Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lawrenson: Newcastle a shoe-in for Championship title

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Lawro... Never heard of Albion of course.

hughtonlawrenson.jpg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Whatever he thinks it is always negative about Brighton

Yep. He never stops. Just this morning.

"You've got to have somebody who on the bad days, whether thats a Hemed, a Murray , a Knockeart who can win you the game and thats what Albion have got. ..Brighton and Newcastle are the 2 outstanding teams...I honestly don't think the [chasing pack] will catch the top 2
Bloom has done a sensational job, Hughton is a really good manager, Paul Barber, it just looks like the club hasn't got just a good side and very good manager but is also being run well off the pitch. "

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Imagine you were divorced and your ex-wife, who you think screwed you over, came from and still lived in the town you used to play professional football for.

Maybe just maybe if you were able to regularly broadcast on national TV, you'd make derogatory remarks about that club, but really, you're having a dig at her.

What are these derogratory remarks about the Albion ? Thread after thread says he does and when you look and read the interviews, watch the clips, search on youtube - all you find is positive comment after positive comment. Its a total myth.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yep. He never stops. Just this morning.

"You've got to have somebody who on the bad days, whether thats a Hemed, a Murray , a Knockeart who can win you the game and thats what Albion have got. ..Brighton and Newcastle are the 2 outstanding teams...I honestly don't think the [chasing pack] will catch the top 2
Bloom has done a sensational job, Hughton is a really good manager, Paul Barber, it just looks like the club hasn't got just a good side and very good manager but is also being run well off the pitch. "

https://audioboom.com/posts/5454647...mark-lawrenson-joins-danny-pike-on-bbc-sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What are these derogratory remarks about the Albion ? Thread after thread says he does and when you look and read the interviews, watch the clips, search on youtube - all you find is positive comment after positive comment. Its a total myth.

What I find curious is why this myth persists. I've read plenty of interviews where he's spoken fondly of his time at Brighton and yet this idea that he slags them off keeps resurfacing.

It was being spoken about three years ago and it was tiresome then ... it still is.

EDIT: Just seen that Jem posted the Goldstone Wrap link, hadn't read the whole thread so missed it but I'm sure there are other examples scattered around the place

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
The idea that he's erased Brighton from his memory or *never* says positive things about us is a myth.
See various examples over the years where he's sung the praises of Albion...
https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/1...presses-his-love-for-brighton-down-the-years/

Spot on.

Am almost 100% certain he's just on message about keeping the club under the radar and putting pressure on Newcastle.

Also don't forget he was part of Kevin Keegan's coaching staff the first time round at Newcastle and I think he was treated harshly by them so much more likely to be a tongue in cheek snide remark about them above all else.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

I remember meeting him at some Brighton event, can't remember what it was. Anyway firstly he was there and secondly when asked about the difference between playing for Brighton and Liverpool described playing for Brighton as the most enjoyable part of his career and Liverpool as the professional part of his career.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It is so tiring. Met Lawro twice... both times always spoke well of Brighton..... maybe it was before he got divorced.....:shrug:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I remember meeting him at some Brighton event, can't remember what it was. Anyway firstly he was there and secondly when asked about the difference between playing for Brighton and Liverpool described playing for Brighton as the most enjoyable part of his career and Liverpool as the professional part of his career.

Yep, saw him interviewed once and he said the exact same thing; highlighting that the Brighton dressing room was full of talent but even more full of laughs.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Let's keep our feet on the ground here, we won today which is excellent, but things could have gone differently.

Newcastle SHOULD win this league , they have the best players and most money, they are missing baldy too who is a massive miss. Lawrenson may well be right, but he can poke his thoughts up his bum.

Game by game !!!

They have the most overrated players in many cases but not sure the best players. The ones that were with them last season failed and the ones brought in over the close season are good but are not at present the best because they are not top. Paying top dollar does not automatically mean your the best.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Who gives a toss about Lawro? He's just a massive whiny old granny. The reason he doesn't mention Brighton is because the club bought him a dress, a pair of reading glasses and a knitting kit for his 22nd birthday.

Lawro is eternally bitter at the fact he never made it as a house wife for Alan Hanson. Let's not take it personally.

This.

Maybe in private or in interviews he will give a positive view of Brighton. Considering his great career with Albion, in his pundit role he seems to have a bad taste in his mouth about us. Put it this way, unless someone else mentions it when BHA are mentioned he doesn't smile nostalgically about his time with us or even talk about us with any enthusiasm. You would think he never even played for us. Just don't get it. We all think he is a legend, up there with Wardy in my book. WTF. :shrug:

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Indeed. 4 games ago Derby were the in form team, having won 6 on the bounce. In the last 4 games we've gained 7 points on them. If that had gone the other way we'd now be level. Things can change so quickly, there's a very long way to go.

Over 17 games we have been the best. Not just a little good run. Firmly believe we will win the title.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Leave Lawro alone. He always speaks well of the Albion when asked. His chat on BBC Sussex today shows it. Yes he is a PNE fan because he supports his local team as a boy. He was brilliant for us and Dunk is proving to be a worthy successor.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Put it this way, unless someone else mentions it when BHA are mentioned he doesn't smile nostalgically about his time with us or even talk about us with any enthusiasm. You would think he never even played for us. Just don't get it.

Yes, this is how I see it too. I know he has been very stoutly defended on here, with links to some of his purple prose about Brighton - but when he's talking to The Albion Roar or BBC Sussex, yes, he is going to talk about his time at Brighton, and about the club now. It's called 'answering questions'!

But as you say, unless somebody else actually brings up the subject of the Albion, he always seems not to mention us. He doesn't say bad things about us - as far as I know anyway; he just doesn't say anything unless it's drawn from him. Strange - you'd have thought those four years in his late teens and early twenties when he was really making a name for himself must have been a really exciting time for him.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
You are so right,even Chris admitted we were fortunate,I am surprised that Newcastle have slipped up a few times but their squad is far the best and they have a Premiership standard manager so I consider they will top the league at the end of the season

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Yes, this is how I see it too. I know he has been very stoutly defended on here, with links to some of his purple prose about Brighton - but when he's talking to The Albion Roar or BBC Sussex, yes, he is going to talk about his time at Brighton, and about the club now. It's called 'answering questions'!

But as you say, unless somebody else actually brings up the subject of the Albion, he always seems not to mention us. He doesn't say bad things about us - as far as I know anyway; he just doesn't say anything unless it's drawn from him. Strange - you'd have thought those four years in his late teens and early twenties when he was really making a name for himself must have been a really exciting time for him.

Exactly my point. :thumbsup:
Considering at the end of his time with us he was worth nearly 5x what we paid for him on the market and went on to greatness as a top flight/international player, his muted view of us in his role as pundit pisses me off a bit. We loved him like the legend he was for us. Ho hum. Maybe it's a 'northerner' thing, apparently he never wanted to leave Preston. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here