Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CCTV Home outdoor recommendations

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Thanks for the answer and for the link. Being ignorant, I'd choose wireless because I only have to get power to the cameras rather than have to physically connect them to a (remote) hub. I have 13 amp sockets all over my new place, so access to them w/be easy - getting cables, whether ethernet or PoE from four (roughly) cameras to one router location will involve drilling holes through walls and having surface mounted cabling along walls/skirting boards. Not an issue for you?? If I was installing in a new build, I'd definitely go wired, but if the signal strength is good enough, I'm bemused why anyone would choose wired over wireless in a retrofit situation. Genuinely not having a pop here, just puzzled...

I had a wifi camera setup for 6 months before I switched to PoE cameras - far more reliable. The cabling didn't cost very much, and was able to utilise the sky cable hole to feed the PoE cables for two cameras to a network switch.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thanks for the answer and for the link. Being ignorant, I'd choose wireless because I only have to get power to the cameras rather than have to physically connect them to a (remote) hub. I have 13 amp sockets all over my new place, so access to them w/be easy - getting cables, whether ethernet or PoE from four (roughly) cameras to one router location will involve drilling holes through walls and having surface mounted cabling along walls/skirting boards. Not an issue for you?? If I was installing in a new build, I'd definitely go wired, but if the signal strength is good enough, I'm bemused why anyone would choose wired over wireless in a retrofit situation. Genuinely not having a pop here, just puzzled...

Lovely [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] big help that.

I'm in a similar situation where thinking of home CCTV but would want WiFi as my house has just been renovated and we were silly and didn't spec this in. I have a power socket where I'd like the camera to go, inside but looking out towards the garage where the expensive car and bikes are kept. WiFi that records to the cloud and I can look at it via an iOS/OSX device would be ideal.

No probs both - Basically, wireless will do a job, end of! Just a bit of a compromise in quality and reliability, the offset being the installation challenges of a wired solution. Let me know if you want any other help or advice, I'm not an expert but have put quite a lot of time in to research and seen how mine operate over the years. I guess a good piece of advice is to regularly check your recordings to make sure they are functioning, don't want to find out the hard way that they are not....

I can't find the video that got 2 people locked up but if I do I'll share!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I can't find the video that got 2 people locked up but if I do I'll share!

Here's a fox out the back though:-
26-03-2015+02-44-27+House+Rear(1).jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Cheers all. As someone who deploys PoE for a living that would seem the obvious way forward. *******s have nicked me drill I've noticed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here