Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wednesday fans discussing us....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I've seen tweets from several different fans claiming that we're cheating ffp, and buying our way into the Premier League.

What other options are there these days? Parachute payments inflate every single Championship club's playing budget which in turn inflates League 1 etc., etc.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sheff Utd forum and fans are even better from what i read. Stay away from Waccoe if you are easily offended.

That's easily done. Firstly they don't let many people on there apart from Leeds fans. Secondly, if they lose Waccoe goes into lockdown preventing non-members even looking in on their meltdowns.

For such a 'big club', Leeds are SO precious.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What other options are there these days? Parachute payments inflate every single Championship club's playing budget which in turn inflates League 1 etc., etc.

You've missed the point. We spent a lot less than other clubs last summer. Our record signing is Duffy at approx £4M.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Serious question, how do 15k or so get to and from the ground without using the subsided travel? I don't see those sort of numbers walking to the ground. You have the paid for car parks, and Seagulls travel coaches which don't use the travel vouchers, but is there really 15k using those options?

There's obviously the paid for car parks, not sure how many cars they take, and the various coaches that come in from around the county, what do you reckon the total is that uses those paid for travel/parking options? I'm with you, I'd have thought a decent majority use the various travel concessions provided with the match ticket. Two of the Park & Rides fill up for most games, the trains from Brighton are rammed, as are buses.

Www.oldfootballshirts.com

Don't forget Seagull Travel Coaches and Buses are subsidised from the Travel supplement. For example going with ST for the cup match from Seaford the price has gone up by £5 as there is no subsidy. Guess the number using the Seagull travel must be close to a 1000.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You've missed the point. We spent a lot less than other clubs last summer. Our record signing is Duffy at approx £4M.

Exactly. I find it funny that any Wednesday fans would comment on our spending. We signed Duffy and Norwood for money this summer. Probably about £5 million between them. I think they made seven or eight signings this summer including Reach and Abdi, both of whom cost more than Duffy if I remember correctly.

When you compare our record signing, Duffy, to the money spent by the likes of Newcastle, Norwich, Derby, Wednesday and Villa on their squads, he comes nowhere near. And that ignores teams like Fulham and QPR who have had periods of major spending in recent years.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I agree it is decent too. The people of Sheffield know their onions when it comes to football and support their clubs in big numbers. Far more so than Leeds and one or two other big cities. When you consider that Sheffield and Leeds are broadly similar in size, the Sheffield clubs enjoy incredible support.

True, though Leeds Rhinos are the best supported Rugby League club - Sheffield doesn't have that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
:lol:

img_6462.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I didn't miss the point at all. However, it is undeniable that each year, an organic growth into the PL becomes less and less likely.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Exactly. I find it funny that any Wednesday fans would comment on our spending. We signed Duffy and Norwood for money this summer. Probably about £5 million between them. I think they made seven or eight signings this summer including Reach and Abdi, both of whom cost more than Duffy if I remember correctly.

When you compare our record signing, Duffy, to the money spent by the likes of Newcastle, Norwich, Derby, Wednesday and Villa on their squads, he comes nowhere near. And that ignores teams like Fulham and QPR who have had periods of major spending in recent years.

Not sure that these figures are accurate:

Transfer League (last 5 seasons for Championship clubs)
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/cha...r-league-tables/championship-last-five-season
PL
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/pre...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Conclusion: buying only correlates with success only 50% of the time. Selling and replacing with inferior players is 90% failure.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Pretty reasonable thread.

And it contains 'mellow dramatic'.

Lovely stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here