Please help support NSC by buying from Amazon

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 117

Thread: So the fact he was carrying a gun......

  1. #101

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who decided that it was a summary execution?
    Nobody.
    - Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract. -

  2. #102
    Members AK74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    389

    0 Not allowed!
    More importantly, I want to know when the Audi will be going through the auctions. All it needs is a new windscreen and a good interior valet. There's a bargain to be had for sure. Bet it's low mileage too.

  3. #103
    Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shoreham-by-Sea
    Posts
    266

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pathetic.
    Not sure what your point is?? However, none of knows the justification for shooting this man. It may have been a reasonable decision it may be another case of police shooting first and asking questions later. My point being you cannot justify shooting someone because they have a weapon. If that's the case I know where I'd like to start!!!

  4. #104
    Who is Kaiser Soze??
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,028

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've not even seen anything that suggests he was a muslim. He's got a funny name though so probably was.
    Didn't see his dating profile that was shown in the papers then where he stated his religion as Muslim?
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" Oscar Wilde

  5. #105
    Who is Kaiser Soze??
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,028

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by n1 gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was acquitted of murder - so therefore is not a murderer
    A "not proven" verdict would be useful to differentiate between someone who couldnt possibly have committed the crime and a case whereby it wasn't proved beyond reasonable doubt but if the burden was on the balance of probability, like in the civil court, they would have been found guilty. I don't like the grey area of potentially being found not guilty in criminal court but being found guilty in the civil courts.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" Oscar Wilde

  6. #106
    Who is Kaiser Soze??
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,028

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dingodan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lot's of people on here seem to be saying it's Ok to shoot and kill him for the following reasons:

    Not a nice bloke
    Possibly carries a gun
    Was once acquitted of a serious crime

    Just to be clear, in this country we don't summarily execute people for the above reasons.

    The only reason he could have been lawfully killed would be:

    He reached for a weapon


    So let's hope that is the case. Let's also hope most of you guys never have responsibility for such monumentous decisions, it sounds like many of you would have pulled the trigger just because you think he was probably a c***.

    Drug dealers and weapon carrying criminals tend to have quite low standards when it comes to decency and ethics, but you guys don't have to join them.
    Not strictly true.......It could be a lawful killing if the armed officer saw him reach for something which he honestly believed could have been a gun.

    Bottom line is officers were stopping a convoy of cars where they had reason to believe Yaqub was in possession of a firearm. If he put his hands anywhere out of sight of the armed officer in front of the car, such as reaching into a jacket or top, down to the centre console or something then he's running a risk. The armed officer CANNOT wait for him to bring the gun up into his field of vision. By then its too late.

    If you're stopped by armed police, then it's a damn good idea to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

    (NB We don't know what actually happened in this case, but that was exactly the defence used by the officer that shot Mark Duggan.)
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" Oscar Wilde

  7. #107
    Who is Kaiser Soze??
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,028

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, but neither do I have complete faith in them. They make mistakes, pursue the wrong people - The point I was making that there is not this big big difference between not guilty and innocent. To suggest otherwise is to imply that innocent people are never charged and taken to court. We all know that is completely untrue.
    It also works the other way. Mud sticks. People that were arrested for offences but then never charges still have stigma attached. Christopher Jefferies being arrested for the murder of Jo Yeates is a case in point.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" Oscar Wilde

  8. #108
    Who is Kaiser Soze??
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,028

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure what your point is?? However, none of knows the justification for shooting this man. It may have been a reasonable decision it may be another case of police shooting first and asking questions later. My point being you cannot justify shooting someone because they have a weapon. If that's the case I know where I'd like to start!!!
    But it has been justified when you thought they had a weapon and were about to use it against you! It's the textbook definition of a preemptive strike.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" Oscar Wilde

  9. #109
    Members mikeyjh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shoreham-by-Sea
    Posts
    2,492

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser_Soze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It also works the other way. Mud sticks. People that were arrested for offences but then never charges still have stigma attached. Christopher Jefferies being arrested for the murder of Jo Yeates is a case in point.
    Absolutely - That was the point I was trying to make some posts back to the fool who was trying to claim that there was a 'very, very big difference between innocent and not guilty'. There isn't.

  10. #110

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely - That was the point I was trying to make some posts back to the fool who was trying to claim that there was a 'very, very big difference between innocent and not guilty'. There isn't.
    I'll ask you again in case you've missed it given your statement above , do you accept that John Terry is not guilty of racially abusing anton ferdinand , given that he was found not guilty in a court of law ?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •