Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wednesday fans discussing us....

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
This £25m figure is so annoying, batshit idiot fans have no idea what they are on about, read one or two lines and then make their own deluded decision about what it means. That £25m was LAST year, was the club's loss, including all spend on infrastructure improvements and not 100% related to building and paying for the squad. Obviously the costs for running the team were within FFP allowances or we would have FAILED FFP. Which we did not.

We won't fail this season either, nor will we fail over the three year review. Not sniping at Massive fans as they (in that thread at least), seem a decent bunch.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Definitely 6th place I hope. Sometimes we look better, like we can attack the top 4 but then we slip up or put in a bad performance. We seem to be exceptionally good at grinding out sneaky wins and draws I think we've scored 7 or 8 goals in added time this season. But overall we aren't playing that well as a team and seem to find scoring a lot harder than it should be given the players we have. So in reality we haven't shown much progression on last season despite our spending.

Hi,
Reading the comments on your board (mostly very fair) some seem to be surprised we are in this position this season, they seem to forget we were 15 points better than Wednesday, 5 wins, and just missed out on goal average for promotion.
Those 3 injuries in the first leg cost us and the absence of Stephens. You were bombarded in the second leg as well.
We have not spent much but have improved in exactly the right positions, and kept hold of the best.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Because BBasic asked "How close to the truth are they about us being near the FFP limit?" and you replied "Loss of £25m", as if that's an FFP loss, and as if we're close.

Your link doesn't work.

Because you think we made an FFP loss of £25m, which isn't true.

Hes already 'claimed' that in that post he meant that we would lose players if we dont go up and was just too lazy to type that

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That Yaarkshire chip on shoulder gods country complex that sees the rest of the country laughing at them!

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
There seems to be a perception that Forestieri is causing dissent among the players and is eroding any team spirit. I'd be interested in hearing your take on it: is this is widely-held view or one held by a few vocal malcontents on Owls Talk

This seasons indifferent performances are not necessarily down to team spirit it's more down to urgency and tactics in games. We're really slow and progressive but quite solid. It's quite different football to what we were playing last season and we don't seem to be able to take games by the scruff of the neck.

Forestieri was probably a contributing factor to a shakey start but he found some fantastic form again in November time and the team looked decent. Since then he's not played much after another 3 match ban and injuries. To be honest I think having such a large squad of players that don't even get a look in is the biggest contributing factor to a team that's not gelling as well as it should. Players like Abdi (signed for £4M) can't get a game, David Jones (£2M and one of Burnleys key players in the promotion campaign of 15/16) can't get into the side consistently. Hooper and Fletcher have been injured so much between them they've hardly formed a partnership. Will Buckley's been average when called upon. Adam Reach is played in about 5 positions each game and finally the list of players that don't even feature at all is Sougou, Matias, Melo, flipping URBY EMANUELSON (180 games for Ajax and AC Milan but has never been able to start for us), Sasso, Dielna, Sergiu Bus and Lewis McGugan.

Still think we're doing quite well though and have the right owner, vision and finances behind us. It's just that it takes time to build a strong foundation at this level. AKA Yourselves! Apart from that one season you've been at it for a few years at the right end of the table.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
Hi,
Reading the comments on your board (mostly very fair) some seem to be surprised we are in this position this season, they seem to forget we were 15 points better than Wednesday, 5 wins, and just missed out on goal average for promotion.
Those 3 injuries in the first leg cost us and the absence of Stephens. You were bombarded in the second leg as well.
We have not spent much but have improved in exactly the right positions, and kept hold of the best.

Yeh well it's true many people from the outside thought you'd peaked and overachieved last season and that you'd fail to hit the same heights again this campaign. You can see how from the outside that's sometimes how it looked at times last season. So it's probably more surprising that you've kicked on and got stronger proving that it wasn't a one off season and I think this Championship is about as hard as it's ever been so it's even more surprise that you're making it look easy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
. To be honest I think having such a large squad of players that don't even get a look in is the biggest contributing factor to a team that's not gelling as well as it should. Players like Abdi (signed for £4M) can't get a game, David Jones (£2M and one of Burnleys key players in the promotion campaign of 15/16) can't get into the side consistently. Hooper and Fletcher have been injured so much between them they've hardly formed a partnership. Will Buckley's been average when called upon. Adam Reach is played in about 5 positions each game and finally the list of players that don't even feature at all is Sougou, Matias, Melo, flipping URBY EMANUELSON (180 games for Ajax and AC Milan but has never been able to start for us), Sasso, Dielna, Sergiu Bus and Lewis McGugan.

I hadn't realised you'd bought Jones - he's a decent player at this level, surprised he's not a regular. I'd not heard of Emanuelson but he's got some decent pedigree, a full Dutch international and 200 + appearances in top divisions and still only 30, should be tearing up this league. And what's with Abdi? I remember when he was signed, quite a few on here thought he was a shrewd signing and should do well in the Championship. That's some serious talent right there, you should be doing better than 6th TBH

Not surprised about Buckley though - he can be excellent but he's either injured or goes missing in games. Don't think there'd be too many people on here who'd want him back

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeh well it's true many people from the outside thought you'd peaked and overachieved last season and that you'd fail to hit the same heights again this campaign. You can see how from the outside that's sometimes how it looked at times last season. So it's probably more surprising that you've kicked on and got stronger proving that it wasn't a one off season and I think this Championship is about as hard as it's ever been so it's even more surprise that you're making it look easy.
People have short memories, we've made the playoffs in three of the previous four seasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One guy says no key injuries. Only missing last years player of the season.

As unbelievable as it sounds (I know I pee'ed myself a little when he went off) the whole point of this season is the fact that the team isn't missing him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair points from most of them.

The occasional 'they're in massive debt and need to sell their players' comments are great though.

Seems everybody has jumped on this 25M loss announcement without actually understanding it.

That said, we are in massive debt, probably in excess of £250m!!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've seen tweets from several different fans claiming that we're cheating ffp, and buying our way into the Premier League.

I hope you corrected them :thumbsup: £4-£5mil spent in the Summer - Kodja cost more than our whole squad with the add-ons - then there's Newcastle, Norwich, Derby etc etc... I think our playing budget was 10th last season.

Oct 25, 2003
most teams who go up from the championship have the 'bought success' tag thrust upon them from fans of other teams. The truth is that going up from this league and not spending ANYTHING on players is pretty much impossible- I can't remember a team doing so. Teams have gone up with relatively small budgets but generally to go up you have to spend a few bob. We haven't exactly been lavish spenders compared to others and if you look at our team it's not like we've overspent and assembled a squad of marquee signings- most were pretty decent bargains in fact. I'm sure Wednesday have spent more on individual players than the pretty small sum that we spent on Knockaert for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here