Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quirky things that you like about Football.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Try and keep it U/K based (unless it means a lot to you) basically football in the U/K it,s League or Non-League maybe park football whatever. A name of a ground like The Dripping Pan,perhaps a club name Third Lanark and ground where your Tea is actually served in a mug and not a plastic cup,a feature of the ground like the old Midland Rd side at Bradford City very shallow and small dwarfed by those two new stands. You get the drift.:bigwave:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think a lot of the quirky things are gone: two I used to like were the old Northampton Town ground where one side had no stand and the cricket pitch behind it and the splendidly named Gay Meadow, for its proximity to the river (and the bloke in the coracle employed to retrieve balls) as well as its name.

What's left? I still like the cottage in Craven Cottage and the bloke in the top hat who waves to the crowd at Peterborough games

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think a lot of the quirky things are gone: two I used to like were the old Northampton Town ground where one side had no stand and the cricket pitch behind it and the splendidly named Gay Meadow, for its proximity to the river (and the bloke in the coracle employed to retrieve balls) as well as its name.

What's left? I still like the cottage in Craven Cottage and the bloke in the top hat who waves to the crowd at Peterborough games

I like the girl in the fishnets, high heels and top-hat that Peterborough still make parade in front of the away fans, to inevitable results.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The random shouts from older fans like "where are we" or "put him in the book".

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
The view of the Moray Firth from Inverness Caledonian Thistle's ground.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I like the irony involved in us leaving an athletics track to play in a football stadium while WHU leave a football stadium to play at an athletics track.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Walking between the houses to get to Luton's ground.
Watching Arundel from the club house or the tiny covered terrace in one corner, and the bloke who fishes the ball out of the ditch with a net.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I cherish the 'Nodding Alex Ferguson' graphic that accompanies the HT announcement of the winning Amex scratchcard ticket numbers. Even tho everybody has pissed off to the bogs and/or the endless queue for a pie and a pint and there's nobody there to actually witness it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fat physios - and when two opposing physios race each other to be first to their respective injured player.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Tribalism of the fans

Players pretending they love the club they currently play for

#Together how different this club is

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The fact that a fullback can hoof a ball in to row Z with no opposition player within 5 yards of him yet genuinely appeal for the throw!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Stupid things that pundits say.

"They look like two different teams out there"

"If they had scored, it would have been a different result"

etc.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I always liked the Vetch where the stand stopped in the middle to be replaced by a row of houses. You can take your dog in to watch Carmarthen Town:tumble:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That bits of old football grounds turn up at other grounds. Like the old main stand roof at Sealand road chester being part of the away end at Port Vale

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the way other (lesser) clubs think we should not be where we are

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In the Goldstone era, travelling from Bexhill rail station, changing at Eastbourne to Hove and return trip.
Remembering the smells, especially from cigars and match programme's and listening to fans with tranny radios giving their verdict on the game.
For me, that will never go away :)

PS: trains actually ran properly then!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Brentfords ground with the atmosphere in the 4 pubs, which will be no more soon.
Not much quirkiness left but years ago football was loaded with it.
I really miss pylon floodlights especially half a mile from the ground you are walking to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Certainly not quirky but I used to enjoy knowing how much was spent on a transfer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here