Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quirky things that you like about Football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The random shouts from older fans like "where are we" or "put him in the book".

I went to Tranmere vs Huddersfield about 15 years ago, and was intensely intrigued by the old chap to my left who gave it "Come on Rovers, come on" at lest 50 times during the game. In my household, "Come on Rovers, come on" is now a byword (or byphrase) for "Come on football, give us a goal!" aka the Partridge. If its not a bit mental, its a bit shit. Basically :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The toilets at Brentford are like medieval latrines

Last time I went, about 100 BHA chaps had to point their chaps through the fence at 45 minutes in order to lower the water table, so to speak. Brentford = not yet up to 'tin pot' status. Still 'through the fence, no pot, not even tin'.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
In the Goldstone era, travelling from Bexhill rail station, changing at Eastbourne to Hove and return trip.
Remembering the smells, especially from cigars and match programme's and listening to fans with tranny radios giving their verdict on the game.
For me, that will never go away :)

PS: trains actually ran properly then!!

Likewise, though I got on two stops later at Cooden Beach!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
That bits of old football grounds turn up at other grounds. Like the old main stand roof at Sealand road chester being part of the away end at Port Vale

Not strictly an old ground but to this day the flag pole on top of the Kop at Anfield that caries the Liverpool club crest is the flag pole from the Isambard Kingdom Brunel ship The Great Eastern.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Bodged up ground repairs. Remember once having kick off at Macclesfield delayed by an hour as the new terrace behind the goal had been finished but the emergency exists at the front had been welded shut and needed Oxy acetylene cutters and angle grinders quickly hired for any tool place in Cheshire to rectify

This was just a one-off occurrence, but it's a shame that this sort of thing doesn't happen more frequently.

Lady B and I were at Bristol City and the Albion won a corner. Kerry Mayo came across to take it. He looked up and saw Lady B in the crowd, waved and shouted out "Hi, Roz, how are you doing?"

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not sure if they've changed it but the away entrance into Lutons ground is odd to say the least , i can only assume those people living either side of the staircases which look like they are in their back gardens get a rent reduction .

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This was just a one-off occurrence, but it's a shame that this sort of thing doesn't happen more frequently.

Lady B and I were at Bristol City and the Albion won a corner. Kerry Mayo came across to take it. He looked up and saw Lady B in the crowd, waved and shouted out "Hi, Roz, how are you doing?"

That,s a brillant shout !

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That moment when you first glimpse the pitch at a ground/stadium and that moment when you exit a ground/stadium at a venue where the locals are known for getting a bit tasty.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
That bits of old football grounds turn up at other grounds. Like the old main stand roof at Sealand road chester being part of the away end at Port Vale

When we first played at Mansfield, the whole main stand had been bought second-hand from Hurst Park racecourse in Surrey. That had been modelled on one of the Highbury stand designs.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
The ironic cheers from the home support when the opposition sky a shot.
Doesn't happen really in the Spanish leagues. Don't know why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here