Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Most of Next Week -but will probably still be rubbish on the other days

D

Deleted User X18H

Yeah but .......Thameslink are running normally.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The job market must be flooded with commuters applying for jobs outside of London. In January...good luck!

Misery. Absolute misery for millions. It's a scandal. Transport minister should be sacked immediately even if it's just as a sacrificial lamb to bring both sides together again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks like a week of WFH then, good thing my employer is flexible

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We braved the trains to Fulham yesterday, gambling correctly if we set of early things would probably work out okay. Caught an empty 12 carriage train from Shoreham which was maybe 5 minutes late up and a 12 carriage train back after the match. I suppose I should be grateful to the non-union guard on this one, even if she was a complete imbecile, who messed up every announcement she made (she thought the train only had 8 carriages and kept changing her mind as to which direction the front four were going). We moved twice and ended up in the right place, so no big deal, but anyone who thinks any idiot could be a train guard, clearly hadn't come across this one.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
We braved the trains to Fulham yesterday, gambling correctly if we set of early things would probably work out okay. Caught an empty 12 carriage train from Shoreham which was maybe 5 minutes late up and a 12 carriage train back after the match. I suppose I should be grateful to the non-union guard on this one, even if she was a complete imbecile, who messed up every announcement she made (she thought the train only had 8 carriages and kept changing her mind as to which direction the front four were going). We moved twice and ended up in the right place, so no big deal, but anyone who thinks any idiot could be a train guard, clearly hadn't come across this one.

Very likely to be a manager who are guards on strike days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just can't believe the union officials who proudly state how much the public is behind them and thanks them for their support. Gets none from me.

The Government clearly ain't gonna do anything. Southern clearly have no inclination or incentive to do anything. The paying public ain't doing anything....this just leaves the unions. They have my support.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Government clearly ain't gonna do anything. Southern clearly have no inclination or incentive to do anything. The paying public ain't doing anything....this just leaves the unions. They have my support.

Whenever I see this im always reminded of Blackadder Goes Forth.
HT (General Melchett)
And if you should falter just remember that Captain Darling and I are behind you.

Blackadder (me or your average punter)

About 500 miles behind you.

Im sure the unions are very thankful for your support from Berlin.

Sadly from the thick of it in Brighton they can **** off.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm not unwilling to compromise, but I'd prefer a working train service that does what it's supposed to do, at least until I can afford a car.

I never actually realised until this strike how much people rely on a rail service.
Me personally i only ever used a train approx 20 x in my 50+ years on this planet, equate to once every couple of years.
My son works in London and never consider commuting, he just rented a place in London to be near the work.
Is this not an option?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whenever I see this im always reminded of Blackadder Goes Forth.
HT (General Melchett)
And if you should falter just remember that Captain Darling and I are behind you.

Blackadder (me or your average punter)

About 500 miles behind you.

Im sure the unions are very thankful for your support from Berlin.

Sadly from the thick of it in Brighton they can **** off.

Obviously I'm not a commuter but it does impact me. This season I've had to give up staying in Brighton overnight as the risk of not making my early flight it too great and also very stressful. I now have to travel to Gatwick on the last train and stay at an airport hotel. I want it to end as much as the next person.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I never actually realised until this strike how much people rely on a rail service.
Me personally i only ever used a train approx 20 x in my 50+ years on this planet, equate to once every couple of years.
My son works in London and never consider commuting, he just rented a place in London to be near the work.
Is this not an option?

House here.. £4200 train ticket..£7200 before tax....move to london = huge living cost increase.. Ok for youngsters flat share etc. Husband/wife and three kids.nigh impossible unless mega salary

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Is this not an option?

With the increasing rent prices in central London, it's going to be difficult for young graduates to juggle entering the job market without moving further outwards or getting flatshares with tiny living spaces.
Of course if I got a job and the salary was good then renting in London is an option, but firstly I'd have to get the job, and considering companies are turning down interviewees because of the situation it is generally going to be more difficult.
That being said, if THPP's optimism is well founded then the worries do relax a bit, but until then it's mostly a frustration that's shared by numerous young people who rely heavily on the commute to go to university/sixth form.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I either work from home or from the Brighton office when I can't get to London.(so sometimes I have to pay £4.20 for a bus instead)

Winner, winner .... must be a pain at times though?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Obviously I'm not a commuter but it does impact me. This season I've had to give up staying in Brighton overnight as the risk of not making my early flight it too great and also very stressful. I now have to travel to Gatwick on the last train and stay at an airport hotel. I want it to end as much as the next person.

Have you considered using National Express coaches as an alternative? I always use them nowadays for an early flight out of Gatwick. They run all through the night to the airport from Pool Valley bus station by The Steine. You get a guaranteed seat (you book your journey online in advance), they're warm, comfortable, super reliable, very cheap (about a tenner) and the journey time to the airport is about 45 minutes. What's not to like?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Have you considered using National Express coaches as an alternative? I always use them nowadays for an early flight out of Gatwick. They run all through the night to the airport from Pool Valley bus station by The Steine. You get a guaranteed seat (you book your journey online in advance), they're warm, comfortable, super reliable, very cheap (about a tenner) and the journey time to the airport is about 45 minutes. What's not to like?

Completely agree, National Express is the best way of getting to an airport in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here