham isn't going to cut it at BHA though. I appreciate he's young, and sending them out to the lower leagues is a way to bring them on. Maybe in the coming seasons M-D will develop, break the mould, and make a decent career banging in the goals at Championship level or above, be that here or elsewhere.

But it'd certainly be a first.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doing OK at Dagenham isn't going to cut it at BHA though. I appreciate he's young, and sending them out to the lower leagues is a way to bring them on. Maybe in the coming seasons M-D will develop, break the mould, and make a decent career banging in the goals at Championship level or above, be that here or elsewhere.

But it'd certainly be a first.

Come to think of it , have we EVER had a double-barrel-surname player do anything very much?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Most of that is fact and local Youth should be developed for sure but bringing in talent from abroad should also be developed. The Academy should fund itself in the future. How so by being in the Premier League and having even brilliant Youngsters coming through who still won't make the first team because the first team is so good.

Then you start to fall into the category of Spurs and Arsenal and Chelsea where you sell the players who don't make it at Brighton on to other clubs. Very much in the vein of players like we almost paid £8m for in Alex Pritchard.

That's what the aim of the club as a whole and the Academy in particular should be aiming for. This doesn't happen overnight and it has to happen in conjunction with success of the first team squad.

I think it cannot be done any other way, our Academy and our infrastructure is world class no doubt, however I do not believe that most of the staff within it at the top end (perhaps under 14's - under 23's) are, worth bearing in mind that most of them were recruited by David Burke, perhaps that has changed somewhat but you get my drift.

I wholly agree that you cannot have an abitrary recruitment region, however you can without doubt have a priority recruitment region which would offer a genuine identity to Brighton & Hove Albions FC's aspirations ahead of what we see now.

I wouldnt lend my view to say Man Utd, Arsenal or Real Madrid, those clubs can recruit the very best from Germany, Spain, Holland etc. we simply cannot and to just recruit young aspiring players outside of the Sussex, England or the UK doesnt reflect what those bigger clubs are doing, its driven by a flawed vanity.

Outside of the BIG clubs you very quickly start recruiting from a similar talent pool, coaching development is key, get the very best development coaches you can ever find that is the only way you can really steal a march on your competitors otherwise it becomes no more than luck.

A decent player from say Ireland, Iceland or Norway will not be better than we already have here, but still through self interest we continue to do it anyway.

It seems at present there is a dominant overseas scout/s that seems to prioritise young talent from their areas (he would wouldnt he) ahead of say the local Sussex scout that is very likely to have a player with similar attributes, however it just seems that when the ultimate decision is made (and every decision has consequences for another young player) it will be a player from further afield that gets the nod.

We are not and cannot recruit the best young players internationally, we have to develop, nurture, support and trust young genuinely talented players from Sussex firstly and give them the benefit of the doubt, if the coaches are skilled enough and opportunities are offered it will give our own club an identity and reputation rather than the nothingness we seem to have at present.

Last edited:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
JFC has gone now, too. Joined Charlton permanently. Good luck to him.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
JFC has gone now, too. Joined Charlton permanently. Good luck to him.

I cannot see that quoted anywhere official.

Needless to say he was never good enough, overhyped because he was local and young and could get into a England U21 team filled with so called talent that will never make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here