Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How well is your UK Geography ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Old Man of Hoy was featured quite often in climbing programmes. Pretty sure there was a live one once.
So how many Old Men Of Hoy have there been? How did the Old Man get " re-animated "? was it Loki or Imhotep from The Mummy and who turned him back to stone?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No cheating.

Pocklington.

About 12 miles east of York, used to go there every year as one of my Clients has a Factory in what was originally a Hanger on the RAF Bomber Command Base. Some of the Main Runway is still there and used by the local Glider Club. As with many old wartime airfields there is a strange vibe about the place, hundreds of men left there and met violent deaths.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Okay, where are the following:

1. California?
2. Houston?

Having got those, another rather important US city has at least two namesakes in the United Kingdom, one of them not too far from most of us. Which is it?

There is a California Cross in Devon I recall on the way to Kingsbridge. Washington Tyne and Wear and Washington West Side Sussex are the others. Is Houston anywhere near Boston?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Another 'Old Man ' this ones 'Storr ' taken on our travels a few years back. FB_IMG_1483349340563.jpg

Okay, where are the following:

1. California?
2. Houston?

Having got those, another rather important US city has at least two namesakes in the United Kingdom, one of them not too far from most of us. Which is it?
California is in Birmingham.

The place that isn't an important US city is not far from Ashington, whether we are talking about West Sussex or the north east of England.

Last edited:

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Goatacre....no googling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Having spent some time in Kernow, Cornwall has the best names for towns & villages. Off the top of my head, 3 that spring to mind.
1. Praze-an-beeble.
2. London Apprentice.
3. Sticker

And there's a Brighton down here - any others in the UK? (Apart from the original, and "New Brighton".)

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Having spent some time in Kernow, Cornwall has the best names for towns & villages. Off the top of my head, 3 that spring to mind.
1. Praze-an-beeble.
2. London Apprentice.
3. Sticker

Crows an Wra always makes me laugh

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here