Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quirky things that you like about Football.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Any football ground (not stadium) that is in the middle of their town/city and its very obvious that the entire home support are walking to the ground. Rotherham, Newcastle, Pompey etc.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In the Goldstone era, travelling from Bexhill rail station, changing at Eastbourne to Hove and return trip.
Remembering the smells, especially from cigars and match programme's and listening to fans with tranny radios giving their verdict on the game.
For me, that will never go away :)

PS: trains actually ran properly then!!

I agree except that the strongest smell was stale piss.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Brentfords ground with the atmosphere in the 4 pubs, which will be no more soon.
Not much quirkiness left but years ago football was loaded with it.
I really miss pylon floodlights especially half a mile from the ground you are walking to.

Went to Workington in the mid 90,s and i would imagine that it was a bit depressing even in the leagues era,but cut down floodlights. Very sad to see. img_3350.jpg

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A proper clunky turnstile with someone tearing off a stub is still the gold standard for entering a ground

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Any football ground (not stadium) that is in the middle of their town/city and its very obvious that the entire home support are walking to the ground. Rotherham, Newcastle, Pompey etc.

Agree with this nothing beats walking around residential streets with a crackling tannoy being heard in the distance

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I like that Chester City's Deva stadium is partly in England and partly in Wales. I also like that Bobby scored his first hat-trick for us there when we beat them 7-1 in 1999.

Walking around the allotments behind Vicarage Road to get to the old away terrace was different / irritating too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Light shows, falconry displays, cheerleaders and goal music..........:jester:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The man with the board carrying the winning ticket number of the match day draw. Along with those H/T score letters.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Krispies at a British Sea Power gig

krispies.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here