Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How well is your UK Geography ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Boston? Could we do a 'around America trip' using only towns in England?

There are probably a few we could do but the Spanish names (LA, SF, San Diego etc) will be a barrier so will the native American ones. It works better the other way round: we can find a Manchester, Birmingham, Norwich, Bristol etc in the USA

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

No. But there is Albrighton.

There are TWO Albrightons in Shropshire. One is near Shrewsbury and the other is near Wolverhampton. I've already mentioned one village that was the birthplace of an ancestor of mine. My great great great great grandfather was born in Albrighton by Wolverhampton.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
My geography is feeling very well thank you....

How good is your geography ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There are probably a few we could do but the Spanish names (LA, SF, San Diego etc) will be a barrier so will the native American ones. It works better the other way round: we can find a Manchester, Birmingham, Norwich, Bristol etc in the USA

And Plymouth and Brighton.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Having spent some time in Kernow, Cornwall has the best names for towns & villages. Off the top of my head, 3 that spring to mind.
1. Praze-an-beeble.
2. London Apprentice.
3. Sticker

Chipshop is one of my favourites.
There are also lots of Wheals which is something to do with mining, my favourite is Wheal Honey.

Chipshop is one of my favourites.
Are you sure? You might have just seen a shop sign in the main street.

One of the amusing things about travelling by train in Italy is overhearing conversations between tourists who don't have any knowledge of the language ... "Where are we?" "It's a place called Uscita".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Okay, where are the following:

1. California?
2. Houston?

Having got those, another rather important US city has at least two namesakes in the United Kingdom, one of them not too far from most of us. Which is it?
California and Houston - south west corner of Scotland. Ayrshire? Kirkcudbright?

Still no takers for the lands of Canaan, Eden and Jordan?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Are you sure? You might have just seen a shop sign in the main street.

One of the amusing things about travelling by train in Italy is overhearing conversations between tourists who don't have any knowledge of the language ... "Where are we?" "It's a place called Uscita".

Unless you are joking LB it's between Tavistock and Gunnislake right on the Devon/Cornwall border in the Tamar valley.
To be fair though blink and you miss it.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
There is a California Cross in Devon I recall on the way to Kingsbridge. Washington Tyne and Wear and Washington West Side Sussex are the others. Is Houston anywhere near Boston?

Hollywood

California is in Birmingham.

The place that isn't an important US city is not far from Ashington, whether we are talking about West Sussex or the north east of England.

Boston? Could we do a 'around America trip' using only towns in England?

My knowledge has increased because of this thread. The California I was thinking of is a small village near Great Yarmouth. I didn't know of any others. Lord B, I was thinking of Washington; I don't know where there is an Ashington in the USA, but there are plenty of towns with English names there, so maybe there is one. Perhaps I gave too much of a clue; the other one I was thinking of was to say that [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] lives near one, [MENTION=5238]Brian Fantana[/MENTION] near the other one. The only one I've got people stuck on is Houston, which is in Renfrewshire.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hollywood's in Brum.New Invention is my local favourite,with Indian Queens always giving me a chuckle when we go by.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
whats with grinstead?
and why only a east and west and not a north and south?

They are called East and West to differentiate them. In other words, there were originally two places in Sussex both called Grinstead. To distinguish between them, one was labelled East the other West.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
California is on Stirlingshire near Falkirk. Houston is a someone as said already a town near Paisley in Renfrewshire. Is Hollywood not in Northern Ireland? I think it's where Rory McIlroys is from.

How about Moscow?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
A fortune teller told my mother that she would die in an accident in Hull. She avoided the place her whole life and died of cancer in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Failed on both counts. :shrug:

I guess it could be argued that the fortune teller did do her one favour - made her avoid Hull all her life. How is that dump our new city of culture FFS?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here