Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frank lampard

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
From the BBC...

Former Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard has retired, bringing to an end a 21-year professional career.

The 38-year-old, who spent last year with New York City in Major League Soccer in the US, announced his decision on social media on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37985587

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
lethal_weapon_im_too_old_for_this_shit.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
From the BBC...

Former Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard has retired, bringing to an end a 21-year professional career.

The 38-year-old, who spent last year with New York City in Major League Soccer in the US, announced his decision on social media on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37985587

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Priveliged to have watched him live, what a player. One of Englands best ever midfielders, a joy to watch.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Priveliged to have watched him live, what a player. One of Englands best ever midfielders, a joy to watch.

Really? Best ever is a bit strong. A great premier league player for me, who struggled at international level and was in Gerard's shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
From his Social Media:

After 21 incredible years, I have decided that now is the right time to finish my career as a professional footballer. Whilst I have received a number of exciting offers to continue playing at home and abroad, at 38 I feel now is the time to begin the next chapter in my life. I’m immensely proud of the trophies I’ve won, of representing my country over 100 times and of scoring more than 300 career goals.

I have many people to thank. I thank my parents for instilling in me the values of hard work, dedication and professionalism, values which I have carried with me in everything that I do. I am forever grateful for the support of my family, my wife Christine and my two daughters Luna and Isla. What you have given me off the pitch has always been my strength on it. I love you all very much. Also, my friends and my own team that have always been there for me. I would like to thank the amazing team-mates, coaches, managers and backroom staff that I was privileged to work with. I’d also like to pay tribute to the clubs that I have represented. Firstly, West Ham United who gave me my debut in 1996. Thanks to the people there that believed in me at that young age. More recently Manchester City and New York City FC. I greatly enjoyed my last playing years at these two clubs and really appreciate the support I received from City Football Group and both clubs’ fans.

Of course, the largest part of my heart belongs to Chelsea Football Club, a club which has given me so many great memories. I will never forget the opportunity they gave me and the success that we managed to achieve together. It is impossible to give thanks individually to all the people that helped and supported me in my 13 years playing there. All I can say is from the day I signed until now and going forward, I'm eternally grateful for everything and to everyone. Chelsea fans gave myself and my teammates such incredible support. Their passion and hunger drove me on personally to give my best year after year. I couldn't have done it without them.

Looking forward, I'm grateful to the FA for the opportunity to study for my coaching qualifications and I look forward to pursuing the off-field opportunities that this decision opens.

https://www.facebook.com/franklampard/videos/1206831346096688/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Really? Best ever is a bit strong. A great premier league player for me, who struggled at international level and was in Gerard's shadow.

"One of" he said. That really can't be argued. At international level he was never used properly. I don't think he could ever be effective in a 2 man central midfield. At Chelsea the system was perfect for him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
"One of" he said. That really can't be argued. At international level he was never used properly. I don't think he could ever be effective in a 2 man central midfield. At Chelsea the system was perfect for him.

The issue is 'best ever' one or otherwise (bit pedantic tbh). [emoji2] though I think it can be argued as surely the biggest stage is internationally.

Whether used effectively or not, you basically agree that he never shone at international level then?

Given how prolific he was at club level, it's frustrating that he didn't replicate it at major tournaments.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
9th all time to scorer for England.

The absolute epitome of a player who is not the best at any one individual skill but worked SO hard to develop his game.

It's not luck that he found himself in THAT position where he used to get most of his goals from.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm very anti-Chelski, but in fairness to Lampard, he maximised his ability 100%, and it's hard to take anyone seriously that doesn't respect that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

For me he's in the second tier, decent for England but nothing special. No better than Keegan, not as skilful as Hoddle or Gascoigne, not as profilic as Bobby Charlton, not as influential as Bryan Robson.

That said, for Chelsea in club football he was immense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here