Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Most of Next Week -but will probably still be rubbish on the other days

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Genuinely baffles me how bosses can be anything less than sympathetic with their staff when you being late is clearly, demonstrably, out of your hands.

How patient should business be then? None of this is their fault, their priority is to their shareholders, not to be sympathetic with the cause of an employees repeated non-attendance/ lateness, no matter how understandable the reason is. If someone else can do it with less fuss then they're not going to wait indefinitely.....

It's not like an employer can have any faith that this is going to be resolved in the short term.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So on Thursday and Saturday the trains are still ****ed, as the stock is in the wrong place?

Absolutely this. Pathetic PR attempt by the unions. I can hear the rhetoric already. "We have generously conceded to halve the strike action..."

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Obviously I'm not a commuter but it does impact me. This season I've had to give up staying in Brighton overnight as the risk of not making my early flight it too great and also very stressful. I now have to travel to Gatwick on the last train and stay at an airport hotel. I want it to end as much as the next person.

Oh the ****ing indignity!!!!!!!

I live in Worthing and work in Hove. Because of the train strikes, what will usually be a 45-50 minute journey by bus will now become anything up to 2 1/2 hours, as has happened on many occasions previously. The roads become more congested, the buses become cattle trucks, and it makes a crappy commute part of a 14 hour day. It's ok though, at least I don't have to sleep in a hotel airport. Because that's absolutely inhuman.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How patient should business be then? None of this is their fault, their priority is to their shareholders, not to be sympathetic with the cause of an employees repeated non-attendance/ lateness, no matter how understandable the reason is. If someone else can do it with less fuss then they're not going to wait indefinitely.....

It's not like an employer can have any faith that this is going to be resolved in the short term.

This, in a nutshell, is exactly why I will never own a business or be a line manager because in situations like this I would always side with the employee, shareholders be damned.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Depends on the job really. I mean I'm lucky in that I can work from home. I dont like it much TBH as I enjoy(!) going into work but most of my stuff is email or phone so do I need to be in the office if Im not meeting people etc. Probably not.

Appreciate not everyone is in the same position.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh the ****ing indignity!!!!!!!

I live in Worthing and work in Hove. Because of the train strikes, what will usually be a 45-50 minute journey by bus will now become anything up to 2 1/2 hours, as has happened on many occasions previously. The roads become more congested, the buses become cattle trucks, and it makes a crappy commute part of a 14 hour day. It's ok though, at least I don't have to sleep in a hotel airport. Because that's absolutely inhuman.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. I clearly stated I am not a commuter. I'm merely trying to point out that the strike does affect me but in a different way. Hotel airports are not usually pleasant places.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's a very very tricky one. Most employers in my experience are reasonably understanding and will try to accommodate the employee's short-term needs so far as is possible. But in the end a company's prime responsibility is to get the job done. Southern have somehow contrived in a short space of time to turn a large contingent of many companies work forces from highly-committed long-hours dedicated professionals into a workforce of highly-stressed-out clock-watching nine-to-fivers. And I mean that with no disrespect whatsoever. Basically Southern have killed the concept of commuting even the mickiest of mousiest distances to your job. And, most disgusting of all, the government department charged with keeping the country's transport infrastructure running smoothly appear perfectly content to let them do so.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Depends on the job really. I mean I'm lucky in that I can work from home. I dont like it much TBH as I enjoy(!) going into work but most of my stuff is email or phone so do I need to be in the office if Im not meeting people etc. Probably not.

Appreciate not everyone is in the same position.

I really do feel for those unable to WFH. I am very lucky in that I have a very understanding boss who is happy (ish) with me WFH all through this. I haven't been into the office since 19th December, but like you, I'm almost "missing" going to work now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And, most disgusting of all, the government department charged with keeping the country's transport infrastructure running smoothly appear perfectly content to let them do so.

There should be some hollow laughter come next general election when the Tories come out with their 'party for business' spiel. I wonder if anyone will remember all the lost days then

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a very very tricky one. Most employers in my experience are reasonably understanding and will try to accommodate the employee's short-term needs so far as is possible. But in the end a company's prime responsibility is to get the job done. Southern have somehow contrived in a short space of time to turn a large contingent of many companies work forces from highly-committed long-hours dedicated professionals into a workforce of highly-stressed-out clock-watching nine-to-fivers. And I mean that with no disrespect whatsoever. Basically Southern have killed the concept of commuting even the mickiest of mousiest distances to your job. And, most disgusting of all, the government department charged with keeping the country's transport infrastructure running smoothly appear perfectly content to let them do so.

you appear to missed out the union, whose strikes are causing the most significant disruption. including striking on already DOO London Metro services. i think this will be the biggest issue, not the few tens of thousands who cant commute up from the coast, it will be the hundreds of thousands across south London that haven't seen a guard in decades, wondering why they cant get a train.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There should be some hollow laughter come next general election when the Tories come out with their 'party for business' spiel. I wonder if anyone will remember all the lost days then

This does actually appear to be becoming a genuine election-changer in the Southern region, in that it's an issue that is genuinely affecting people's lives more forcefully and costing them far more economically than any other single issue. How long before the Association of British Commuters takes the next logical step and forms the commuting equivalent of The Seagulls Party?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
you appear to missed out the union, whose strikes are causing the most significant disruption. including striking on already DOO London Metro services. i think this will be the biggest issue, not the few tens of thousands who cant commute up from the coast, it will be the hundreds of thousands across south London that haven't seen a guard in decades, wondering why they cant get a train.

I think you'll find that most people, up to to and including the most vehement anti-union Tory voters, are intelligent enough to acknowledge that the level of service provided by Southern is a disgrace on a daily basis, not just on the handful of strike dates.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you'll find that most people, up to to and including the most vehement anti-union Tory voters, are intelligent enough to acknowledge that the level of service provided by Southern is a disgrace on a daily basis, not just on the handful of strike dates.

Five times in the last eight months, I've had to abandon a journey to get somewhere as the trains were so screwed up - five times - and only one of those was a strike day.

And don't forget the chaos after the Villa game: terrible service for those trying to get home, again, a non-strike day

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This does actually appear to be becoming a genuine election-changer in the Southern region

These are the only Tory seats in any danger. Given that the next election is over 3 years off and that they're not really worried about the opposition, I don't see it myself.

Croydon Central Gavin Barwell Conservative 165
Brighton Kemptown Simon Kirby Conservative 690
Eastbourne Caroline Ansell Conservative 733
Lewes Maria Caulfield Conservative 1,083

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here