Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wednesday fans discussing us....

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
Yo, not been on since last season. I think you'll find our fans are a decent bunch and the usual comments are only ever banter. This 'banter' has been going on for years between north stand chat and Owlstalk so it's generally what each set of fans perceive the others to genuinely think. But as you see there's some reasonable football debate going on.

Oh and quite a lot of fans don't realise that FFP doesn't include spending on infrastructure. FFP never fails to cause confusion and chaos amongst rival fans.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yo, not been on since last season. I think you'll find our fans are a decent bunch and the usual comments are only ever banter. This 'banter' has been going on for years between north stand chat and Owlstalk so it's generally what each set of fans perceive the others to genuinely think. But as you see there's some reasonable football debate going on.

Oh and quite a lot of fans don't realise that FFP doesn't include spending on infrastructure. FFP never fails to cause confusion and chaos amongst rival fans.

Welcome back.

Your lot DO seem to be level headed and sensible, quite an achievement online these days.

Where do you see Wednesday finishing this season?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Im pretty sure that the FFP figures can allow for additional money to be spent on development and infrastructure of facilities and not come out of the £39m pot.

It's also very interesting that we are always pretty much exactly at the limit for FFP and expenditure each season without ever fearing that we may breach it and be hit with a transfer embargo

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Im pretty sure that the FFP figures can allow for additional money to be spent on development and infrastructure of facilities and not come out of the £39m pot.

It's also very interesting that we are always pretty much exactly at the limit for FFP and expenditure each season without ever fearing that we may breach it and be hit with a transfer embargo

Its almost as though we PLAN it, or something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting reading and a LOT of love for CH. We really ARE fortunate to have him at the club. Hope he stays around for ages...
Although it has been commented on, I think more has to be made of the 'togetherness' of the squad.
Of course the big events speak for themselves, as does the traditional signs like exuberant goal celebrations.

But it's not just that, from the outside looking in they appear to have morphed into 1 massive player.
It doesn't matter how the starting 11 changes the unit doesn't.

This is a team that hasn't missed Kayal and is unlikely to miss Dunk.
That just isn't 'normal'. :lol:

Clearly this squad is a reflection of it's manager

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats exactly right, FFP only applies to playing operations. otherwise no club could ever afford to upgrade their ground to grow their club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No parachute payments

Lower gate receipts than us

Yet they have a huge wage bill...

Riddle me that!
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

and what's this shit about them having higher gate receipts?
Indeed. We have higher attendances than them, and I imagine we have higher ticket prices than them. And probably more money from our sponsorship deals.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not.

Where can you have got this figure from? We may have made that loss, but that's before FFP deductions are made (eg, money spent on training ground doesn't count). We haven't made a £25m FFP loss.

That's how the BBC reported it in their headline. Most fans don't look beyond that.

Edit to add the link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38251262

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yeah well they'd better start before they come posting bullshit here, 'cos I'm on the ****ing case.

They're not likely to come on here. They discuss it on their own forums, and on Twitter where the myth perpetuates. Even our own fans are saying we're too much in debt. The devil is in the detail.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
Welcome back.

Your lot DO seem to be level headed and sensible, quite an achievement online these days.

Where do you see Wednesday finishing this season?

Definitely 6th place I hope. Sometimes we look better, like we can attack the top 4 but then we slip up or put in a bad performance. We seem to be exceptionally good at grinding out sneaky wins and draws I think we've scored 7 or 8 goals in added time this season. But overall we aren't playing that well as a team and seem to find scoring a lot harder than it should be given the players we have. So in reality we haven't shown much progression on last season despite our spending.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not.

Where can you have got this figure from? We may have made that loss, but that's before FFP deductions are made (eg, money spent on training ground doesn't count). We haven't made a £25m FFP loss.

Not sure why you are quoting me as I haven't implied we are breaching ffp, but as for £25m it's well reported.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...ss-as-price-of-push-for-place-in-premiership/

I was only alluding (my guess)we will lose a few players if we don't go up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But overall we aren't playing that well as a team and seem to find scoring a lot harder than it should be given the players we have. So in reality we haven't shown much progression on last season despite our spending.

There seems to be a perception that Forestieri is causing dissent among the players and is eroding any team spirit. I'd be interested in hearing your take on it: is this is widely-held view or one held by a few vocal malcontents on Owls Talk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure why you are quoting me as I haven't implied we are breaching ffp
Because BBasic asked "How close to the truth are they about us being near the FFP limit?" and you replied "Loss of £25m", as if that's an FFP loss, and as if we're close.

Your link doesn't work.

I was only alluding (my guess)we will lose a few players if we don't go up.
Because you think we made an FFP loss of £25m, which isn't true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here