Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot? part 2

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
gone for leeds momentum building and will take a lot to stop.. them or reading only teams I think that can pip Newcastle to 2nd spot. ;)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still Norwich for me, purely because they have very knowledgable fans who say Hughton is negative & plays boring football.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Still Norwich for me, purely because they have very knowledgable fans who say Hughton is negative & plays boring football.

:lolol:
Do their fans realise that today was only their second win against the current top 14 sides? (W2 D3 L9)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:lolol:
Do their fans realise that today was only their second win against the current top 14 sides? (W2 D3 L9)

Mad to think them and Newcastle were looking like pulling away at one point. I really believe the manner of that 5-0 thumping at the Amex dented their hopes an awful lot - and also boosted ours a massive amount :)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Mad to think them and Newcastle were looking like pulling away at one point. I really believe the manner of that 5-0 thumping at the Amex dented their hopes an awful lot - and also boosted ours a massive amount :)

I was wondering a similar thing about us ending other teams runs as well. I'd like to know which team is the best at upsetting the form of others, although I suppose the sample size of in-form teams is only so large at any one time, so it could be a fruitless search.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was wondering a similar thing about us ending other teams runs as well. I'd like to know which team is the best at upsetting the form of others, although I suppose the sample size of in-form teams is only so large at any one time, so it could be a fruitless search.

Barnsley, Brizzle, Fulham (h) are 3 off top of my head who I think we're in good form before playing us.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
leeds were in good form when we beat them. but still in good form since then

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Reading or Leeds, can't see anyone else getting close. Bemused by those who think Derby given how far back they are and the way the fixture list has thrown up a much trickier 2nd half

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

To be fair I think losing at the death to Toon having been winning was more damaging to their confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Bemused by those who think Derby given how far back they are and the way the fixture list has thrown up a much trickier 2nd half

Although these comments may look stupid given their result today, we should remember just how far back Burnley were last season (36 after 23 games). I think Derby are the best team out of the top 2, and 21 games is more than enough time to make that more important than the 5 points that seperate them and 3rd. Yes I think they are too far behind to get more than about 90 points, but then again I don't see any of the other sides being good enough to go on a Burnley-esque run.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Next round of matches includes :

Massive v Huddersfield
Leeds v Derby

after which the thread question might be easier.

( Reading of course have an easy game vs QPR ).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Although these comments may look stupid given their result today, we should remember just how far back Burnley were last season (36 after 23 games). I think Derby are the best team out of the top 2, and 21 games is more than enough time to make that more important than the 5 points that seperate them and 3rd. Yes I think they are too far behind to get more than about 90 points, but then again I don't see any of the other sides being good enough to go on a Burnley-esque run.

I don't think they look stupid but I'm struggling to understand the basis of them, and have had the debate with Triggar too.

I can't disagree they look stronger on paper than most but then so do the likes of Narch and Villa. They have been in good form but in that 10 game unbeaten run they only played 2 v teams in the top 10 (w1, d1). They have a real tricky run of games coming up and still have to play every team above them (except Hudd's) away from home.

Burnley did do it but I think the more realistic threat will come from 1 of those nearer to us

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bemused by those who think Derby given how far back they are and the way the fixture list has thrown up a much trickier 2nd half
How far back? They're only 6 points behind Reading and Huddersfield, and they're playing a lot better (their form since the manager change has been decent).

Understood re the trickier 2nd half, but most of us don't look at at.
Derby have also been the bookies' favourite to challenge the top 2.

I can't disagree they look stronger on paper than most but then so do the likes of Narch and Villa.
I think the difference with the latter 2 is a) they have even further to make up, and b) they haven't had the form to suggest they could do it. Derby have.

They have a real tricky run of games coming up and still have to play every team above them (except Hudd's) away from home
As above, that may be the biggest thing most are overlooking. But Experimental had them as the 2nd most likely challenger after reading just a few days ago, and they do take into account the run in, while not even accounting for the change in manager and form.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think QPR will be that easy for Reading--the Rangers won't score but it will not be easy.
QPR have now won their last 2 games 2-1, so maybe a corner has been turned.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I watched the C5 highlights and I think Ollie has got the never say die attitude drilled unto them so I don't think QPR will be easy for Reading.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How far back? They're only 6 points behind Reading and Huddersfield, and they're playing a lot better (their form since the manager change has been decent).

Understood re the trickier 2nd half, but most of us don't look at at.
Derby have also been the bookies' favourite to challenge the top 2.

I think the difference with the latter 2 is a) they have even further to make up, and b) they haven't had the form to suggest they could do it. Derby have.

As above, that may be the biggest thing most are overlooking. But Experimental had them as the 2nd most likely challenger after reading just a few days ago, and they do take into account the run in, while not even accounting for the change in manager and form.

I get some of that and I'm not suggesting Narch and Villa will make the ground up, just using them as examples of good looking squads on paper

I just think we (and I do include myself) the bookies and media get a bit carried away with Derby just because we expect them to be there or there abouts. But looking at it a little more rationally and I'm unconvinced.

Bit of a futile argument right now, I get what you and others are saying, but can't see it myself for reasons explained

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here